Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone. Found this forum and I think it seems to be the best/most active so I can pick your brains about guns.

Some background about me and firearms, well, I don't really have much. No one in my family, that I know of, owns or even uses any firearms. :eek: However, in light of all the stuff that's been going down lately, I think it's stupid not to have something for self/home defense, especially since I have three little ones.

So what I was hoping to find is information about guns in general as I really haven't the foggiest idea about them. I've shot a few guns in the past, like a couple of shotguns and a couple of handguns, but that's about it.

So any and all basic info about guns would be greatly appreciated.

And as a side note, after reading the build your own AR15 I think I may want to give that a go. I'm a certified mechanic and I would really like to learn how these things work. Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
34,282 Posts
WELCOME!!

You've come to the right place to learn. The best I can tell you right now is start browsing through these forums and read all that's there. You will inevitably have a few questions and when you do, throw them out there. You'll be surprised all the information available to you here.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy as there is a lot of knowledge here.

·
Premium Member
12,027 Posts
Welcome to the forum. With guns, adopt the safety first mindset! Get to know the basic gun saftey rules(condensed):
1. Treat as always loaded.
2. Point in a safe direction.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until time to shoot.
4. Know your target, and what's beyond it.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome! I think it is great that you have an interest and want to get some knowledge/information! All questions are answered and just about everyone here will do whatever they can to help you out. As a side note please look into how your can childproof your home in regards to firearms. I have two little ones that have turned into not so little tweeners and I had to balance that with gun accessibility in the home, quick safes, wall mounts or just plain knowledge about firearms safety. The first accident is usually tragic so please be careful but also keep in mind what you want/need a handgun for.

again, welcome!!!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Welcome to the forum now we gotta get you safety trained armed and on the range Look forward to seeing what weapon you choose perhaps a 1911 or maybe a 1911 ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum. With guns, adopt the safety first mindset! Get to know the basic gun saftey rules(condensed):
1. Treat as always loaded.
2. Point in a safe direction.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until time to shoot.
4. Know your target, and what's beyond it.
Thanks primer. That is the kind of basic info I need really. I went skeet shooting one time (hit 18 out of 25 :D) and had absolutely NO INSTRUCTION regarding proper firearm handling. So as you can imagine that when I turned around with the shotgun pointing straight out, EVERYBODY hit the dirt. I was like :eek:. So yeah, got just a little bit of handling instruction there. lol.
Welcome! I think it is great that you have an interest and want to get some knowledge/information! All questions are answered and just about everyone here will do whatever they can to help you out. As a side note please look into how your can childproof your home in regards to firearms. I have two little ones that have turned into not so little tweeners and I had to balance that with gun accessibility in the home, quick safes, wall mounts or just plain knowledge about firearms safety. The first accident is usually tragic so please be careful but also keep in mind what you want/need a handgun for.

again, welcome!!!!!
Thanks Sarge. Child proofing is a definite must, but I also believe that educating my children that guns are not toys is a definite must. I believe that most accidents happen because of a lack of training of the children.
Right now my oldest is 5 so I think that he may still be a wee bit too young and irresponsible for firearms.
However, for a firearm safe, I was thinking the fingerprint ID one would be the best. Don't have to fumble for keys or mess with a combination, just put your thumb or finger on and you're good to go.
Welcome to the forum now we gotta get you safety trained armed and on the range Look forward to seeing what weapon you choose perhaps a 1911 or maybe a 1911 ;)
I do like 1911's. I've watched a few History channel and Military channel things about the Korean war and when the soldiers switched to the 9mm. They complained that it didn't have enough stopping power and the enemy kept coming. So most of the soldiers switched back to the M1911.
I definitely want to get a .45, although, I do also plan to get a CPL, so it's needs to be comfortable and easy to pull out if needs be.
Welcome to the forum from another SE mi member. What part of the suburbs are you in?
I'm about 45 min. East of you. ;) Lots of treehuggers here.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
BlackOmega said:
Thanks Sarge. Child proofing is a definite must, but I also believe that educating my children that guns are not toys is a definite must. I believe that most accidents happen because of a lack of training of the children.
Right now my oldest is 5 so I think that he may still be a wee bit too young and irresponsible for firearms.
However, for a firearm safe, I was thinking the fingerprint ID one would be the best. Don't have to fumble for keys or mess with a combination, just put your thumb or finger on and you're good to go.

I do like 1911's. I've watched a few History channel and Military channel things about the Korean war and when the soldiers switched to the 9mm. They complained that it didn't have enough stopping power and the enemy kept coming. So most of the soldiers switched back to the M1911.
I definitely want to get a .45, although, I do also plan to get a CPL, so it's needs to be comfortable and easy to pull out if needs be.

I carry my 1911 commander concealed very comfortably all day not sure of your size but I'm 6'1 190 and never have any issues just make sure and get a nice comfortable holster carry it on my right hip about 5 inches behind my front pocket just food for thought

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I carry my 1911 commander concealed very comfortably all day not sure of your size but I'm 6'1 190 and never have any issues just make sure and get a nice comfortable holster carry it on my right hip about 5 inches behind my front pocket just food for thought
I'm 6'1" ~195 give or take depending on the day. Which holster do you use for it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts