Heritage Rough Rider 22cal.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bassdawgbill, Jan 27, 2011.

1. bassdawgbill

bassdawgbill New Member

Hi to all i just want to tell what happened to me when i shot my Rough Rider . First three shots hit the target the fourth shot cracked the barrell ,so i called Heritage several times an they told me i would have to pay for a new barrell ,I am lucky i didnt get hurt but they dont care . I had to buy a new barrell. All reviews i read were great thats why i bought the gun .If you email me i can send you pics bassdawgbill@comcast.net

I dont know how to insert a pic on this site

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I would love to see your pics & I can't believe that Heritage-- Soon to be my bottom of the barrel ,crummiest go to guy for guns would not cover the cost for replacing your barrel. What caliber is the gun, I know they make a 22/22mag & a 45 LC

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I tried to zoom your photos. Got to Imageshack. Imageshack started something weird on my computer. Most use Photobucket to upload images.

Is it split near the muzzle?

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

When i click the photo it pops up bigger with no issues. Anyone else having problems? Ill host it again if people cant view it well.

5. bassdawgbill

bassdawgbill New Member

I get it with no problem , Thanks again for posting it for me .

6. nate

nate New Member

Thats the same thing it did to me.

7. billdeserthills

Having received & printed out your photos, I can only think of one reason why a gun barrel would split like this & that is a Squib Load. Since 22 rimfire is not a caliber you can feasibly load yourself, do you know what ammo you were shooting when this happened? I would guess the ammo manufacturer is actually responsible for the damage that has occurred.

8. bassdawgbill

bassdawgbill New Member

I shoot Remington all the time , thats what my Dad started me on so it's a habit . Thanks for your input .

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

He said the first three shots hit the target.

The failure happened on the fourth shot. It couldn’t have been a squib.

Are the roughrider barrels forged or machined? This looks like the effect of impurity elements in the metal during the forging process. See how straight the crack is? And note how it runs through the fromt sight machined pocket? (Read: weak(ened) area)

Technically: To eliminate the anisotropic plasticity of columnar grains and the danger of cracking during forging, the process must be conducted within narrow temperature and deformation limits. These conditions, however, are not always applicable to the central equiaxed zone. Such an anisotropy leads to microcracks during upsetting of ingots and bars with traces of columnar structure.

[​IMG]

My bet is a finite failure analysis would find a high concentration of sulfur, phosphorus, copper or tin in the make-up of the failed area (crack). Too bad a failure mode analysis would cost more than the barrel replacement, but from this engineer’s old eyes, you got a lemon.

That or it just done blowed up.

Attached Files:

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I just noticed you are from PA.

Did you shoot outside? How cold was it?

You didn't drop the gun in the snow after the three shots, did ya?

Just askin'.

11. bassdawgbill

bassdawgbill New Member

I shot soon as i got outside an i did not drop the gun . thanks for all the input .
    Bill

12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

My Antivirus did NOT like that first pic website - it blocked a threat.......

Later pic is very interesting - this is clearly a material failure, that Heritage SHOULD be paying for themselves! A plugged barrel would show bulging and different sort of splitting.

13. billdeserthills

I went to www.heritagemfg.com

and hit the contact us button, and I briefly explained the problem to them, that you had with your gun. I would like to see them take care of your expense for replacing the barrel & if they won't I will be only too happy to never sell another one of their guns again. I sell quite a few of the cheaper lines of guns and I feel the same way about all of them, which is that they are all to have a full lifetime warranty, unless of course it can be proved that improperly reloaded ammo has been fired thru them. Obviously it would be a stretch on their part to say that a rimfire round had been improperly reloaded

14. bassdawgbill

bassdawgbill New Member

Hey thanks i appreciate it a lot . I will definitely let you know what happens .They told me they did not care where i post the pics . I told them what i was going to do an they told me go ahead .It 's not the money its the principle.
    Bill

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Rutro! My younger nephew is considering one of their lil .22LR's. I had better refer him to this thread.

16. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

If they won't stand behind this as a warranty they probably won't stand behind a replacement barrel if it were defective, too.
    You've convinced me to stay away from this manufacturer if they don't make it right.:(

17. billdeserthills

Heritage e-mailed me back, they say they will look into the problem if you want to provide your name & the serial # of the gun. You are welcome to e-mail me the info, I would be happy to relay it to them.

18. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Wow, and to think I was actually going to buy one of those:eek:
    Guess i'll save up more and get a Single Six.