hi point 45 acp

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bs1984, Apr 15, 2012.

1. bs1984

bs1984 New Member

What's the pros and cons on the hi point 45 acp thinking about getting one just for home defense

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Pros= price & functionality
    cons= looks, bulk, maybe long term durability

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Hi point is good for plinking fun, but for home defense it's better to spend the extra money on a more reliable .45 from one of the more reputable brands

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Not many cons really. A lot of people talk crap mercilessly about them, but just youtube hi point torture test and make your own decision.

Well...one con for sure. Hi points are extremely tough to disassemble to clean. It involves removing a roll pin in the frame. What I'd recommend doing when it comes time to clean it, is break something on it using a hammer, and then ship it back to them. Their warranty and CS are peerless. They will fix it, clean it, and likely give you an extra mag or upgraded peep sights for it. They don't ask questions, they just send you back a working gun. And the warranty follows the gun, not the owners, so you can buy one that's been through five or six different owners, Hi Point don't give a damn, they'll still fix it.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The $189.00 Hi Point .45 JHP shoots the same bullets as the $650.00 Colt 1911. It may be a little too heavy for the weak-backs, but it will do the job when called upon. It is not a competition gun; it is a gun of defense. Not many survive a .45 to the torso, and it will tear ones leg clean off.

6. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

We don't have the .45 but we do have the .40S&W, same size and weight I believe, only thing I don't like is the plastic grips, there are no aftermarket replaceable's, you've gotta get a Hogue Handall slip on. I did have a problem when I shot it a couple times it wouldn't cycle, wound up the "finger's" on the magazine that hold the cartridges down needed to be bent out a little.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Come on now. I love the .45 ACP as much as the next guy but..."tear ones leg clean off"? I'm certain you just forgot the:rolleyes:Icon...right?

Tack

8. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Are we not allowed to embellish a little when expressing pride in one’s weapon? The gun experts will work through it. It’s the novice that will get sucked in. I can't just lie to everybody...

9. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

I do not own one and most likely never will but I know 3 people that do own one, all 3 love it and have nothing but good to say about the hi point 45.... My self I just can't get by the looks.

10. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

You shouldn't about something that someone may stake their life on. I for one can't understand how a company can make a quality firearm, offer a life time warranty, and do it all for under $200 bucks in this economy.

If their made in China with sweat shop/slave labor maybe but something just isn't adding up

11. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Very limited parts needed in the straight blow back action hi point design uses.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

would i ever buy one? maybe. it would end up a truck toolbox gun. i think for the price and the warranty, and that most seem to do what a gun is suppose to do is fire a bullet, they are a good pistol for someone on a very limited budget who needs a pistol. as far as cheap pistols, they are probably one of the best values out there. if you have a bigger budget, there are much better options available, but if not and a person needed a cheap pistol for protection, i believe they are a good pistol to buy.

13. bs1984

bs1984 New Member

I don't mind how ugly the gun is I like the bigger profile of it since I have large hands but I'm also looking at a Smith & Wesson 9mm

14. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Forget what kind of steel is used on the slide but it is cheaper than the common gun steel, its the reason their slides have to be so much thicker. Consequently much heavier.

15. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The guns are rated for over-pressure ammunition, the extra weight is needed to handle the pressure and resulting recoil. Hi Point guns will handle all factory ammunition, +P or +P+ ammunition. One of the greatest features of Hi Point guns is no matter what happens to them I can send them back to the factory and they will send me a brand new one free of charge. Try that with any other brand.

16. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Sure, it cost them $25 bucks to make so yeah there is a little wiggle room there. I dont know how much they cost per unit, per man hours for labor ect ect but I'm guessing $25 bucks seems dead on......lol

17. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Pencil me in for 17 of them.

18. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

I have heard a lot of bad reviews, but it seems those talking the smack never owned one. I would buy one, yes, but not as a primary defensive weapon. It would serve well as a plinking gun, something I could throw in the tool box of a truck and not worry about, even a gun I would put on a boat and not care if it sinks, but there is just something about them being at SUCH. A low price point that makes me nervous about staking my life or the lives of my loved ones on one of them.... It just makes me apprehensive. That's one thing I require out of guns that I deem my HD guns, I need to have the utmost certainty, beyond a doubt, that they will function flawlessly is needed. Some may be able to say this about hi-point pistols, I'm just not one of them (note that I do not own one).

I would, with all due respect to hi-point, advise on purchasing something else for a primary home defense gun, and THEN buying up a ton of hi-points to use for fun and outdoor uses. I soon will be purchasing a S&W M&P series pistol for that HD role, but have desires for a hi-point carbine in the future just for sh!ts as well as a pistol or two just to throw around.

19. bs1984

bs1984 New Member

Thanks for the advice ill prolly end up going with the s&w for the HD purpose

20. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Not a problem man, I just wish I could offer a more experienced piece of advice in regard to the hi-point pistols. Some people swear by them, but for me to have piece of mind it's going to take something proven, something I see LEOs/military using to defend themselves. Best of luck to ya!