Firearms Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I am new here and I have a problem I hope someone can help me solve.i became the recipient of my grandfathers 22 pistol. It’s a 22single action Herter R12 from west Germany. Upon examination I see that the Bakelite type grips have a small hole in the bottom of the grip on the left side, it looks like my grandfather may have dropped it years ago. I have did online searches for replacements but no luck. My question is are there a comparable swap options with other makes that will fit or at least need very little altering to fit. Was thinking that new heritage or perhaps the ruger 22 s would be a viable option to trade out.I would even consider rubber style grips if they could fit. I remember shooting this gun with my grandfather in the early 70,s. So lots of memories. It’s still in excellent shape and I want to use this gun to teach my 11 year old granddaughter how to shoot. Thank you in advance for any help I can receive on this question.

·
Administrator
26,010 Posts
One POSSIBLE replacement is here: Grips, Walnut, Cut-Checkered w/ Buffalo Logo, Replacement | Gun Parts Corp.

Those are walnut, not plastic of the originals- and I don't know if it is an exact fit for the R12. One other possibility, depending on the overall condition of the grips, size of hole, etc- use an epoxy like J B Weld- remove grips, fill hole, let cure at least 48 yrs, shape with an emery board, touchup paint where needed.

And I see that was your first post- Welcome! Glad you found us!

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
I think that is supposed to be there.:confused: There is a replacement pair on Ebay that show a cut out in the bottom of the left grip.

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Like c3 said ..... if it is just a small hole you can repair it . Tape & bedding glass tinted to the color of the grips will do well too .
For stronger grips go wood . Buy a blank & drill shape to that grip . All depends on what your skills are .
Good luck & welcome

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I sorta remember Arminus made a few of Herter's pistols as well. Have some old Herter's catalogs around here somewhere. Glowing descriptions of everything "Herter's" was part of the fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that is supposed to be there.:confused: There is a replacement pair on Ebay that show a cut out in the bottom of the left grip.
No it is definitely not supposed to be there, it is jagged and looked like he dropped it on a rock and broke a piece out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the welcome and the replies to my query. I am going to contact the places recommended to me and see if I can’t get what I need.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Well check out Ebay. Just put in Herter R12 parts or grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts