Here's a new way to tax

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Nod, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

The city of Naperville, IL. has imposed a 3% tax on pot sales ! The only problem is, recreational weed is not for sale in Naperville. But city leaders say " It's not currently legal here, but the city now has a sales tax in place if it ever is."
    This town has gone from 99% conservative to 60+% liberal in the last 15 years and this is what we get.

boatme98 and towboater like this.
  2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Kinda hard to tax something capable of being grown in a closet regardless of whether there are legal recreational sales venues or not. Whiskey Rebellion was a result of Federal government trying to tax corn likker - the way farmers turned hog feed into money to feed youngin's.

OLD Ron, JTJ, boatme98 and 1 other person like this.

3. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

they're thinking ahead, which is just smart. if you happen to live in that city and don't "toking up", then you don't have to buy it and pay the tax

4. W.T. Sherman

while that is true, there are tons of people that are inept of growing anything, let alone to process the leaves, so it's easier for them to just buy it. then there is the "I want it now to smoke" not weeks from now to smoke

5. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

I really don't wanna believe there are people out there who are so inept, they can't grow a weed.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  6. W.T. Sherman

really? there are tons of people who can't even change a flat tire, they have to call for someone else to do it for them.

you give people too much credit for doing/fixing simple things.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

If Naperville is in California, you're probably correct. But they'd have a limit on how many watts a grow light could consume and of course would be powered by a solar panel, watered with rainwater, and fertilized with recycled pigeon poo. Next they'll be taxing clean air or selling it in cannisters. I like most people in California, but some are way too far left for me.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Colorado over taxed the pot and the black market was cheaper. Aint competition great.

oO_Rogue_Oo and Rifling82 like this.
  9. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Back in the 70s I grew some in a closet that got to 6 feet tall and about 4 foot wide. Lights, timers, the whole shooting match, it was beautiful. It actually budded out somewhat but it gave you a really bad headache when you smoked it. In spaghetti it was pretty good. I had pictures of it decked as a Christmas tree. I'm surprised I can still remember it.:rolleyes:

10. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

Back when I was a teenager we didn't even have to try to grow them. They would just randomly pop up all around where we used to smoke and throw away the seeds. Gotta love the high quality red buds we used to have that were loaded with seeds. :rolleyes:

11. W.T. Sherman

OH $HIT, what you wrote reminded me of a hillbilly song I heard more then 4 decades ago or so, I racked my brain trying to figure what the title of the song so I search GOOGLE for "hillbilly song about marijuana" then I then found the song on YOUTUBE, enjoy :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Nod likes this.
  12. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Good one. Jim Stafford put out a bunch of silly songs like that.

towboater likes this.
  13. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

That brought back a memory of a High Times article I read back then about a pot farmer who hung red Christmas balls from his pot plants in the fields so they looked like tomato plants from the air.

towboater likes this.
  14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I remember the WW2 era hemp grew wild in the Middle West.
    Any place the ground was disturbed by wintering livestock.
    Hemp would grow thickly in those places.
    In summer would take field mowers into those thick patches and knock down the tall weeds so come next winter the ground would not be all weeds.
    A mixture of hemp and other broad leaf weeds.
    One particular year the weeds were tall enough, I had to stand on the Farmall H's operators platform in order to see over the weeds.

Some those patches were great dove hunting spots.

The food and industrial uses of Industrial Hemp out weigh the use of recreational pot.
    I could get behind industrial hemp.
    As for pot? Not so much.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    towboater, Oldoutlaw and locutus like this.
  15. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

So they can bust gangsters for tax evasion.

16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A weed is, by definition, an unwanted plant. Corn in your rose garden is a weed, and vice versa.

And, I can kill anything. I could probably figure out how to kill silk flowers if I was given a chance. I can over water, and under water. I even once sunburned and killed a terrarium full of cactus.

I had a simulated aquarium screen saver. I managed to misprogram the automated simulated fish feeder, and the simulated “fish” all died.

I had a house swarming party once, and one of my buddies wives, noticed that the ficus my mom had given me was looking kind of droopy, and told me it needed water. Should have seen the look on her face, when I informed her I wasn’t watering it, to punish it for dropping it’s leaves on the floor. As soon as it learned its lesson, I’d water it again.

But yes, I might be ab;e to grow pot. I did accidentally in High School. We were supposed to grow a bean, in one of the little milk cartons they had in the cafeteria. Everybody else made up some fancy soil blend, and brought in their milk carton with the soil in it.

I forgot all about the damned thing. So, just before class i snuck out to the dumpster by the cafeteria, and scrounged a milk carton, There was a pedestrian gate nearby, that had walkway with a little dirt between the concrete and the fence. The walkway was where all the stoners and smokers hung out. I scooped up some dirt to fill the milk carton and headed to class.

The teacher gave each of us one bean to plant. So, I stick it down in the soil about an inch, and give it some water. Next week there’s a little green plant. So, I start giving it a bit of water with some Miracle Grow in it. Middle of the third week it’s got a distinctive leaf pattern, that isn’t a bean. Almost got me kicked out of school.

Rex in OTZ, Oldoutlaw and boatme98 like this.
  17. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

When I was in the AF, living off base, my neighbor was a young musician who was pretty much always toking. He drove a little green Pinto. The fellow was very adept at rolling one handed while driving. Guitar players have very dextrous fingers.
    He'd clean his weed while driving and just drop the seeds on the floor.
    This was in Charleston, SC so there was lots of rain. The Pinto leaked. Imagine that. One day we went somewhere in his car and I noticed on the rear floor, little plants were sprouting in the carpet.:D
    He let them grow for a few days then tried transplanting them but they all died.

towboater likes this.
  18. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

As a young lad in Iowa, I spent HUNDREDS of hours chopping hemp weeds out of bean fields, especially the 40 acres to the east of the cow pasture. Between the hemp and the sunflowers (either of which will beat the snot out of a combine) by the time we were done weeding that field, it would look like we'd turned the hogs out there.
    And today I hear a guy from the university on the radio touting industrial hemp!
    Makes the toe of my boot itch.
    As for growing pot, hey, people been getting rich making booze for 1000s of years. Do what you want, don't bother me or scare the livestock.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  19. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, what the heck do you expect from any Illinois politician??

towboater likes this.
  20. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Speaking from experience I see.

towboater likes this.