hi point 995 9mm carbine

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hq357, Jan 17, 2014.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Today I stopped by the gun shop too browse around and found a cool but funky looking gun its a 9mm carbine and was for sale at only 300$ I handled it and it felt pretty solid. I don't own a 9mm carbine but would love to have one! Has anyone bought this rifle? If so post some pics tell me about it is it worth it? Or is there a better 9mm carbine for around the same price? Friend of mine already ownes a kel tec sub 2000 and I'm a little jealous I want my own 9 mil carbine :)

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I have a Hi-Point 995 and I like it. I haven't shot it past 50 yds, using iron sights, but it is quite accurate so far. It's eaten everything I've fed it with only 1 stovepipe. It will never win a beauty contest but it is fun to shoot.

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I don't know much about the Hi Point. I've a Sub 2k. What I know about it NOW, is you need to shoot brass with it. Steel gets stuck.

4. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

I had high point 995s good to about 80 easy 100 ok better with a scope I bet (mine were factory sights) good solid weapon fun to shoot...no complaints here

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I had one and it would feed any ammo I tried, but I wasn't very accurate with it. I'd say it was me and not the gun, I've heard pretty good stuff about them.

6. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

I had one for a while, it was fun to play with and always worked. I didn't like the 10 round mag and its really not a quality built carbine. I bought mine NIB for $225 proly 5 years ago in Austin. Sold it for $185 2 years ago, should have asked more for it! now that I see what they sell for new.
    I found that its cool for plinking, but other than that it served no good purpose for me.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'd go for the 40 Cal sub 2000 if I had the choice. Either way it is still just a toy.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

8. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I think its a good fun gun. If you look around you can find 15 round mags. Theres a clip hi point has that holds 2 10 round mags in the stock and there foward grip has another ond of the multi tools in the bottem of it.

9. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Nevermind

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

My 995 is the old stock style camo colored with a BSA red dot sight. Its a reliable and accurate carbine that's a lot of fun to shoot. I paid around $225 for mine and it came with 3 mags and a buttstock mag pouch that holds 2 10rd magazines. Been about 4yrs or so back so I think $300 isn't a bad price for today.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've got a 995TS. You get a lot for the money. Rails, sling,

take down tools, iron sights. Works well with a red dot.

The company is based in Ohio, and has an incredible

warranty/guarantee. Pretty much any owner, forever, and

a quick turnaround.

I'd say the weak link is the mags, which

can cause a feeding problem, if you allow the first round to

cock upwards.

12. renoboyd

renoboyd New Member

fun

Hey I got the 45 version, with all the normal extras. Only complaint is slide handle comes loose, but a bit o lock tite solved that. Otherwise, in 45acp its more fun than I expected to have. Eats all my stupid reloads like nothin. I put a red dot on it for fun, and will be out this weekend shooting it. But open sights were small (my old eyes not doing as good). But accuracy was pretty amazing for the cheapo gun. I would say truly maxed at 150yds, but should keep it sub 100. It feels like velocities were pretty high and with the carbine length on an acp, that makes sense. ONLY other wish; HIGH CAP MAGS! Lifetime warranty pushed me over the edge on the buy.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I prefer the old style 995 but to each his own. $300 is a lot for that gun. Buds has the 995 with an accessory for the same money.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The carbine

mag would fit one of their pistols...:(

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Bama, you and I have the old school 995. I bought mine when they first came out. Mine came with the butt stock 2 mag wrap, and a compensator. Ready for the price I paid brand new............. $110.00. I put a Soviet era 4x32mm scope on it. Very accurate. I put it through a torture test. I would only clean the bore, no internal parts. It ran for close to 15 years without cleaning. It finally stopped cycling. I cleaned it and now it is ready for another 15 years.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

They do look like Charleston Heston should have grabbed one. They are stamped steel, not pot or white steel. One of my co-workers bought a new one. He likes it quite a bit. Bought it after shooting mine. BTW, besides not cleaning I used the stock to open a stuck door. It cracked in a blind spot near the rear of the receiver, but again, still functions. I'll replace the stock someday. You can't see the break unless you remove the action. It has shot very hot 85gr bullets, 147gr subsonic JHP, more reloads then I can list. If a load was suspect, put it in the 995.
    [​IMG]

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I just like the simplicity of these rifles.

Lots of plastic, as well as a spring loaded stock, to soak up recoil;

the bolt is actually a bolt, and form follows function.

19. Squawk

Squawk New Member

IMHO, Hi point makes the ugliest guns known to man. But I have heard there Carbine are fun to shoot.