Here's a question for you all......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Feb 11, 2011.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I almost feel stupid asking this but I need to know. I pistol is a semi-auto, right? And a revolver is never a pistol but it is a revolver only. And a handgun is used to signify either a pistol or a revolver. I read a post here where someone was talking about a revolver and someone responded "nice pistol". I sometimes have trouble with the semantics.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

There are varying thoughts on this.

It is commonly understood that "pistol" refers to a semi auto. However, the word "pistol" has been around since before semi autos were available, and was used to describe any handgun (revolver, derringer, etc). A Thompson Contender (TC) single shot is also a "pistol".

"Handgun" is used to describe revolvers and semi autos.

3. winds-of-change

Okay, while I'm at it, the difference between skeet and trap. Is one from side to side and one overhead? I think that's what I read.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Skeet has 8 stations that present an individual with different situations from "overhead" to "from the side".

Trap has 5 stations where an individual would be shooting more forward.

On the issue of a hand held firearm:

On the BATF form 4473, block 18: "Handgun", "Long Gun", "Other firearms (Frame, Receiver, etc...)

Block 29 (description) Type: (Pistol, Revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame, etc...)

I try to stay with the same definitions on a hand held firearm. A "revolver" has a rotating cylinder, a "pistol" does not (but is still hand held), and "handgun" is generic.

5. winds-of-change

This is what I thought. Thank you.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh skeet skeet skeet
    [​IMG]

To the window, to da wall, To the sweat drop down my *****, to all these ****** crawls..To all skeet skeet.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  7. winds-of-change

Ummm.........are you okay today, Shihan?

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

rofl!!!!!!! :d

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Well I learned something today.

Since I shoot neither skeet nor trap, I didn't know the difference either.

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

WOC, do you know the "military" definition between a weapon and a gun?? ;) :D

[​IMG]

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Jack, does go something like "This is my rifle, this is my gun...."?

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

From Brittania

Pistol
    Small firearm designed to be operated with one hand. The name may derive from the city of Pistoia, Italy, where handguns were made as early as the 15th century. It was originally a cavalry weapon. However, because the firepower of pistols must be kept low in order to reduce them to manageable weight, and because only skilled soldiers can shoot them accurately beyond 10 yards, they have never been satisfactory military weapons. In legal use, pistols are most frequently carried by police and other security personnel and serve mainly as a defensive weapon of last resort. Their compact size, low cost, and ease of operation make them a common weapon in violent crime, so that pistols are a common object of laws regulating the ownership of firearms. The two classes of pistol are revolvers and automatics. Automatics have a mechanism, actuated by the energy of recoil, that feeds cartridges from a magazine in the grip.

Read more: pistol: Definition from Answers.com

I grew up with the westerns and to quote Mr. Eastwood; "Are you gonna pull that pistol or just whistle Dixie:

So I don't use the term pistol if I am being specific about a semi auto.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I had someone once tell me that a shotgun is not a long gun. I asked why not if the barrel of a shotty can't be under 18" but a rifle can have a 16" barrel. I got the "stupid" look after that.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun 36" barrel. 56"+ OAL. That is a LONG gun.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

"True guns are characterised by long range, having a maximum elevation significantly less than 45°, a high muzzle velocity and hence a relatively long barrel, smooth bore (no rifling) and a single charge. The latter often led to fixed ammunition where the projectile is locked to the cartridge case. There is no generally accepted minimum muzzle velocity or barrel length associated with a gun." Shamelessly stolen.

A gun is a direct fire weapon larger than 50 caliber.

16. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh skeet skeet skeet
    [​IMG]

17. winds-of-change

No, but since it's YOU asking, I'm not sure I want to hear the answer. :eek:

18. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I have a feeling this is going to be good.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Military def- (actual) is to distinguish it from a howitzer or mortar- as in the 25mm Chain Gun on the Bradley. There are also Machineguns and shotguns in use by the military. But a rifle generically is a weapon, rifle, or piece. And there are military pistols and revolvers.

Not to dispute Britannia, but how about Derringers and single shot handguns (think Dueling Pistol). They are not autos, but are pistols.

I do believe Mr. Colt applied for a patent on his "Revolving Gun". IMPROVEMENT IN REVOLVING FIRE-ARM S - Google Patent Search

20. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Then what is a .410 shotgun? :confused: