Hey, It's My New P64!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Capybara, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Found one of these in Prescott at a pawn shop a few weeks ago and ended up not buying it. It was $50.00 more than I paid for this P64 but it was in much better shape, although this one isn't bad. I am looking forward to experiencing the horrible DA trigger pull and the supposedly nasty recoil ;-) This is a pretty cool little gun, the bore looks like new and the workmanship seems to be excellent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Nice looking pistol. Enjoy.

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Nice. 32 ACP?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

9mm Mak is a bit of a challenge in this pistol, I have two, you were quite correct about the pain issues when firing but maybe I am more sensitive due to age. The workmanship is excellent and although the DA is horrendous the SA is smooth as butter. It will make a good carry pistol and the recoil would not be noticed in a stress situation. I put Maraschall checkered walnut grips on one of mine and am quite happy with them. Too bad yours has the import crap so prominent on the slide.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Doc. that`s a 9 mm Makarov, that`s 9x18, not .32 ACP !............

6. Capybara

Capybara New Member

9x18 Makarov. The CZ50 I posted a few threads down is .32 ACP though.

7. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Yes, unfortunate. I found one I liked a lot more at a pawn shop in Arizona but didn't realize it was C&R while I was there, the owner of the pawn shop had it erroneously tagged and listed as a Polish Makarov and only the East German and Russian Makarovs are C&R. So I accidentally passed on it because I didn't realize that it was a P64, which is a C&R gun. Doh! That one was like brand new looking for $279.00.

SOG had these for $219.00, which is a good deal but the big ugly billboard isn't too great. I like to look at guns in person before I buy, but through SOG, not possible. The barrel is pristine though and I am sure it will be a good shooter.

8. Capybara

Capybara New Member

SOG, sold out of them. At least for now. Just ordered the Wolff Spring Kits, everyone said I needed to. Now just need to find a spare hour to tear it down, clean and install new springs.

9. JWagner

JWagner New Member

?..................?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  10. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

Capybara, you will love changing the firing pin spring and dealing with the safety plunger and spring :)

11. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Saw those "how to" pictures on the P64 site, it doesn't look too hard. ;-)

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Does it "Bite" when you shoot it! I shot a friends' TT-33 a few times( he took it off an NVA officer when he was a"Green Cookie"...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. bbertram

bbertram Member

Get ready to chase springs around the room. :) I haven't switched out the hammer spring because the replacement is longer than the original, and takes a lot of work to get it in place. I may see if there is a utube video on it. I have some hand arthritis and my grip strength is definitely below average. [edit] Watched the utube on spring replacement, cranked up the vise, and after 2 or three tries, got it installed. Biggest problem was I didn't have paper clip !!! Had to work around THAT issue. DA trigger is somewhat improved, I used a 19# spring.
    :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  14. superc

superc Member

I got two of them too. They are still (barely) under 250 on Classic Firearms. Recoil is much more mild than a chopped 45 (i.e., Detonics, Colt Officer, etc.), but of course more than a 380 in a PPK. I have only done about 25 rounds in one so far, but already I can attesst they are more dependable than the old Walther PPK I used to have.

15. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I may order one of these soon.

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

They are nice dependable little guns. Also nice price for the quality.

17. youngridge

youngridge Active Member Supporter

Would it chamber 9mm Luger or does it specifically have to be 9x18? sorry if this seems like a dumb question. Definitely intrigued by guns like this though!

18. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

It probably would but I don't think you really should.

19. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

very good answer.

there are several different variations of the 9mm out there, with their own specific chamber.

best advice is to use what is marked as the cartridge it was chambered in.

i have seen people shoot 380 acp out of a 9mm pistol. but i surely don't recommend doing so.

20. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

9X19 is standard 9MM ammo or also called 9 MM luger

9X18 is Makarov

9X17 is 380