Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I logged in from good old germany.
I am 36 years old and finally managed to get my first semi auto pistol.
That is not so easy here in germany. Lot`s of laws and rules that make it hard.

I hope I will find some interesting folks here to talk with.

So greetings from germany
Ken

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Forum - Perhaps you can give us a run down of what it takes to obtain a gun in Germany?

Looking forward to your take on several issues around the forum.

JD

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

a run down on how to optain a gun in germany.
o.k. get out the beer and chips. This will take some time..;-))

For the frst you must be at least 25 years old befor you can purchase a gun.

The run down is as followed:

You must be registered in a recognized shooting club or a shooting group and registered in a shooting organization, such as the BDMP, DSB, BDS, etc. Depending in the organization you are registered in, you have the different shooting disciplines (like IPSC). Also depending on the orginazation, you can only purchase handguns authorized by these disciplines.
Not all organisations for instance will permit a 6" S&W in .44 Magnum.
You must be registered there for at least one year and also shoot guns in this time. Eitehr you have a friend that will lend you his gun to train with or you are stuck with rental guns from the range.
After this year and at least 12 times shooting, that you must proove by having a shooting book. In this shooting book, you note down every time you have gone shooting and each entry must signed by an official of the range.

After this year you can apply for the requirement of a gun at the organiziation you are registered in. This usually takes two or three weeks to be processed.
After receiving this document, you can go to the public hunting and weapons authority and apply for a permit to purchase a handgun. This application takes another four to ten weeks to be processed, depending on the tow you live in. Mine took 3 or 4 weeks.
In this time you can go to a gun dealer and pick a gun and have in laid back for you.
To save time, I had my gunsmith give all relevant details about my CZ75, that I need for the permit and took that to the public authority, when I picked up the permit. That saved time and money.
After receiving the permit and also the permition to purchase ammo in the needed caliber, I could go back to the gunsmith and take my baby home.

So, when I would want to purchase a further gun or a rifle, I would have to apply for the new requirement again and then go to teh public authority again.
Everytime I apply for a new weapon, a full background check is done. No matter if you already own a weapon or not.

I have to continue to fill out my shooting book as a proof of the requirement to own weapons.
So if I would not go to the range for a year or so, I could end having my baby taken away, since I dont meet the requirement anymore.

So, that was a really quick run on it.

Ken

·
Registered
909 Posts
welcome to the forum
wow...
getting a gun looks like a pain over there
hahaha
hope you like it here
:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That`s for sure. It`s a real pain.

But on the other hand ,it makes sense, since the amount of handguns are reduced to a minimum like this and lots of young guys give it up before they even come close to ending the first year.
That way, mostly only people that are serious about the sport, and that is what it is here in germany can purchase weapons.

There are only two reasons here in germany to purchase guns.
1. Hunting (this way is even more a pain than what I explained)
2. Sport

Self defence is not an option, unless you are an endangered person as mentioned.

Ken

·
Registered
353 Posts
welcome , I have a 32 mauser my father in law brought back from Germany in 1945

·
Registered
962 Posts
welcome to the show. whats the weather like right now in germany

·
Banned
53 Posts
Hi,

a run down on how to optain a gun in germany.
o.k. get out the beer and chips. This will take some time..;-))

For the frst you must be at least 25 years old befor you can purchase a gun.

The run down is as followed:

You must be registered in a recognized shooting club or a shooting group and registered in a shooting organization, such as the BDMP, DSB, BDS, etc. Depending in the organization you are registered in, you have the different shooting disciplines (like IPSC). Also depending on the orginazation, you can only purchase handguns authorized by these disciplines.
Not all organisations for instance will permit a 6" S&W in .44 Magnum.
You must be registered there for at least one year and also shoot guns in this time. Eitehr you have a friend that will lend you his gun to train with or you are stuck with rental guns from the range.
After this year and at least 12 times shooting, that you must proove by having a shooting book. In this shooting book, you note down every time you have gone shooting and each entry must signed by an official of the range.

After this year you can apply for the requirement of a gun at the organiziation you are registered in. This usually takes two or three weeks to be processed.
After receiving this document, you can go to the public hunting and weapons authority and apply for a permit to purchase a handgun. This application takes another four to ten weeks to be processed, depending on the tow you live in. Mine took 3 or 4 weeks.
In this time you can go to a gun dealer and pick a gun and have in laid back for you.
To save time, I had my gunsmith give all relevant details about my CZ75, that I need for the permit and took that to the public authority, when I picked up the permit. That saved time and money.
After receiving the permit and also the permition to purchase ammo in the needed caliber, I could go back to the gunsmith and take my baby home.

So, when I would want to purchase a further gun or a rifle, I would have to apply for the new requirement again and then go to teh public authority again.
Everytime I apply for a new weapon, a full background check is done. No matter if you already own a weapon or not.

I have to continue to fill out my shooting book as a proof of the requirement to own weapons.
So if I would not go to the range for a year or so, I could end having my baby taken away, since I dont meet the requirement anymore.

So, that was a really quick run on it.

Ken

I suppose one good thing about all of this is that I would imagine that you end up learning a little more about gun use and safety than perhaps some here in the US might. Also, I can see what you mean about weeding out those who are too irresponsible and impulsive.

Still, I'm sure all of that can get frustrating and bothersome at times.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is one thing I forgot t mention.

Before one can apply for the requirement oder the permit tp purchace a handgun, you have to do an examination in three topics.
- Gun technics (how does a gun function, different ammo, and so)
- Firearms law (how must a handgun and ammo be stored at home, etc)
- Criminal Law

In my case, when I did that examination, it was when I worked for a security company and I needed the concealed carry permit. The "Waffenschein". Here the examination was taken by three persons of the town authority in Frankfurt including a district attorny.

But even if you just want to have a gun for pure sporting reason, you always have pass that examination.

But you are right, due to this hard and complicated way, you learn a bit more about things like gun safety and so.
Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts