Hi, can a 18 year olds reload their own 9mm ammo

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by dboy007, Jul 6, 2013.

1. dboy007

dboy007 New Member

Hi I am 18 and I was gifted a handgun. I know 18 year olds can not buy ammo and my parents are complaining how much money the ammo is costing them. I wanted to know, would I be able to buy the 9mm brass casing,the 9mm primer and gunpowder so I can start making my own bullets. I already have the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm 16 now and Rolling them out, I just give my parents money for powder, primers and I cast 75% of my bullets

3. The1Monster

The1Monster New Member

So the real question is, can an 18 year old BUY reloading components? Go to the store and find out. Never heard of any regulations regarding putting the components together into functional ammo, except that you may not be able to sell it commercially.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There may be a lot of questions unless you are a regular at the shop.

State laws may have something. What may be legal here, may not be legal there.

Asking free legal advice on a forum is not the best source for such information

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

BTW, IF the gun is a Glock, no lead bullets. Different style rifling.

6. dboy007

dboy007 New Member

Is there a way I can cast steel bullets

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I think for all practical purposes, it's either cast your own lead, or buy them.....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With the exception of some military ammo, and very special hunting rounds, bullets are lead, copper plated lead, or lead inside of a jacket of gilding metal, which is a copper/nickel alloy. Assuming you made the means of reaching the melting point of steel (2,700 F), a steel bullet would not swedge into the rifling, and would tear your barrel apart. Lead, (melts at 621 F) can be readily melted and cast. However, a Glock uses polygonal rifling, and if you READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL, you are instructed not to use raw lead bullets- will lead up the bore, cause high pressure, damage gun (and you).

Steel bullets are also far less dense than lead, and would drop speed and energy quickly.

9. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I started loading at 16, and the only thing you need to be 18 for is gun powder. Everything else has no age requirement, wether its for a rifle or handgun.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Blast furnace could assist. :)

11. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Just to be clear, I am not advocating doing anything illegal here but....

When I was between 14-18 I would buy .22lr ammo online and have it shipped to my house. Back then you were asked to input your birthday but there was no way for the selling company to know. Then when it arrived to your house via UPS, they were suppose to have someone of proper age sign for it, but they never did.

Of course I understand that this will probably not work out for you because things have probably changed in the last ten years and it only worked in the first place if you have a credit card, something most that age do not. All I am saying is you can find almost anything online including powder, it just depends on how much you are willing to pay.

12. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I would think being 18 years old you should be able to purchase reloading supplies such as primers,powder,and bullets?

But with some of the new laws popping up everyday it could be a crap shoot?

In our state you must be 21 years old to buy ammo for a handgun,but as long as the handgun ammo is used in a rifle a 18 year old can purchase 22 lr or handgun ammo intended for rifle use only in our state.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You can reload at any age, but to purchase primers and powder I think you need to be 18.

As to casting steel bullets, I don't believe it has ever been done. There is no reason to as they won't function properly in any gun made unless it is jacketed in a softer material (this is common) which allows it to function properly and not damage the gun.

Casting lead is easy and cheap (but somewhat dangerous).

By the way, you mentioned that you inherited a gun, can you tell us what it is? Maybe pics of it? We are all enthusiasts here and would love to see what you have!

14. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....