Here in Oregon

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BeyondTheBox, Feb 3, 2013.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Let's just put it out there and help each other understand how things work in our individual states, to better understand each others trials and dealings.

Here, in Oregon:

we're open carry friendly, with a few of the major cities having their own requirements and limitations.

To obtain a CCP is as simple as showing signed proof of attending a state approved instructors class and passing simple felony free background check. What the class consists of may vary, I'm not sure, but mine was the instructor talking about how not to get locked up if you shoot someone, mostly.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yup, fill out the application, get fingerprinted, get your photo taken and pay the fees. In Josephine County it's a total of $65.00.

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I believe it was the same here in Yamhill County.

Also, in Oregon, getting a gun requires fingerprinting and registration of gun.

4. CA357

You lost me there. I didn't have to get fingerprinted to buy guns.

5. deadeye

deadeye New Member

Yep, I've had to give up two thumb prints every time I've purchased a gun from a dealer here in Oregon.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, doesn't bother me a bit either.

7. CA357

Really? I got a delay, so I'm waiting to pick up a couple of handguns from a dealer. Maybe the fingerprinting happens when I pick them up. Does that sound about right?

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Last gun bought I had to wait for approval, was quoted almost a month wait. But policy says if no word from FBI in 3 days I can pick up under assumption everything is good. I did and all was well.

9. CA357

We moved here in September and into our house just before Thanksgiving. I got my OR drivers license in early December and went an bought the two guns. I got a delay until Jan. 11th and then they extended it until Feb. 11th. The strange thing is that I applied for my CWP around the same time I bought the guns and it arrived last week.

I'm really shocked about the delay. I have my FFL03, a Utah non resident CWP and had my CA concealed carry permit as well until it expired in October after we moved here. Weird huh?

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Permits for carry are County dependent and specific, so a smaller County will have quicker turn around times. Here in Yamhill I got mine in about 3 weeks a year ago.

Did you get your guns yet? I'm pretty sure that 3 day policy is state wide. You should just go pick them up.

11. CA357

No, I'm still waiting to pick them up. The shop is waiting for an okay from the OSP. They're the ones that issued the delay.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Ahhh... well that just sux man. I hope you have a better experience next time, should there be one.

13. CA357

Oh, there'll be other times. There's no reason I can think of for this, so I expect it to get sorted out so that the next time will be smooth. I've been printed and live-scanned and background checked for years, so this is very unusual and I expect just an anomaly.

14. hawaiifrank

hawaiifrank New Member

Here in TX if you have your CHL, you do not have to do a background check. You are automatically good to go when purchasing after showing the CC permit.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I like that a lot!

16. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

In South Carolina, you have to be a citizen of the US, legal age, have drivers license, attend an 8 hour course given by a state approved instructor, and pass a 50 question test. Then pass the shooting range test. Finger printed, Background check through SLED, South Carolina's version of FBI. If you pass all that, then you wait 90 days for your license.

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Great info Thanks. What about getting guns?