Firearms Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and also new to handguns. I'm going on Monday to apply for my CCW permit. Once in hand, I plan to purchase a weapon for CC.

My only experience with pistols are with a High Standard .22 my father owned. I enjoy shooting and plan to do more of it, especially since I plan to carry.

I look forward to the information here, and have already read many interesting posts. I haven't made a decision yet as to what handgun to purchase (I do have a list of a dozen or so), so that is the kind of information I have been (and will be) seaching for, both here and on the web in general.

Here are some on the list, in no particular order:

Springfield XD
Glock G19, G26
CZ 75 B
Taurus Millineum, 24/7
Ruger SR9, P89
S & W M&P
S & W 640, 642
Charter Arms DAO

I have omitted makes like Kimber and Sig, because frankly I just can't afford them. Not having fired anything other than a .22 in a handgun, I am thinking of a 9mm, for these and other reasons:
  • Availability / cost of ammo
  • Concealability factor
  • World-wide use by many LE Departments/Agencies
  • Recoil control

I plan to go to a local range and rent different weapons to get first-hand knowledge about the differences before purchasing anything.

Opinions / practical experience about any of the above is welcome -

Jeff

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Stainless -

I think you will find the guys here to be plenty knowledgable and more than willing to share information.

From your list, if you are stuck on those choices, then I would say the CZ 75 is the best choice of the lot.

The Browning Hi Power is still King of The Nines, but it does need a magazine disconnect to make it a great carry piece.

The 1911 is still the best overall pistol in my personal opinion - But the CZ is a very good choice...

JD

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
to the forum and remember you are asking for opinions. With that said I hope you have thick skin and a sense of humor!

NO

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Welcome Aboard, Stainless! Do yourself a favor and find a range (or ranges) where you can rent handguns, and give as many as you can a fair shake in the Boom Room. Then buy the Springfield. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses folks -looking forward to browsing the forum more.

canebreak, I'm a quality control tech at a precision machine shop - so, yea,
I have both a sense of humor and a thick skin - very thick. Part
of my job is telling guys their parts are scrap. Do your worst.

I like the 1911's - just not sure if I want to carry that much heat for my first
carry gun. My CCW class trainer carried a Kimber .45 ACP in the cool months
and a S & W 640 in the summer, so he could conceal easier. I'll just have to
go to the range(s), shoot, and make a judgement.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Thanks for the responses folks -looking forward to browsing the forum more.

canebreak, I'm a quality control tech at a precision machine shop - so, yea,
I have both a sense of humor and a thick skin - very thick. Part
of my job is telling guys their parts are scrap. Do your worst.

I like the 1911's - just not sure if I want to carry that much heat for my first
carry gun. My CCW class trainer carried a Kemper .45 ACP in the cool months
and a S & W 640 in the summer, so he could conceal easier. I'll just have to
go to the range(s), shoot, and make a judgement.
Do what I did, get a mouse gun;

Go big or stay home, Colt Defender 3" 8+1 of 45 ACP +P, if I don't hit 'em I scare 'em to death!

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here, There's nothing wrong with a nine in the right pistol with the right ammo. The CZ 75B would be my first choice on your list.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Cz-75=p-01

I'm new here and also new to handguns. I'm going on Monday to apply for my CCW permit. Once in hand, I plan to purchase a weapon for CC.

My only experience with pistols are with a High Standard .22 my father owned. I enjoy shooting and plan to do more of it, especially since I plan to carry.

I look forward to the information here, and have already read many interesting posts. I haven't made a decision yet as to what handgun to purchase (I do have a list of a dozen or so), so that is the kind of information I have been (and will be) seaching for, both here and on the web in general.

Here are some on the list, in no particular order:

Springfield XD
Glock G19, G26
CZ 75 B
Taurus Millineum, 24/7
Ruger SR9, P89
S & W M&P
S & W 640, 642
Charter Arms DAO

I have omitted makes like Kimber and Sig, because frankly I just can't afford them. Not having fired anything other than a .22 in a handgun, I am thinking of a 9mm, for these and other reasons:
  • Availability / cost of ammo
  • Concealability factor
  • World-wide use by many LE Departments/Agencies
  • Recoil control

I plan to go to a local range and rent different weapons to get first-hand knowledge about the differences before purchasing anything.

Opinions / practical experience about any of the above is welcome -

Jeff
Stain, welcome to the forum. If info is wanted, you came to the right place. I have a few carry guns, my favorite of late, in the winter, is my CZ-75 P-01. It fits right,feels right, and with the new defense loads, hits right, with some knock down power. I do have a series 80 Govt. Model MK 4,but prefer the 01 for most carry. Welcome,and good luck on your choice!!:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts