Here Comes the Taurus Judge!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by YankeeTactical-com, Nov 10, 2012.

1. YankeeTactical-com

YankeeTactical-com New Member

When a friend of mine told me he found the ultimate handgun I had to say I was a bit skeptical. Sure, it sounded great to fire a heavy duty pistol round and a shotgun shell, but seriously what would you use it for? Seems I had a lot to learn.

Taurus has introduced a handgun perfect for the outdoorsman. Imagine hiking on the way to your favorite tree stand and finding one of the denizens of the forest blocking your path. Granted most will either run or slither off, but some, like the cottonmouth, is no respecter of size. So unless you are a master of the dance while loaded down with your gear, firepower may be your only option.

Chambered for the .410 shotgun shell, the Taurus Judge packs an effective package of shredding power to reliably send the slithering monster to his eternal reward. However, if the troll blocking your path stands upright in challenge, the Judge also fires the .45 Colt cartridge – a half inch diameter hole going in and an hole you can’t cover your hand with coming out.

"The Judge" is the appropriate name for this five-shot revolver. Weighing in at just under 36 ounces, the Taurus Judge comfortably holsters on the hip or across the chest, ready to dispense justice at both long and short distances.

The elephant in the room is always the question its use as a self defense weapon. The .410 shotgun shell proves that this revolver is a close range proposition. At ranges greater than twelve feet, the shot pattern opens rather quickly. So distance is a factor to keep the pattern tight enough to assure a quick kill. Keep in mind the added dimension of the shot gauge will determine whether the carjacker who jerks your door open and demands your vehicle, receives a face altering birdshot or a closed casket funeral.

At distances longer than twelve feet, .45 Colt loads is the answer. Accuracy is what you would expect for this tried and true load. Recognize that the Taurus Judge is not meant to be a paper-punching target revolver, but rather a practical and versatile fighting weapon. One online recommendation I saw suggested two number four shot load followed by three hollow points might be the ideal for conflict resolution.

In my experience, the trigger pull was smooth in single action measured a clean four and three-quarters pounds. The double action measured in at noticeable but reasonable nine and one half pounds. All told, this is a lot of fun to shoot! The Taurus ‘ribber’ grips and padded back strap are both comfortable and recoil reducing thus taking the bite out of the Judge’s bark.

Versatile and attention getting. Pack extra ammo for all of the guys at the range who want to shoot it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Until Winchester developed their PDX .410 shell for the new .45/.410 handguns I found the shotgun capabilities to a lot more hype than practicality other than as a snake gun. This was largely due to the limited availability of buck loads in .410 and the very limited penetration ability of bird shot. As a .45 Colt revolver the large cylinder added a lot of length and bulk to the weapon. Winchester's round makes these guns more versitile.

Smith and Wesson's introduction of the Governor indicates that there is a market for these large revolvers, and the added capability to use .45 ACP rounds gives even more versatility and a larger selection of ammo to choose from.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Ultimate handgun?
    Most say nay :eek:
    If you bought one & like it proud for you tho---

4. SSGN_Doc

Oh, yeah. I don't think of the Judge or Governor as "ultimate" in handguning, but I do appreciate some of the versatility that they have now.

5. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

Chalk it up to being a rookie, but I cannot phathom one firearm shooting a bullet and buckshot. Plus the recoil must be a little painful. Any member have thoughts on this?

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

This guy is a spamer posting this junk on every gun forum that will allow it- He's just advertising his website & facebook junk -------It was already removed from one site i visit----

7. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Recoil is not bad at all. No more than a everyday .45 colt revolver.

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

When I first started reading I was thinking "this guy must not git news more than once every 4 years." He is a little behind on the time. Some one should tell him S&W makes ARs he would freak lol.

9. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Reminds me of dumb and dumber... We landed on the moon!

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thought the same- didn't say he was a GUD spammer LOL

11. SSGN_Doc

.410 shells don't pack that much of a whollup. That's why the bird shot shells are kind of a joke for defense. They were made for birds that have thin skin and hollow bones. Not saying a face full of birdshot would be fun, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it stopping a determined attacker.

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Just ask Dick Cheney what it's like to shoot someone in the face with bird shot.

13. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

There was an article in one of the recent magazines regarding the bigger revolvers, or what some refer to as a hog leg, that is you shoot this particular size of revolvers could danger your wrist. The author is a doctor, and he had a picture of one of his patients going through surgery on his left wrist that showed the nerve in a bell or hourglass pattern. Wonder if the Judge or the Governor could put your wrist in this type of danger?

14. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Wrist damage, if any,I'd going to come from shooting small light weight guns. If they made a titanium framed snub nose judge then maybe. Big guns are very good at absorbing recoil.

15. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

One of the specific revolver he mentioned was the S&W 500. Not sure how this model compares to the Judge or Governor. Does anyone know what the differences would be?

16. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

The difference is huge. I've fired both 45 LC and the .500. The .500 packs a big punch, particularly in the 4 inch version, however I feel fine shooting it with a proper grip but 50 rounds is about my limit. Then again my little 642 Airweight .32 hurts after 50 rounds of +p as well. The heavy weight of the .500 helps a lot. Also, the OP is nothing more than a spammer who cut and pasted the his post from somewhere else. It's funny how how he wrote like the Judge was kind new thing, its been out for years.

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Judge- Neither fish nor fowl. It's an awkward revolver using normal ammunition. Accuracy will suffer due to the length of the chambers. As a shotgun it's marginal beyond "across the room" distances. Oh and don't forget, you are getting the quality control and customer service that Taurus is renowned for :rolleyes:. And to cap it all off, it's...well...ugly. Sorry no thanks. If one MUST buy a gun of this nature, get the S&W Governor. At least you stand a reasonable chance of losing the QC and CS issues.
    .500 S&W vs a Judge? "OMIGOD WTF WAS THAT!?" vs. "Oh, how cute, a Judge."

18. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I bought a "JUDGE" several years ago for my wife. It's a great novelty item and conversation piece. Shooting it is fun for awhile buy you'l quickly get bored with it. Mine is still sitting in the safe. collecting dust....

Attached Files:

• 4510.jpg
      4510.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
  19. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Yeah, it's been around for awhile... I totally FORGOT about that silly thing until I saw this thread! I even wondered if I even still had it? Normally, if I don't shoot it I trade it or sell it. Ho yeah, I gave it to my wife...

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

My step Dad has a bond derringer with interchangeable barrels. We shoot .22's for fun. It will also take two other barrel sets, the biggest being 410/.45 colt. I think the other is .38/.357 mag, but I'm not sure.

With full house 410 self defense loads, his derringer (which is VERY much smaller than the judge), does have a significantly sharp recoil. But, it's not outrageous. You don't want to plink with it all day for fun, but getting off two hard hitting shots before you can get to something better (his M&P .40 in the console between the truck seats) ain't gonna kill you. Heck, you won't even feel it the next day. No worse than a heavy built revolver with hot .357 magnum loads in my experience.