Hey Hi-Point owners, you might want to watch this...

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Wambli, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Wambli

Wambli New Member

After reading entirely too much Hi-Point pistol bashing on the web my friend Scott E Mayer, Executive producer of PDTV decided to put one through a torture test. He told the owner of Hi-Point that after the gun was put through the "test" it would either go home in a bag of parts or he would personaly write him a check for it. The owner of the company put one in the mail and said "Have at it".

You can watch the action here:
    Trying to Break A Hi Point | Guns & Ammo

The results did not realy surprise me...

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

That was painful to watch. But kudos to Hi-Point.

3. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

Kudos? I saw many FTE and other jams, but then again, any other pistol would have probably done with same lol.

4. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

I think that Hi-Point hung in there pretty well. That was a really interesting test to watch.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks like it performed well for a $120 pistol.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Lets see a glock go through that or how about your sigma, lol.

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would have liked to see the test done side by side.

Nothing can stop "The Worlds Greatest Sigma"™, better recognize.:p

8. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

These guys tortured it way harder by hammering cases into the bore and a bunch of shooting 10.5gr of bullseye and 147gr bullet(max is ~4gr).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg]YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4&feature=relmfu]YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I see Hi-Point knocking on Glock's back door...and for quarter of the price. ;)

10. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

I just don't know what Hi Point bashers are so afraid of. The gun has probably been through more "real world" torture tests that any other firearm & it still holds up. It truly is the " I get no respect " handgun on the market today. What's even more impressive is that Hi Point had no problem offering up the gun which tells me they have absolutely nothing to hide. I wonder how many of the BIG NAME BRANDS would even offer their product after seeing what they put that Hi point through. I say NONE!

11. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

That last video was indeed impressive! So now who all will be running out to their local gun store to pick one of these up??

12. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

It's not the owners that need to watch it , they already know that they work just fine. It's the snobs, "think they know it alls' & non owner bashers that should watch it (not that it would make any difference to them )

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

While I would never do those tests to my own Hi-Point, I do know that mine has over 2k rounds thorugh it and no major problems. I will say that I have not shot it much since the Springer arrived, but that may change soon what with the zombies around and all.

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

"Yeah, I tell ya!"..."Inexpensive, reliable and no questions asked, life time warranty? You said it!" No respect!"

[​IMG]

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I think given what the pistol has been built as, the pricepoint target audience, it performed very well given the tests.

I still wouldn't trust my life to one, but for what it was designed to do, it did it well given the tests.

Kudos to Hi-Point for embracing the tests.

JD

16. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

So now people can't knock them for their durability but I'm sure they will still knock them for their aesthetics lol.

17. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Glocks and HKs don't really win any beauty contests either.;)

The point of the tests was not to go EXTREME like some folks do just kind of simulate some closer to real life issues a "tackle box" gun would encounter and see how it survives (that's why he put a .22 caliber bullet in the bore and not hammered a dowel in like some folks have done. He figured that would be the type of obstruction a gun would get from riding in a hunting truck glove compartement or such.

I don't think any high $$$ gun would have done any better specially after the mud test (and I'm NOT trying it with any onf mine). Scott said that the combo of wet flour and mud started hardening pretty good under the sun and all that gritty scratching as he manually cycled the action did bring a tear or two to my eye. But like someone said, kudos to Hi-Point for not running away from a test they KNEW was going to be out on a national magazine website for the world to see, wether the outcome was positive or not. They didn't even ask what was being done to the gun. That was decided AFTER they commited to send the gun in. :D

18. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

That's true, aesthetics are subjective (I love how my Glock looks by the way ;)) but durability can be proven, and looks like it has been proven.

19. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I find the term gun snobs very distasteful. If you want to own sub $200 guns, that's great, but not for me. Just because I own higher priced guns doesn't make me a snob, I earn a good living and buy what pleases me. Find me just one Hi-Point owner that wouldn't trade their gun for a "better" model even up - never happen...