Firearms Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My dad purchased one as an inexpensive plinker and pest gun to carry in his canoe. It fills the bill pretty well.

It shoots fine and is accurate enough. I haven't noticed any glaring issues in those two departments. It does have a kinda "cheesy" hammer block saftey lever on the left side rearward of the cylinder. In and of itself lame, but the lever is also plastic, thus "cheesy".

But for a low priced utility gun/ shooter, function beats fashion.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
For the low price, the little revolver shoots pretty good. I'd say it's a solid, average .22LR revolver. Nothing special, but it works just fine.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend getting a Ruger Super Single Six over the cheaply made Heritage Rough Rider. I've had to work on several of them and they have NOT impressed me favorably. The Ruger isn't that much more anyway and will be a handgun you'll pass down through the family.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend getting a Ruger Super Single Six over the cheaply made Heritage Rough Rider. I've had to work on several of them and they have NOT impressed me favorably. The Ruger isn't that much more anyway and will be a handgun you'll pass down through the family.
I agree, spend the extra and get the Ruger. Asked my lgs guy about the heritage some years ago and he said don't buy more than one box of ammo - it'll last longer than the gun. No personal experience with the Heritage but can tell you first hand that the Ruger Single Six is an excellent revolver.

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was there a common problem for the work you had to do? I researched a bit, but found nothing on the actual mechanics of the gun. Was there a shortcoming in the design or materials you found?

Upon your reccomendation, looking into Ruger prices.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
The 2 most common problems of Heritage Rough Riders that's been brought to me to fix (out of about 2 dozen), are timing and cylinder latch issues. The cylinder latch/stop is made of cheap stamped steel instead of solid steel as the Ruger is made. The safety on the frame has broken on several as well.

They MAY have changed them by now but I still wouldn't seriously consider them when the much more solid Ruger is still being made.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine has been both reliable and accurate. It is an inexpensive fun little gun.
I bet that lgs had a more expensive gun they wanted to sell you instead of the Heritage.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I bought one several years ago, because it was cheap. You get what you pay for. After two trips back to the factory, they still couldn't get it right. Pure crap!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one ,have ran a couple thousand rounds thru it n worked great for the first year , but now have problems with the hammer not cocking the cylinder unless you point it towards the ground ,have sent it back once n they fixed it, but still have problems even after I got it back

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I have had one for a long time. Probably close to twenty years. At least 15 for sure. I have several thousand rounds through it. It is very accurate. The only problem I have ever had was that a screw came loose while I was shooting and fell out. I went to the hardware store for a replacement. To be fair...I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk do the same thing once. But I didn't lose the screw. I check the screws in all of my guns a little more often now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My screws came lose as well , but for the most part I have had mine for almost 3 years now n it's a little off to the left on acuraccu,but I've shot it enough to know where to aim to hit my target

·
Retired
13,651 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
This thread is a few years old (like from 2011).
Might I suggest two things?
1. Stop by our "Introductions" area and say "Hi"
2. Open a new thread.

Reactions: Txhillbilly

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
90482E08-B5DE-43CC-BA4E-4EE72879D522.jpeg
This is the one I bought. Fun piece, fairly accurate. One problem is, the ejector is too short to push out the brass, gotta pick ‘em out with a knife.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I bought the model with 9 1/2" barrel. I shoot only 22 magnum with it. No problems. I am going to remove that safety. I also have a 22 L R revolver made in Germany. I like it better than the Ruger because of the tilt out cylinder. I also purchased a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. I happened to find the revolver that was sent to the magazine for an article. I think Charter Arms might have put a little extra care in that one. I get that from comparing it to others I have seen at the range.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I've got a couple. One is the picture at the left, the other I just got "free" with Academy Sports buy one get one deal when I bought a Taurus G2.
The new one has the 6 inch barrel with a conventional grip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts