hi -cap mags...here today ? who knows tomarrow

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by powg, Jan 10, 2011.

1. powg

powg New Member

i wake of what happened in ariz ....and the probability of restriction .... ordered me a 30 rnder for my eaa 9mm .....great thing about the eaa,cz-75-tz 75 clones and the baby eagle fits ..

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I find the 30 round magazines neat and almost ordered one last night for my CZ75b, but i decided i would rather have two of the 17 round mecgar mags. A shooting buddy has one of the 33 rounders for his lil Ruger p95, but it rarely gets used other than his opening shots at plinkin time. It could probably be useful in a short-term SHTF situation, but the lil Ruger is pretty unwieldy with that thing hanging 6" out the bottom.

They are cool though. Now if there was a 25 rounder for my XD45, that might be more cool than i could resist. :)

edit* The big mags would be awesome with one of those keltec sub2000 carbines, though, almost a must have.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

3. WDB

WDB New Member

Just not seeing the issue, and have never found the need for a 30 round mag for my pistols. Seems simple, empty mag press the release and insert a new one. Still like the idea that if I wanted one I could get one. All the same with hype firearm prices went through the roof for a time, I expect mag Hi cap mag prices will do the same with threads like this.

Oh Yea IMHO

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've got three of the Glock 9mm 33rds specifically for my S2K. They're nice to have for that purpose.

But I don't have a single one for any of my pistols. Expensive, impractical, and even a little uncomfortable to shoot with...that and in some cases (especially w/ aftermarkets) I've heard some don't always function too well. I like a flush fit mag. Even prefer the 17rd mags in the S2K, as a matter of fact.

5. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Glock Pistol Sales Surge in Aftermath of Arizona Shootings

If you want a Glock 19! :eek: Flying off the shelves. I have a few 15 round mags, will grab a few more.

This is from bloomberg.com

Glock Pistol Sales Surge in Aftermath of Arizona Shootings - Bloomberg

One-day sales of handguns in Arizona jumped 60 percent to 263 on Jan. 10 compared with 164 the corresponding Monday a year ago, the second-biggest increase of any state in the country, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation data.

Handgun sales rose from FBI data:
    65% to 395 in Ohio
    16% to 672 in California
    38% to 348 in Illinois
    33% to 206 in New York
    5% Nationally

Total 7,906 guns.

6. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

The retard with the Glock wasn't tackled until his first clip was empty and he was trying to load a second 30 rounder, he rattled off 31 rounds. Chances are If he wasn't able to get the 30 round mag he would have been subdued after 10 or 11 rounds in restricted capacity state, or whatever the standard capacity Glock 23 holds in another state. I'm guessing that's where the people pushing for a new capacity ban will start their argument.

Not that I agree with it, but I figure that's where a new capacity ban will start. It's just as l likely he would have purchased second pistol if the 30 round mags were not available and still would have had 30+ rounds to use.

Of course the idiot in question wasn't really supposed to be able get a firearm, but who will actually say "yes I do drugs" or "yes I have mental problems" on the background check. If you read some of what's out there you'll see he should not have passed his background check.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

And had the college reported him because of his threatening and bizzare actions, this may not have happened.

Its too damned sad that people accept these wierdo's and their strange behavior in todays society.

In the 1700's, goth kids would have been beaten, stoned, hanged, leeched, electrocuted........

8. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Yeah, it was a similar situation with the S. Korean that shot up Virgina Tech a few years ago. Had his mental health been reported he may not have been able to get his weapons. At least he would've had to go through the improper channels to get them.

I'm sure the media and anti-gun activists will keep saying "legal gun owner" anyway.

9. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

You guys are all wasting your time with those miniscule round counts...

Go get a Calico Liberty pistol...50 or 100 rounds of 9mm in an easy-to-handle package :D
    [​IMG]
    (shown with the 50-round mags...the 100's are slightly longer)

If you absolutely have to use wimpy 9mm as home defense, at least you'll be able to fill a hallway with lead :D

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

man, i remember seeing those used in bad late 80's scifi movies as laser guns.

11. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Yeah, and if a citizen had been there armed, and put two in the f-----s head, it would have spoken volumes for an armed society.

12. willfully armed

>>>qft!<<<

13. WDB

WDB New Member

I'm not certian how to respond and waited a bit. IMHO the size of the mag had little to do with the tragic result of the day. Even more the suggestion the back ground check wasn't enough. Sort of makes me question your intent. It is fairly clear your firearm experience is limited.

14. willfully armed

The background check is more than adequate. Perhaps the university staff and this guys medical professionals should be charged with criminal negligence and accessories to murder for not following protocol and advising authorities of his maniacal behavior and mental illness.

As for reloads, I can do a slidelock reload in a second or slightly less. The average Joe might take as much as 5 seconds. It might have played a slight role in rounds fired before restraint. BUT, it seems that the citizens only acted when they realized he was having trouble reloading. Had he have gotten the second magazine in without trouble, they may not have attempted to subdue and injury count could have doubled or tripled.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  15. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

True, the background check can only retrieve the information that's been loaded into the data base. Had his mental state been on record he should have been denied the purchase. Of course it's possible he could have found a way to get gun and mags he wanted illegally if he had been denied.

I also agree on the reload, could have been a lot worse if he was able to get his other mags in cleanly. The last report I read said he had four mags with him, two 32-round and two 15-round I believe. I was mistaken on the Glock he used, the last report I read said it was a 19 not the Glock 23 I mentioned earlier.

You should have waited a little longer.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

the only change needed is to require state run schools and agencies like the armed forces to report people who are denied because of drug use or mental issues.

it is a common sense change and no bans are required or needed they dont do anything but restrict law abiding peeps from the tools they need to defend life liberty and property.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I found WDB's response polite and forthcoming. I see no reason he should have waited any longer to formulate it.

Just because you disagree with someone is no reason to be rude, not on a topic so serious, particularly to the average person on this forum. We don't all have to agree on everything.

18. WDB

WDB New Member

I believe my input was timely and still stand behind the thought. You don't have to agree with it or like it. I do my best to be polite to everyone on the forum. With that said, the day I wait to express my thoughts for you to express more of yours will never happen. Don't take a polite respose as a sign of weakness.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

peeps in the media are more interested in banning anything to do with firearms than getting to the real issue. if the media and dems could get away with banning guns and even pictures of guns they would. they are going to continue to ignore the incompetence of the pima county sherrif and his department. they ignore the fact that it was a lone crazy guy. they continue to blame everyone except dupnik's incompetence for letting the shooter go for so long and the shooter himself.

would it make the media feel better if laughner had yelled aliakbar and detonated a fertilizer bomb??

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I really resent your use of the term retard. It is an unbecoming term and you shouldn't be using it at all in my eyes.

Second it is not a dam clip is and a magazine.

Third what if he has 17 round MAGS. They could have been easier to load in the pistol so that would have cause him to reload faster thus causing more carnage.

Again how do you know he would have been subdued after only 10 rounds. Loading a 17 round mag is easier than loading that long bulky 33round mag. So if he was able to load faster he could have caused more carnage.

It wasn't a glock 23 either I do believe is was a glock 19 in 9mm. Last time I looked you can get a 33rnd mag for the 40 cal 23.

This is about the only thing you typed that made an sense to me. Of course they will start out with that.

36 to be exact. 17 in the mag 1 in the chamber 18X2= 36...

He had minor offences from what I have read. Your mental state doesn't come into affect unless you were involuntary committed to a mental health facility.

He had broken no laws that YET.

Should he have had a gun HELL NO. There are millions of people in this country alone that are not smart enough to own a dam tooth brush let alone a firearm.

Lastly I will give you a small piece of advice. Attacking a well respected SUPPORTING MEMBER is not a way to stay around for very long. So you might want to watch that.