Hey, Where's the Beretta subforum?

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by 70cuda383, Jan 5, 2013.

1. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

I see 1911, Glock, Sig, S&W.... no mention of Beretta? is that because I'm the only guy who would ever post there?:confused::D

Anyway, I picked up another one today.

I remember as a kid (well, some of you may still call me one) and I was watching Lethal weapon, and the character "Riggs" played by Mel Gibson used a Beretta 92, and then looking through various military arms books, and reading about the M9, I fell in love.

when I first turned 21, all I could buy was a "92FS" so that was my first gun purchase about a week after my 21st birthday.

But of course, it was not an M9, it was a 92FS. Having sat around and demised ways to accidentally on purpose lose my issued M9 in Afghanistan, and then figure out a way to get it back home without anyone else knowing I still had it...I decided that the risk of court martial, loss of military career, simply wasn't worth it for the exact same gun I already had at home save for the markings on the slide. I mean...if I was going to risk all that, why not go for an M4 or the M240? So sadly, I returned the brand new M9 back into supply when I got home (When they issued it to me prior to deployment, it didn't have ANY wear marks on it!)

But now, I see that Beretta is selling "M9s" that are just a standard M9, not some black chrome, Desert storm commemorative show piece with gold engraving all over it...nope, just your standard issue run of the mill M9.

so now, 10 years later, about 2 months before my 31st birthday, I finally got the M9:cool:

I love the plain brown, nondescript box. The only thing fancy is the paper slip over cover on the box, and a tiny tag on the trigger guard that says "carried by the US Military"

[​IMG]

Open the box, and all you see is some paperwork, an owners manual that says "92FS" and under that, there's a gun in a bag, and a magazine in a bag.

[​IMG]

and the weapon itself:

[​IMG]

(not showing the other side, that's where the serial number is, and something just doesn't feel right about posting the serial number for the world to see)

That's funny...Gun made in the US, Mags made in Italy. also, these are the first Beretta mags I've seen with a little notch out of the lower back corner, anyone know what weapon that's for? (sorry no pic of that side of the mags)

[​IMG]

And, my first gun, next to my newest gun

[​IMG]

2. Left_Eye

Left_Eye New Member

Gorgeous weapon. I look forward to hearing how it performs. I recently purchased a 96A1, love it. The Beretta bug has bitten me as well. Congratulations again on your new addition.

3. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

my 3 Berettas.

92FS (aftermarket grips that I added, I also added the Elite II mag release button, which is taller than stock)
    M9 -- I'll probably leave this one stock. which is odd...none of my guns are box stock!
    96G Brigadier Elite II (my CCW weapon, I added night sights and modified the factory 11 round mag to hold 12, add 1 in the pipe for 13 rounds of .40S&W)

[​IMG]

Here's the mags that came with the M9 I picked up today. notice the little notch out of the bottom corner. first Beretta mags I've seen that had that.

[​IMG]

4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the notch for keeping spring tension when taking the bottom plate off? Just a guess...

5. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

I dunno. they have a hole in the baseplate. there's a flat steel shim with a notch attached to the spring, you push in the hole to push the notch out of the way and slide the baseplate off. my first thought was a mag release catch on a weapon that had the mag catch at the bottom of the mag well. but I don't know any beretta's like that

6. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

7. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

nope. thats to enable it to work with the european versions of the beretta that utilize a heel mag release. so unless you have a heel mag button on the bottom of the grip you dont have a true "italian" beretta. heh

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

So you release it with the weak hand? Never heard of that.

9. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

thats correct. most euro guns are either heel clip release or heal button release. they do it for mag retension reasons.

10. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

they still make them that way? I thought the VERY early beretta handguns had that "feature" but when they went to the 92 and 92FS series, they did away with that.

Guess not! so the thumb button mag release is just an American thing?

Oh, and my Beretta is hardly "Italian" it says "made in US" right on the side of the firearm!:cool: (I know I know, parent company is Italian, it's an Italian design, and I'm sure some of the money I just paid will go back to Italy)