Here in UK our range will be open on 23 May...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by tac foley, May 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM.

1. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Range Operating Instructions.

The club will be operating a ‘Shoot and go policy’ (Turn up, park, shoot and go. No social.)

There will be a one-way system on and off of the firing points. Please show the RO your membership card on the range, the club house will be closed. RO will note your membership number and the calibre of rifle used. Green cards will be updated for you. 100/50m range.

Entry will be up the ramp, exit after a detail will be from the front of the firing point and through the gate at the left of the firing point when the RO gives permission to do so. Exit if needed from the rear of the firing point will be down the steps (unless wheelchair bound). 25m range.

Entry will be through the door and exit at the end of the detail will be through the gate at right of the firing pint when the RO gives permission to do so. There will be 45 minute details with 15 minute change overs to allow as many shooters as possible to shoot during the course of a session.

Firing points will be available on a first come basis. Details will last 45 minutes. Unless there is capacity shooters are asked to shoot one detail only.

Please wait in the car park until the start of the detail. One member per firing point unless from the same household and then no more than two members.

Target boards will be kept in the blue hut and returned to the blue hut after use. Target boards are to be prepared in the car park. Members are asked to maintain a safe distance from each other – 2m.

It is the responsibly of all members to maintain safe distancing. No card – no shooting.

Please do not attend the ranges if you or anyone in your household are unwell.

All usual Range Standing Orders will apply.

The clubroom and clubroom toilets will not be in use. Toilets by the blue hut are to be used. There will be hand sanitiser on the ranges, in the toilets and the blue hut.

Please to avoid congestion bring the minimum of equipment with you to shoot safely. There will be no club rifles available to use and no ammunition to purchase.

There will be no tuition.

Please use your own firearms only.

Provisional members without a FAC are requested not to attend the ranges. Provisional period will be extended accordingly.

There will be no guest days or visitors to the range until further notice.

Sessions will depend on the availability of Range Officers.

CRO 18.05.20

2. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

No word on the ranges here yet.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

TAC,
    Well that is a start! At least a guy or gal can get some Range Time until the seriousness of this mess fades away! Thank God you do not have some of the Tyrannical Governors like a few we have here in the USA! Power happy POLITICAL Idiots! And Americans are starting to rebel! Good for them!;)

Caveman Jim and tac foley like this.
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Far as I know all ranges are open here.
    Mine is.
    All the paid ones here are.
    Guns and ranges are essential here.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. tac foley

Yup, in that respect we can be thought of as luckier than you guys. We don't have states, just counties, and there is no 'county head' either. 'All' we have an overweening government that makes laws that in the end benefit nobody but the criminally intent, who often use the unarmed UK population as an easy source of revenue.

6. manta

7. tac foley

towboater and manta like this.
  8. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Shoot and go. Is there something else to be done at the shooting range? :D

Here they just limit 1 shooter in each lane. Again, does it not make sense anyhow? Always believed that a shooting lane and a urinal are to accommodate one person at a time.

donthav1 and towboater like this.
  9. tac foley

Here in yUK we tend to talk a lot to other shooters on the range. Nobody tends to stand around in the carpark yakking, so it's behind the firing line so's not to put off shooters. We tend to be a very social bunch, utterly devoid of range ninjas and such that seem to plague ranges in the US.

As for the one member per range thing, shooters here often bring their youngsters along to shoot just like you do. Whole-family membership is very much a part of the club ethos here in yUK. As an example there is one family of seven, all shooters, ranging from eight to forty-eight. So the limitation is to ensure that IF the principal shooter does bring along another family member, it's just the one.

sheriffjohn and manta like this.
  10. Mercator

I don’t see many ninjas, don’t know where that came from. Many dudes wear hunting gear to preseason practice and sighting in. More annoying is people shooting semiauto rifles at 10 yards indoor and laughing hysterically, and filming on their dumbphones.

11. tac foley

I'm sorry to have to admit that we don't get anybody here shooting their semiauto rifles, indoor or out. Unless you count .22s, that is.

I write on a more than this great site, and I often read about range ninjas - even encountered one once at English Pit range near Camus WA. He was tricked in SOOOO much US Navy-style digicam 'tacticool stuff', including a matched pair of Colt .45 M1911s with compasses set in the grips stuck in tie-down mid-thigh holsters - each with half a dozen magazines shared out in his ALICE gear, that it was just embarrassing to be seen near him.

I hafta say that he was more than generous with his ammunition, though - I don't bleeve there was a square foot downrange that didn't get its own share.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 12:46 PM
    towboater, ellis36 and PaBushMan like this.
  12. tac foley

Just to let you know, Good Folks over there, that I have just loaded up a whole bunch of 405gr .45-70 Govt BP rounds with which to help pollute the atmosphere tomorrow morning. To help me accomplish this worthy ambition, I'll be taking along my High Wall rifle.

upload_2020-5-22_20-56-6.png

Wish me luck, Boys!!

13. Mercator

What is the situation with suppressors in England?
    (It's still OK to say England, right?

Okay there is that :)
    PS. Compasses... you men freemason custom grips??

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    towboater likes this.
  14. tac foley

Second things first - the compasses. He had actual real live teeny button compasses set into the grips so that, probably, each hand knew which way it was pointing. Don't ask. I didn't.

Sure you can say England, but I'm guessing that you mean the UK, right? That's England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, where friend Manta lives.

The laws on suppressors/moderators [you call 'em what you like] are simple. When you apply for your Firearms Certificate [FAC] you add to the list of guns you want that you want a suppressor or two, or three, one for each calibre, maybe. One for a .22, one for a .6.5x55 or .308 and one for your .338LM. Please note that is you are involved in pest control or some deer talking locations [not called hunting here, that is done on horses with hounds], especially if you do a lot of night shooting - that's foxes, right? - a suppressor might not be an option, but compulsory. There is no tax to pay with a suppressor, all you need to buy one is the entry on the FAC. One entry = one suppressor and so on.

You can have a suppressor on ANY air rifle under 12ft lbs m/e, but once over that, the air rifle becomes a Section 1 firearm, like any cartridge-shooting rifle, and, again, the suppressor must be there on your 'ticket' to be legal. Illegal suppressors exist, I'm sure, but the risk of getting caught out with one is pretty high and the penalties are draconian to say the least. Putting your sub-12 ft lb air rifle suppressor on your .22 rimfire will most certainly -

a. Cost you your FAC.

b. All your guns as a result of a.

c. A certain amount of financial hardship.

d.. Possible custodial sentence. If the custodial sentence is longer than six months, then you can never have an FAC again. A bit like your felon and firearms laws.

manta likes this.
  15. manta

One difference in N/I all air rifles and pistols are FAC only.

tac foley likes this.
  16. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

So, Tac, how do they do Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays over there during the pandemic ? My club opened Sporting Clays last week with reservations required to limit # of squads and discourage standing around before/after shooting. Mostly go pee behind a tree as range house is closed.

17. tac foley

Yup, I know that, having spent an inordinate amount of my life there, as far as I can see, for no good reason. At least I always left standing up.

We were talking about suppressors, though, right?

18. tac foley

I don't do any of those sports, but I'll take a look and see what's going on - there are about 4500 such location in GB,

BTW, all ranges here are required to have lavatorial facilities, so sneak-peeing whilst concealed by trees is not necessary.

I'll look around and see what the clay grounds are up to and report, OK?

sheriffjohn likes this.
  19. tac foley

First day open at our gun club @9:00 this morning, I really thought I'd be fighting my way in, but it didn't work out like that. By the time the RCO called hot on the line, there were still only five of us on the 100/50m section, and three over on the 25m range...

We'll get over this Chinese Communist Plague, but it will take a while. I have no idea about the 4500+ clay shooting facilities here, but I'll be finding out momentarily.

G66enigma, towboater and sheriffjohn like this.