Here's a new random question thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bkt_tater, Oct 28, 2011.

1. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

Boots question thread

Since I have been on this forum, I have seen a lot of random questions and polls. So I have a new one. Kinda for personal information and also just to see what people think.

Since I am about to graduate with an electrical degree, I am going to have to buy steel toe boots to work in the industrial field. So here it is:

What do you think is the best steel toe work boots?

Lace up or slip on?

Let's see what people have to say....

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

We already have two "random question" threads, one for supporting members, one for non-supporters. We need another?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, assuming you are in the field, with electrical workers, you will be part of a Union and have kit dictated to you.:cool:

When you get your first duty assignment, assuming it is anything like my shop, you will get a list of MANDATORY MINIMUM gear you need to take the call.

Don't mind Lon, his Rangers are getting drilled like Sasha Grey for the second straight game. :mad:

JD

PS - for the record: Wesco will get you the job, but Hoffman are extremely popular in the rain heavy PNW.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, that's it.....

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I vote lace up, you get a tighter fit and better support

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

We have two "Random Thoughts" threads, one in the Clubhouse, one in the Bunker. But there is a "Random Questions" thread started by 'yours truly' in the Clubhouse, too. I didn't like hijaking a whole thread because I had a question about one small aspect of the entire thread.

In my opinion, that's where all random questions should be posted that can be answered in one or two replies.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/random-questions-thread-43503/

7. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to start a new random thought thread. It was late and i just got off work. I renamed the thread.... Better???? :p

I was just trying to see what people thought about steel toe work boot. What brand they thought were more comfortable? Which is better for work boots, lace up or pull on?

Now can I get some thoughts on that? Sorry again that it caused such a fuss about it being a new random question thread.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Quoted for truth.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have 3 different pairs in the trunk of my company ride. Different environments.

Laceups will give you a better fit. I also have high top slip on engineer boots- for mining ops. Those are metatarsal guards- armor runs from the toes to few inches above the ankle.

DO wait and get the specs on gear you need. Sometimes you get a contribution towards boots, sometimes a preferred price from a vendor. There ARE non steel safety toed footwear that meet standands. Synthetic cap, lighter.

DO NOT go by a $49 pair of boots at Wally World. Have had to do that when traveling and suitcase with boots goes astray. Spend $$$, buy GOOD footwear, GOOD socks- your feet willl thank you.

While there will be different opinions, and different regional products, go to the Redwing store.

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

depends on the work you're going to be doing, when I do tree work I have high lace up boot that cover most of my shine and lace all the way up so they don't come off, I have a pair of slip on's for working pretty much anywhere else.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Lace up. I had severe trauma to my left foot & ankle so I wear them for protection and support. I have a pair of steel-toe western pull-on boots that I use if I have to go outside quick, but on rough terrain the lace-ups are better...your feet won't move around as much inside and your legs won't tire out as quick.

12. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

Sorry I have been at work all day. Just now got home.

I have a pair from WM and those are the ones I use when doing yard work or whatever like that. And the honestly feel better on my feet than my Nike tennis shoes. And the don't hurt my knee (which has had 2 surgeries and looking at a total replacement).

Speaking of working environment. I have put applications in all over the place. Power company. Railroad. Honda plant. But I recently got accepted to take the test to go to work for US Steel as a electrical maintenance tech. This means that I am in the hiring process now.

What about comfort of brands? Do you think one is more comfortable than others?

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have found that just about any boot can be made specifically more comfortable when the two following additons are added.

1) Good socks. Can't be over stated that good socks that don't make your feet soak in your own sweat is a must.

2) Superfeet Inserts. Best damn inserts out there. Find the right style for your kind of foot (arch, walking style-pronate/supponate, etc) slip them into the boots and feel the Ahhhhh! :D

JD

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I wear CAT steel toed boots for my work on heavy equipment. Do not get slip on boots as after a few hours in the wet or when your feet start to sweat you will have a boot that slides on your foot.
    As Dillinger said you will be issued boots at a union shop. I spend anywhere between $100 to $150 per pair.