Here it is,

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by dog2000tj, May 15, 2009.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Ok so now that I got my girl broken in I went to the range today to give her a run. Here are the results :eek:

Rifle - DPMS LR308-B
    Ammo - Remington .308W
    Weight - 180 Gr
    Range - 100yd Indoor

I ran 10 rounds through to get warmed up. I then sent 2 rounds down range at 100yds. Not good, not good at all :( They hit but it was nowhere near good enough for me. So I adjusted the front sight 1 click, adjusted the rear sight 1 click, reset back at 25yds and sent 2 rounds down range,
    S5031980.jpg

Touching. I had been hitting well at this distance for the last 30-40 rounds during the break-in. So I reset at 50yds and sent 2 rounds down range,
    S5031981.jpg

Touching. I had been hitting pretty well at this distance as well so I reset at 75yds and sent 2 rounds down range,
    S5031982.jpg

Tight group but too high. I reset and sent 2 rounds down range,
    S5031983.jpg

I got them down but the group was no good. I chose to fire 2 rounds in succession as I wanted to be able to reacquire the target and fire immediately, no wait, no reset.

It looks as if I will need to put in more time at the 75yd mark and go from there. :)

2. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Do what I did with mine - put a scope on it. Or if you want BUIS, get an ultra-high see-thru scope mount. I made a .40" 3-shot group at 100 yds. with the same weapon using reloads, the 4th shot was a "flyer" which opened up the group to 1". That's no 75 yd. gun! Whenever I buy a gun I always put a scope on it and bench rest it to see what the gun is capable of. Once I am satisfied that the gun shoots well, then the work begins - trying to shoot as accurately as the gun can! You also might try some 150 and 168gr. loads. I get excellent accuracy with both.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2009

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You got a 100yd indoor range? kool

Nice job but think more down the pipe is required.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Not yet RL. I want to get proficient with the iron sights out at 100yds first. I'm still looking around at scopes. The range has a sales shop as well so I've been able to physically look at the scopes to try and get an idea of what fits me.

BTW - that's some nice shooten' Ray. ;)

Not me personally, but it is only 45 minutes away and the facility and people are very good. ;) I would like some more light in the range though. Out at 75yds with the amber glasses, the orange target and my colorblindness it gets a bit iffy seeing it. So at 75yds and beyond I have been working off the black corner blocks and going for center. I definitely plan on putting more down range. Now that I got her broken in she is running very smooth and very consistent. Next trip I may try a different target background to see if that helps.

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

It's not me Darren, it's the gun! Buying that rifle was the best gun purchase I ever made.

I have the same issues with those damned "Champion Score Keeper" targets. I can't use them with open sights at my 100yd. range because the contrast is simply not enough to get a good aim-point. I have found that plain old black on white works the best. I have some old irridescent hot-pink computer paper from 15 yrs. ago that hurts your eyes to look at, and I use it to cut-out 2" circles & squares and tape these to the target centers. If it wasn't for the curvature of the earth, you would be able to see them from coast to coast!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Naw Ray, I can see them here in S. Florida! That's Pink!

7. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

It's HORRENDOUS is what it is! The photo really doesn't do it justice - you have to see it in real life - you'll go blind. When I worked in MIS some fool ordered a whole case of that crap and I took a half-ream of it home for targets. That was 15 years ago and I still have more than half of it left. It makes great target centers for long range shooting, especially for older eye's like mine!

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Mrs. canebrake is a teacher. You have given me a great idea for those 100yd shoots!

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

????? We're not going to be hearing about you on the 6 o'clock news are we???lol

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Wow, I guess that didn't come out right did it??

I think I'll have her look for some scrap paper for me to use on my targets!

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

LOL - I thought maybe you were gonna have her bring some Political Science Professors over to hold your 100 yd. targets for you...

12. bmb1127

bmb1127 New Member

sighting in can be a pain but once you get it dialed in there is nothing better