Henry, Winchester, Marlin, others?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by eborden1122, Mar 10, 2013.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I am looking for a lever action rifle in either a 30-30 or 357mag but there are sooo many different makes that it is giving me a headache. If you have any experience with these would you please give me a suggestion as what makes are better or more reliable than another. Thank you

2. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Dont forget the Rossi's, Ive got a henry 22lr love it smothest action of all, marlin 336 in 30-30 great gun,rossi rio grand in 30-30 not as smoth as the marlin but still a great gun shoots awsome, rossi ranch hand in 44mag just plain a blast to shoot

Its all pretty much how much u wana spend.

3. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have Henry in 22 mag. Also have a Marlin 30-30 but the Henry gets my vote!!!

4. Hawg

Hawg New Member

The Henry is heavy, I'd go with an older Winchester.

5. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I have a 357 Rossi and a Henry big boy in 357. Both great rifles, but as stated the Henry is heavy. My Rossi is one of my favorite rifles I've owned for a long time. Accurate and dependable. I'd go with the Rossi, but I may be biased.

6. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I currently own only one lever action. It is an older Marlin 336 in 30-30. I put a Skinner peep sight on it but I have not had a chance to bring it to the range yet. I am looking at expanding my collection of levers and besides those makes you have mentioned, I am looking at Brownings and the Savage 99.

7. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Hard to go wrong with a Marlin 336. ;)

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I love my Marlin .45-70, it's definately a thumper! If you choose Marlin & I reccomend them, make certain that it is stamped with "JM" on the barrel up near the receiver. Those are the pre-Remington guns and they are excellent. This means that you'll almost certainly have to buy a used one.

9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't forget the Brownings. Either the "81", or "92" are high quality shooters. The downside is that like all quality firearms they tend to be a bit expensive.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

30-30---Winchester
    357---Marlin
    Stay away from Winchester 94's in pistol calibers-

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My Marlin ejects the cartridge from the side.

Makes it easier to mount a scope, regardless

of caliber.

An earlier model, as others have wisely stated,

would be in order.

Sometimes, with used rifles, the seller throws in

a decent scope, sling, and case with the sale.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  12. AR10

AR10 New Member

To the OP, your caliber choices are like saying I am going to a dance and I want to dance with a fat girl, or a skinny girl.

One cartridge is primarily a handgun cartridge to make it possible to have one size ammo available for both your rifle as well as your revolver. The 30-30 is a dedicated rifle cartridge with a rich history going back to the American west in many lever action rifles.

I have a Winchester model 1894, made in 1898 in 30-30.

The lever action calibers in handgun rounds are a compromise. Not necessarily a bad choice, but usually paired with a matching sidearm.

I have on my Xmas list the Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 mag because I like the novelty of it, and because it is as close to a tax stamp weapon as one can get. I have a Ruger RedHawk, and to have a short barrel, short stock rifle (anybody that thinks the Ranch Hand is a pistol is crackers) to compliment my revolver caliber.

13. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I have a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 - Great Gun, and a Henry Heavy Octagon Barrel Golden Boy in .22 Mag - Awesome Gun. The Henry has the absolute smoothest action out of any lever action I have ever handled. I like the Henry 30-30 except for the fact that it is still a tube load like the .22's.

14. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You are correct, I already have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 357mag so that is why I was asking about that caliber. The reason I am considering the 30-30 is because I had one when I was younger but it went bye bye when my parents house burnt down many years ago. Thank you all for your input. I can read magazine after magazine but I really like the input I get from here and first hand experiences many have encountered. Thanks again and take care to all.