Henry vs Marlin

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by rferguson61, Nov 15, 2012.

1. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

My dads looking at buying a lever action .22 and has been looking at the Henry (not the golden boy). But i have been reading about Marlins and people seem to love Marlin .22s. So i figured id throw it on here for discussion.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Both are good. I like marlin 39's better than Henry's cuz I think fit and finish is better in the marlins as is the accuracy

3. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

The Marlin wins on all counts.

4. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Can you give reasons why?

5. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Agreed, but it should be Marlin 39A is $600 and Henry is $250.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yeah, I'd like more details, too. I have my heart set on a Henry Lever.

7. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

The company's been around for well over a hundred years, which has to amount to something and when their rifles are closely examined I believe the Henry's aren't equal. Just pick up each one and look at the wood and then the metal and then the fit. You can feel the difference holding it blindfolded. Marlin comes out on top and you get what you pay for. It's only my opinion and not gospel. I had a model 39A for a number of years that was great and 10 years ago I gave it to a family member who loved it and I know shot the heck out of it with no problems. My first 22 was the Crown Prince made in 1959 that I gave to my son and will soon be given to my grandson. They are very well made rifles that have been proven through history, but each person has to decide for themselves what they want. If price is the issue, then by all means go for the Henry.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  8. northhike

northhike New Member

Ask a hundred people and you get a hundred answers. ;) I own both....I have a Henry Frontier which is fantastic (but then again I like lever actions) and I have a 982vs Marlin bolt action. Both brands are fantastic. Henry is known for its lever action guns and they are smooth as butter. Marlin is known for its accuracy and on their stainless steel models the action is smooth as well. Bolt or lever...you choose....its what makes you happy. If you went with either you would have made a great decision and both are much more accurate and reliable then the person holding them. ;) There is no "hands down" winner....both manufactuers have a great history of making quality firearms. The rest is pure opinion and sentimental memories. :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. winds-of-change

I have shot my Dad's bolt action Marlin and I don't really like working the bolt. Maybe if I practiced with it more I'd be okay with it. When I work the bolt it's jerky and awkward.

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I like the Marlin Levers better, even more than Winchesters.

Marlins are the smoothest lever guns Ive shot. They have nice balance. They just feel "right"

Im currently looking for a '60's era 39 to match up with my 336... :)

11. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

If funding were no object, I'd go with the Marlin just for the name.

However, If money were tight, I go with Henry and have a gunsmith tweak it out to all metal (some parts are plastic) and put a durable finish on it.

But that is just me, I like hemi dodge's over any other car. My neighbor is a BMW guy.

12. winds-of-change

Do you like the Marlin Levers better than the Henry Levers?

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Marlins are all steel. Henry's aren't. Problem and question solved.

14. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

nothhike hit the nail on the head.I have a Henry Golden Boy & a Marlin 39A.I like them both the same.Now the Marlins are made by Remington...!

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Marlins aren't made by Remington you nitwit. Remington and Marlin are made in the same plant but they are still both totally seperate companies owned by American arms group.

16. northhike

northhike New Member

Humm....I always hear this "its plastic vs. metal" opinion. Lots of guns are made of plastic and have plastic peices these days and they are just as reliable....maybe more so then metal. I have a few guns like my M&P's that have plastic on them. My carry gun has plastic on it....we need to get over the "all metal" mentality. Things have evolved and yes....plastic can be cheaper, but that doesn't make it "cheap" (as in quality).

Here is what I say....if you want your opinion to hold some water on one brand vs. the other lets use some logic. How many Henry .22's are sent back due to breakage, malfuction, complaints, etc. because they have plastic as compared to Marlin who uses more metal? Lots of opinions out there and little facts. I personally enjoy both makers as well as others. Just go out and shoot....I am quite certain any gun you choose (high price or low) will give you many years of enjoyment. :cool:

17. genesis

genesis New Member

I have a few Marlin lever guns now. I to have been looking at both of these 22's as I just like lever actions. Is one better than the other. I really don't know, and really don't care. They're both damn fine guns. I'll probably go with the Henry and never look back. Go to youtube and do a search on both "Marlin 22 lever" and "Henry 22 lever". You will find a ton of video reviews on both models.

Happy shooting,

Don <><

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

When it comes to any Lever gun, Im a Marlin person.. Like I said they just "feel" right, I like how they balance, how the stocks feel.

Honestly, I would go check out both and get the one you like better... :)

Oh yeah, the 39 is a take-down.. And thats always neater... ;)

As for plastic vs. metal... Get back with me when your "plastic" gun is 100 yrs. old.....

19. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Wow Marlinman... U have to revert to name calling....I am impressed...Not! Point is they are not made by Marlin anymore! Point is none of Marlin skilled craftmen went down to the new plant. Point is have a great day and awesome Thanksgiving and may the bird of paradise fly up your... Nose. lol:D Cliff

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The point I'm trying to make to is NONE of american arms sub companies is made by the same people they originally were.