Hi im new here

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by blackpowder, Dec 19, 2008.

1. blackpowder

blackpowder New Member

And i got a few questions i got a old musket looks to be about 1850's or so its got a name on the barrel that says bubans dacier. What i need help with is determining when this gun was made hasnt been shot off in over 50 years im sure. I got some pictures[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! First, that is not a musket, but a double barreled muzzleloading shotgun. The term acier (or d'acier) is French for steel. Do not think that is the MAKE of your gun, but the composition of the barrels (Twist steel) The barrels appear to be Damascus, or "twist" steel- which was pretty good for black powder- when they were made- about 150 yrs ago. From the rust showing in the pictures, I would not shoot this with ANYTHING- black or nitro. Damascus barrels did not age well, especially when exposed to corrosive effects of black powder. IF you can remove the forearm, you may find some markings there that would give a clue- makers name, or proof marks. You might also run a google search for images of French shotguns, such as the Darne, and see if anything matches up. BTW, if you can find a product called KROIL, it is the best penetrating oil I have ever seen- can actually get under rust and loosen it without scrubbing that will kill collector value. Not cheap, works incredible well.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome here. Whatever you do, don't try to shoot that thing! Have fun. ;)

4. cbw

cbw New Member

Welcome, Hey there is a frog on your clock sneaking up on your Gun! :D

5. zrozano

zrozano New Member

Wow it looks like you've got a great restoration project in the making. If i were you i would find out how to properly restore this piece. It looks really interesting and i bet it has a lot of history behind it. Good luck. Also, if you don't plan on restoring it, i would gladly pay to take it off your hands for you :)

6. blackpowder

blackpowder New Member

Its not my gun its my dads he has a bunch of older interesting guns like that one that i dont know much about. Wouldnt it be worth more if you kept it original? even to a collector?.

7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Nothing wrong with cleaning it up or shooting it if it's in good enough shape. I've got an 1840ish Ancion that's a shooter.

[​IMG]