hi point 9 or s&w 9

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by codyd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. codyd

codyd New Member

Looking for house hold saftey and got a choice between hi point 9mm for 200 after tax or a s&w 9mm around 270 after tax just want some opinions on what some people think is the best appreciate the help.

2. Sooie

Sooie New Member

1. Buy used

2. Don't buy high point

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Well, $200 is way to much for a Hi-Point. I am going to assume you are talking about a S&W Sigma, so my choice would be the Sigma.:cool:

4. codyd

codyd New Member

yes its the sw9ve sigma

5. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Get the sigma.

Hipoints get a bad rap but at $200 its about $100 more than I would pay for one. you could also buy a used hipoint as they have no questions asked lifetime warranties.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

^^Spoken by someone who has never had one^^

But, $200 for a C9 is a bit overpriced. $270 for a Sigma is a bit overpriced.

Still, if those are your only choices and you can't find a used Makarov or used CZ, I would go with the Sigma. No, I would go with the Hi-Point. No, the Sigma. No, well you get the idea.

I don't have a Sigma but I do have a Hi-Point in .45. Mine has been good to me with over 2k rounds through it. I don't shoot it much these days.

If you are looking for a home defense weapon in that price range, go with a Mossberg shotgun. Just my humble opinion.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Get the Sigma. I haven't had either personally, but that's what I would choose. You can find a good used one for much less. :cool:

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I haven't owned either but I would lean hard towards the Sigma. High points have a bad rep and if you want to carry it you might as well stuff a brick in your pants.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I've owned both and recommend the Sigma. You'll have to practice with it to get used to the heavy trigger.

10. lkd

lkd New Member

The Hi Point is NOT what I would ever own, unless I wanted a gun that I _hoped_ would be stolen.

Yeah, that's it. I'd get a Hi Point as a decoy pistol.

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

ROFL!!! A decoy pistol, that was funny! :D

12. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

If hi-points werent around the my god what would we bash on a daily basis:rolleyes:.

Fact of the matter is that they work and will go boom when you need them to and yes they are ugly as stink and heavy. Does the sigma have any torture videos? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg]YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test[/ame]

And they do not have jamming issues any more than say a taurus or keltec.

The sigma was plauged by problems and S&W finally worked it out.

Hi-point did the same thing and make reliable firearms. I owned a C9 at one point but traded it for ammo and it was a good very accurate pistol.

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Cobra, jennings, bryco, davis, ummmmmmm....taurus.........gl*ck......

:D You asked!!

14. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Are the first 4 even around anymore? I guess if it was 1999 we could bash them :D.

I take it you own a keltec/rock island/para/H&K or one of the other bashable firearms that exist :p

if anyone gets huffy I know these are quality guns but each have something to bash whether it be price or whatnot.

15. General_lee

General_lee New Member

If nothing else, get the Smith because it's so much easier to field strip and clean.
    Hi-Point requires a hammer and punch to take apart.

16. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Bear that's an understatement, those Sigmas have lawyer triggers. The High Point may indeed be one of the biggest pieces of junk out there but it has a better trigger that those Sigmas. How can a person accurately shoot a Sigma beyond me.

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I can bash like it's 1999!!!! OWW!!! :D

True, I'm not going to argue your points. You win, but I will not change!!

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Here's advice that I now live by after several hasty decisions that left me with a gun that was "good enough" and not something I really wanted:

Take your time and look around. If you got $200 to spend, you are very close to a used (nothing wrong with used, especially when we're talking quality) higher (not top) end handgun. SAVE UP! Your options will grow exponentially and you will have so much more fun when shopping for the "one". And with just a bit more resources you can find a handgun that will fit your needs and last the rest of your life.

Tell us a little bit about what you want this pistol to be. (carry, home/truck gun) That would help us, help you better. If this is your first handgun I would tell you to shoot a couple .357 revolvers and strongly consider one. A Ruger GP100 can be found for $400 or less, depending on condition. That gun will never die!

Give us a little more info and we'll get you into something you can trust your life with and be damn proud of!

19. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I want to let each and every one of you Sigma trigger haters shoot "The Worlds Greatest Sigma™". All your wimpy fingers.:D

I believe a range report with "The Worlds Greatest Sigma™" is needed.

Stay Tuned...

Will Shihan convince a forum of Sigma haters on the awesomeness?:D

Will people come to realize the Sigma is superior to the Glock?:D