Here another from my collection

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by string1946, May 8, 2013.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

This is a Czech Mauser 98/22 and is in pretty good condition. I can only find one serial number and thats on the receiver ring.

Attached Files:

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

very nice rifle.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Yep. Cool old rifle.

4. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

She might make the Playboy centerfold one day, eh? ;)

5. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Nice score. I appears to be in great condition.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Beautiful!

I had a little trouble reading the numbers on that rear sight leaf, though. ;)

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You were looking at it upside down.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

In Germany and Czech, and most likely all of Europe, you register the barrel. The barrel is the gun. The serial number on the Mauser is what I report on the paperwork to the weapons registry (Feds). This law causes problems for caliber conversion kits. A hunter can only own two handguns. If you buy a .357 Sig barrel for your Glock 22, you have just used up your two handgun limit. Rifles are unlimited, but you have to go through all the red tape and fees for a second barrel/conversion barrel. Nice Mauser by the way. Very accurate and durable guns. Enjoy.

9. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Very nice, very nice indeed!

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

From what I can find out, after WW1 and the collapse of the Hapsburg monarchy the State of Czechoslovakia was founded and the 98/22 was one of the first weapons they produced. But it wasn't long before like a lot of nations at that time they decided to go with short rifles and started producing the VZ23 and VZ24. They continued to manafacture the 98/22 for a number more year and sold most of those to Turkey thus the Turkish or Farsi numbers on the rear sight that Orangello was having trouble deciphing. :D

11. string1946

string1946 New Member

Another Turkish Rifle

Here's another Turkish Rifle that's not in as good shape as the one above but still not bad for 95 years old. The stock doesn't look like walnut so I assume its beech wood. Other than that its almost like the first one except the upper hand guard doesn't extend behind the rear sight and the rear sight is different. (Orangello... we can read this one) It looks like a standard Gewehr 98 except for the cresent moon stamped on the receiver ring. I read that a lot of the GEW 98 rifles given to the Ottoman Empire were converted to the turkish M38 standard before, during and after WW2. This one was not. I wish these old milsurp rifles could talk.

Attached Files:

12. string1946

string1946 New Member

Here's another one

Here is my M 96 Swedish Mauser. I think there are beautiful rifles. When they built this rifles they didn't cut any corners. They even took time to make the shape of the stock easy on the eyes. I have never fired this rifle but if it ever drys out enough for me to get my tractor back on my range and get it finished its going to be one of the first break in the new range. If anyone is interested in how to read the stock disk look here.

www.chuckhawks.com/swedish_mauser.htm

The muzzle is threaded with a cap on it and have read its for a blank firing device. I'm not sure why you would need a special device to fire blanks in a bolt action rifle but there it is. All numbers match.

Attached Files:

13. string1946

string1946 New Member

The range

Btw this is the range today and supposed to rain again tomorrow.

Attached Files:

14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Sure a nice one. Kinda missing the one I traded off now. Great round.

15. string1946

string1946 New Member

Oh heres another one

The way I understand it this is a German KAR 98 Mauser that was left in Serbia/Yugoslavia after Germans wore out their welcome and decided to pull up stakes. So these are either German rifles or rifles put together from salvaged German parts. The rifles were refurbished at Yugoslav arms works in Kragujevac in present day Serbia at Zastava Arms (Preduzece 44) at which time most of the German markings were scrubbed. Btw this is the same place that the Yugo car was/is made. After about 1950 they were marked Mod 98/48. Some times they will be found without the bolt takedown disk which just means the stock was replaced when it was refurbished. This one the receiver and stock numbers match but the bolt and floorplate does not. If anyone has an additional info or any corrections to mine please jump in. Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. string1946

string1946 New Member

Another one

This is another Yugoslavian Mauser. This is the rifle that was manufactured in Yugoslavia from 1948 to 1965. They made the M-48, M-48A, M-48B and M-48BO. The M-48 had all machined parts and the later models added more and more stamped parts except the M-48BO which was M-48B without any markings. This is a M-48A that has a stamped floor plate. All numbers, receiver, bolt, stock and floor plate match.

Attached Files:

17. string1946

string1946 New Member

A Jewish Mauser

I always thought it very interesting that after WW2 when the state of Israel was established, they acquired surplus Mausers from Germany and Czechoslovakia and at some point they had them rebarreled to 7.62x51. Who knows, some of the rifles they got from Germany to protect the new Jewish State could have been some of the same ones used to herd the Jewish people into the cattle cars. I have also heard that they contracted with FN to manufacture new Mausers in the same caliber which is what I believe this rifle is because of the IDF crest on the receiver.

Attached Files:

18. string1946

string1946 New Member

A few of this last one

Here are a few pictures of my Spanish FR8 which is a large ring Spanish Mauser that they modified to fill in until they could manufacture enough CETMEs. Its chambered for the 7.62 X 51 as is the CETME. I would like to get someone to come up with a way to mount an EER scope on it as that would make a very nice scout rifle.

Attached Files:

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Err scope mount? I would try to find a way to attach a mount to the barrel, inbetween the handguard and front sight.