Hi-Point .45 ACP

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by xzqzq, Jan 7, 2011.

1. xzqzq

xzqzq New Member

Is the Hi-Point .45 ACP pistol any good ? Does anyone have one ? Thanks, George

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome to the FTF community George.

I don't have any personal experience with Hi Point pistols, but there are folks here that do. I'm sure they'll be around soon.

When you get the chance, please head over to the Introduction forum and introduce yourself to the folks.

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Not sure how they shoot but they are heavy. Hi point has a good rep for repairs and such.

Since this is your first post I will ask you to stop by the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I have one and over 2k rounds through it. They are what they are and that is a heavy pistol with a fixed barrel. I will say that I have not shot it much since the 1911 showed up, but that is not saying that they are not worth anything.

Here's my opinion told more truthfully than you will find anywhere. They are just fine shooters for a range or plinking pistol. The mags are chealply made and there are no aftermarket mags for them. The warranty is second to none and if they were as bad as people say, then the company would be out of business especially when considering the price of a new one. I would use it for defense if that is all I had, but they are not a concealed carry gun due to weight and bulk. So, do they work? Yes they do. Are they worth the price? Yes they are. Do they compare to other makes in the same caliber? No they do not. Would I buy one for the sole purpose of defense? No I would not. For the same money, you can get used pistols or shotguns that will serve you just as good or better without the bulk and poorly made mags. Jmo that is formed by being an owner and shooter of one. Over 2k rounds throuh mine and I can count the number of hiccups on one hand.

5. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Had one, it's fine, US made, +p rated, fun range gun, very inexpensive, good customer service

6. azlester

azlester New Member

My better half and I each own one. We have had them now for 6 yrs. Thyey are what they are. They shoot well because of the weight. We have not had issue 1 with either pistol. They go bang everytime with cheap FMJ ammo which is all we shoot with them. They are pretty accurate too. They are great range guns and truck guns. So long as you expect them to be what they are you will have little to no problems. If your expecting to get a custom 45 then you will be disappointed.

7. PSmitty1

PSmitty1 New Member

I've seen many a dead thug with a double fed or stovepiped hi-point in his hand. I would never trust my life to one.

8. xzqzq

xzqzq New Member

Thanks For The Info

Thanks all, for your perspective on the Hi-Point .45.... I am not big on fancy: a pistol I recently shot that I liked was the CZ52, firing the 7.62 Tok round...in contrast, the Glock 17 I bought my wife for Xmas has turned out to be a real disappointment....misfiring, jamming.... :mad:I never had these sort of problems with a new pistol before... I took it back to the dealer, and am in no hurry to check back on it....

9. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Smitty, I've no doubt you have. But you can bet your house that these things never get cleaned, have never been cleaned, and have never been maintained in any way.

Toss in the Hollywood style shooting technique these thugs popularize and you've got a limp-wrist special. Even as heavy as they are, I've done it. It is possible to make these things somewhat reliable, but the thug culture can't seem to operate belts very precisely.

And I'm sure that Hi-Point's mission statement is not to build affordable handguns that doggedly withstand combat conditions and last forever. If my budget could only afford $150, I wouldn't be buying a fingernail file... or a Louisville Slugger, either.

Is "thug" code for something. :) You can tell us, we're all friends here. Keep up the struggle, it would be chaos without you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  10. PSmitty1

PSmitty1 New Member

I should clarify that I don't have any experience with hi-point 45s. It's the 9 mm that I've seen all the problems with. A lady that works with my father brought her hi point to him to see if he could fix it because it kept "jamming". My dad had broke it down and given it a good good scrubbing. We shot it with both mags and it would double feed after every round it fired. We're not gunsmiths and never could get it to stop double feeding.

Because of this I'm just not fond of high point.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  11. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

I have a Hi-point 45 and it has never failed, its heavy, its ugly, it was $169 so what the heck. If it did FTF or FTE I could throw it and do some serious damage if I connected.

12. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I had a Hi Point .45 until yesterday. It's a great gun. Accurate and reliable. Only reason I sold it was a good friend wanted it and gave me a good price.
    Also, I've got my eye on a S&W .357 and need room. :D

13. BLRacing67

BLRacing67 New Member

So there is a lot of "Dead Thugs" in middle TN, that died with the gun still in their hand?

14. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

OK I gotta say something about Hi Point. There are a lot of rumors of people saying this and that bout them. But when push comes to shove, they cant tell ya where they heard it.
    Hi-Point makes budget guns. But they go bang when needed. They are heavy, bulky and egonomic as a brick, but they go bang. As with any firearm there are junk pieces that pass QC but Hi Point will fix anything. There is only 2 pics of one blowing up. If ya want I can link pics however it is from another forum, and I dont do that. BOTH were from cheap Winchester bulk 9mm ammo, and the funny thing is the Company replaced Both guns for the owners. even though it was not thier fault.

Hi point does make bricks, but for someone on a budget they work. Just take it to the range and try it with all the mags you buy. If it fails to feed send the mags back they will replace them, and usually thow a extra in for your trouble.

So after my long rant what does this mean? IF it is all you can afford... buy one. if ya want something better save for one, but you will not have too much of a problem with one.

BTW any gun will jam and doublefeed if it is neglected. That is why God invented CLP, and toothbrushes.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would rank em a step or two ahead of glock for durability. never heard of a high point kaboom.

16. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

Sent ya the link of the only photos of 2 theat went, but they were the ammo that did it. Would love to post the link, but unsure if mods like other boards on thiers.

However as I said above they are reliable and the company is good.

17. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I can't argue with that. :cool:

I could argue with that. :cool:

18. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

Holy crap. Looks like I typed that while drinking too much Cough Syrup!!

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

that would be the very first ive heard of a high point kaboom. still rate em higher than glock heh.

20. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

Actually is showed me the reason to consider one. It went KABOOM and the guy can still type!
    Does not mean at all I am, but it shows that they are actually well made.