Here is a HELL of a good argument for having a "silent" meat taking gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Dillinger, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Everyone has a basic idea of what they need for their version of SHTF. Recently Lady Samples posted a very thought provoking thread about it.

One of the things that is often overlooked is the ability to hunt or take meat quietly without setting all the birds in two counties into flight and holding up a neon sign that says "HERE I AM".

Found a nifty little piece of history today and thought I would share it with you all as "food" for thought.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Girandoni air rifle as used by Lewis and Clark. A National Firearms Museum Treasure Gun.[/ame]

2. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

Anschutz actually makes good hunting air rifles speaking of

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And the Lady knows her air rifles. ;)

Anschutz has been turning out some excellent quality air rifles, air pistols, & shotguns for like 150 years. Something like that. Top quality stuff and not cheap, but worth the investment.

4. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Good History

Dillinger: Sir, what a story. I didn't have any idea. Thanks for sharing ''history'':)

5. safedman

safedman New Member

Thank you for sharing. I learned something new today.
    I like my pellet gun for rabbit. Works fine.

6. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

I told you I got an anschutz 22 didn't I?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Nobody would hear you if you were picking berries and depriving bears of vital forage. :D

8. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Check out the air arms S410 .22. Had one for years. Deadly on bunnies at 60 yards, legal in UK at up to 12 ft lbs. Good for 60 shots on one charge. Can be modded up to 40 ft lbs. Not that I would ever attempt this as it is not legal :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

PCP (pre charged Pneumatics) can be quite powerful (deer hunting)- but not really quiet.

Have an old Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm that will drop a squirrel at 45 yards. CCI CB Longs are about as quiet as a well suppressed rifle. Braided metal fishing line leader also makes very good small game snares.

10. Win73

Win73 New Member

My crossbow is probably louder than an air gun but not near as loud as a rifle.

11. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

Nice ever time i hear that i think of the ski shoot olympic event. bet its fun to shoot tho!

And JD I saw that video in another thread. talk about awesome if they made one now and more modern that you didnt have to have a compressor for that would be the ultimate SHTF gun. Talk about taking out the Zombies and not being heard. a .45 caliber one would be awesome! especially if you could you .45 acp bullets and the like(.458 socom too)... Just a thought:rolleyes: maybe someone should make one.

12. freefall

freefall New Member

A guy showed me a suppressed .22 air rifle a couple weeks ago, operates at 3000 psi, you get about four shots before you have to pump it another half dozen times. (About 50 times from 0 psi.) It was about as loud as my cheap Daisy that I use to chase the moose out of the garden. He killed a fox with it at 65 yards. I was impressed, but it sure ain't cheap.

13. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I found that piece extremely interesting! Thanks for posting the link.