Henry Survival Rifle.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Threetango, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Went by my LGS this morning and they had just put this HSR out on display and only had one.
    Wife had been bugging me about getting her a survival rifle for her BOB since I have the Springer Scout M6 so I picked it up for her.

First pic has everything in the stock and 16.5 inches long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

The stock has some room for ammo? I did not know that....now I want one.

3. Threetango

Yes, one extra 8 rd mag fits in the stock also and it has a picatinny rail on top for a scope..

4. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Nice box of ammo!

Wish I had some...

Cool rifle, too!

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice rifle! My sister got each of my nephews one for Christmas; they were very happy. One did have a barrel problem, but the manufacturer sent out a replacement ASAP.

LOL! You funny!

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Just in time for Easter -- another resurrection of this POS? Not to rain on your floating parade but you shoulda saved your money.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

why are they a POS? and what's wrong with them? seems like a pretty nifty gun for a backpacker or someone wanting a very compact rifle that doesn't take up a lot of room.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The genius of Eugene Stoner.... The AR-7 was a fantastic design. The entire rifle disassembles and stores in the stock; along with two 8 round magazines. And it floats! If only it would cycle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  9. Threetango

It's my understanding that the problems occurred when Charter Arms was doing the manufacturing.
    Let's give it a chance before slamming it, now that Henry is doing the build and HockaLouis thanks for your unbiased observation and tact.

When I have run some cheap and good rounds through it I will give my opinion.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Don't mean to be too negative. :(

It's gotta be better than the Charter Arms version, especially the early one, but you're already on a rocky road with cheap ammo. You need decent 40 grain high velocity ball not low quality 36 grain HP if there is any hope of reliability.

I would just most kindly suggest that you never find yourself, your great friends, or your loving family in a less-than-ideal situation where you might have to rely upon it to some extent. :)

Have a great day...
    ...at the range!

11. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

You can actually carry 3 mags in the stock. Two in the slots dedicated for the mags and one inserted in the receiver before your stow it.

I love mine. It's a cool concept and is easy to store in my glovebox in my van. I wouldn't say it's the gun for a SHTF situation but it's easy to pack around if you had to. I'd rather tote one of these around if I were backpacking compared to a full sized rifle.

12. Ishooter

Ishooter New Member

I had one from Charter Arms and it worked fine.

I gave it to my brother for Christmas some 30 plus years ago and he has given it to his son. Who is still using it.

Now they don't take it out and put a couple hundred rounds through it each week. They do shoot it a couple times a year and run at least 100 or so rounds through it when they do bring it out to the house.

The only thing that I know that has been dun to it is they had to replace a spring that broke.

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I wouldn't mind having one, it's a really neat idea, but the grip is huge, very un-ergonomic in my opinion.

I know that's not what it's designed for but I just found it very uncomfortable:(

14. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I like the idea of the gun i really do the only thing i dont like is the stock. I dont like pkastic i know its lighter and cheaper but im not a fan of it. Ive held then and shot then i just havent bought one it is neat idea though

15. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

They feel extremely cheap to me. Only way I would buy one is with a gander mt lifetime warranty. I've hear people have problems with the threads on the receiver chipping. Not the most accurate gun but I'd rather have that under the seat when I need it then not at all. If I could find a decent marlin 39a I'd go that route instead.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cheap? HAH! Try one of these! Picked one up for grins and giggles- 22 LR- and it does not shoot bad. Garcia Bronco.

garcia bronco.jpg

17. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Lol, where is the rest of it?

18. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

Isn't that like a bicycle rifle? That's just cool.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I have PISTOLS that weigh more than this thing. It is a "turn barrel" action. Hold back the front trigger looking thing, and rotate the barrel, operate the extractor by hand.

And yes, it does look a lot like the old "bicycle" rifles. But ya know, at 25 yds it will smack a squirrel out of a tree.

20. gunright

gunright New Member

While it feels "cheap", Henry has done a good job in improving the design so that it works properly. Somewhere on the interwebs (YouTube ) there are videos showing torture tests with water, sand and other crap with the Henry version and it does well. I've run crap ammo (eg golden bullets) through it with no issues. Had a few issues with a batch of Federal, but only once.

As an aside, I have both the Henry and the Ruger 10/22 takedown. What's nice is that I can pack the Henry plus the Ruger in the Ruger's bag, along with extra mags and a supply of ammo.

I kind of a sucker for take-downs/ easy take aparts, such as these and my Browing Citori O/U. Any suggestions out there on other things that would be fun?