Henry survival rifle?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by cnorman18, Jul 31, 2007.

1. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

I'm considering purchasing a .22 Henry US Survival Rifle as an addition to my "urban survival kit". I understand that it's a vast improvement over the piece of junk formerly marketed by Charter Arms and even over the original Armalite version. Anyone have any experience with it?

2. Argus86

Argus86 New Member

I don't have personal experience with them, in fact I'm also considering buying one. From what I've read, however, the Henry version of the AR-7, which is what i believe you are talking about, is supposedly much more reliable and accurate than the previous models made under charter arms.

But, of course, you can't always trust what you read...

3. OntCanuck

OntCanuck New Member

More of the same

I just bought the Henry model but haven't been able to take it out and use it in real life situations much.

I bought it because it is good for what I needed. It's light and can store itself in the stock while floating in either mode. I wanted the gun for canoe trips in the backwoods. It's light weight, ability to float and to compact are useful in this regard. In more "public" or high trafic areas I can get it out of sight so others aren't nervous. It's built well enough that I can use it for grouse when in season.

I'm sure that you've read all the same things as me: known to jam but can be fixed with care. As with any gun the ability to make a gun light means certain parts aren't as strong as a heavier gun. Has no hardware for a sling although you can buy ones for it. Can buy after market stocks for it. Is said to be good up to 50 yds. The Israeli army used a modified version of the AR-7.

Most people who review it use it in the same capacity as me, a utility gun for camping and canoeing that can be put in a backpack and put together in 30 seconds.

4. logistics

logistics New Member

i owned one for about 5 years and its a good reliable rifle for its type, removable barrel survival style that is. its accuracy is accepatable that is, for surviving and supplying a staple of rabbit, squirrel and the like. just try different types and brands of ammo to determine the type it likes best, for the best accuracy. then buy a brick to keep vacuum sealed or i use a ziplock bag for the survival time. just my .02, good shootin and good huntin!!!!

5. Pounce

Pounce New Member

I got mine about when they first came out. Time flies but at least 7-8 yrs. More perhaps. All I can say is. I hope they are made better now. Mine would not feed properly and jam all the time. Played with the clips (a little bending here and there) and it helped a little. I haven't shot that thing in years.:( I beleive there are a couple others on the market.

6. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

Let me guess...

Was yours made by Charter Arms? Sounds like their work.

7. Pounce

Pounce New Member

I'll have to check it out.I don't remember and it's down in my safe. I did send it back to Henry way back when. I think it was up in NY State. I don't think they even took it out of the box. It still jammed and thats why I worked on it myself. I was peeved and disappointed.

8. plumber

plumber New Member

Charter Arms Explorer

I have had one for about 20 years now. I bought mine from a co-worker who was having a terrific gun sale and paid $20 for it. The sale was held two days before he was to present the divorce lawyers a list of his fireams. He said he would rather give them away than see her get half :)

I have never had a misfire with it and it is a tack driver out to about 40 yards, I never shot it beyond that. Loved the fact that I could stick it under my airplane seat as a just in case I needed it survival weapon. The hard part would be landing in the middle of the woods and still be in good enough shape to use it. Also took it on a lot of canoe trips.

My daughter has one too and kept in on her charter fishing boat in North Carolina. She switched to an AR-15 several years ago when the rumors of drug smugglers piracy where rampart. She figured that just the sight of her or her deck hand standing on the flying bridge with the M-16 look-a-like would be more of a reason to pick another boat. A good choice since she qualified expert with that weapon when she was in the Navy.

I keep it under the seat of my pickup now when driving around my property for groundhogs and mostly porcupines since porcupines and my dogs are not a good mix.

Know people who have the Henry version and it does seem to be a better firearm by reputation.

9. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

$20. Wow.

Reminds me of the famous story of the $5 Ferrari.

Thanks. I think I'll get one. (the Henry, not the Ferrari...)

10. Pounce

Pounce New Member

20 yrs. ago? Wow! I didn't think they were out that long. I guess mine was just a lemon.

11. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

AR-7 Henry

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Owned a few AR-7 types of Rifles over the years, Dad had an origional Armilight, wish I could have gotten that, year past the Charter came out, I bought a few of those and had a few feeding issues, by the end of Charters first company close, they were pretty good!

Then, cam the Survival arms version, very owned one, sold it for a fellow at a show, seemed a lot like the charter!

Now the HENRY, not wanting to rain on everyones parade but the henry has certain key issues with it! First of all, it has a platic barrel with a steel liner, works, but near as solid as the charter alloy construction! Then, the fact the new type of magazie and it's housing in the receiver, at least the two I tried would not accept older Charter mags and most especially thr 15 round hi cap I bought and paid good money for? Yes, it could have been modified, but should not have to have needed that to fit and feed? Next, Look at the stock assembly, all is well with that, the Cap is solid, many are too tight, but will loosen in time? The real problem is the Thickness of the "Slieve" that the barrel will slid into, it's paper thin and mine tore the second time I put the barrel in? I sent it back to henry and the second one was just as bad, it did feed well, shot well, but it just was flimsey in how the barrel was housed? I know thats not a major problem, but enough to say all is not well with the Hendy AR-7, that coupled with non sowpable mags from Hi cap and older Charter and Survival arms models, I'd say Look at a used Charter first?

12. bkt

bkt New Member

Yesterday was Buy A Gun day in response to Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson's anti-gun rallies and I panicked and bought a Henry Survival/AR-7. It'll be nice to have a .22 and not have to even think about the cost per round, and my son will enjoy the heck out of it.

Can anyone name some sites or sources for add-ons and accessories? I like the looks of this Israeli version:
    [​IMG]
    I don't care so much about the shortened barrel and modified front sight. It's the stock and pistol grip I like.

13. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

on this board

there was a guy on this board that was selling a folding stock and barrel shroud for an AR-7 awhile back. I was considering it myself till I decided to get serious and buy an AK.

14. bkt

bkt New Member

Just a quick update: I took my Henry/AR-7 to the range today. With Federal high-velocity jhp, there were no issues with jamming at all. I put about 60 rounds through it. Accuracy is pretty good using the (unadjusted) iron sights. 2" groups at 25 yards is pretty easy to get. The rear ring sight is enormous (IMO) and almost useless, so I'll be getting a red-dot sight or scope for it soon.

I'm pleased so far.

15. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

survival rifle

I owned one 20 plus years ago, I'm thinking it had a nylon barrel, forgive me if I am wrong that was alot of gun's ago, but I do remember the rifle and it worked well for what it was, it was no tack driver but would feed you at reasonable ranges around 50 yards I'd say, If you do not keep up on the cleaning they are a jamomatic waiting to happen, I can't remember if I bought that thing at Sears or at the local hardware but I do beleave the were around 69-79 Dollars, I seen one at Gander Mountain the other day for 179.00 the good old days are gone!!! thinking back on it 22 cal bullets were only .99 cents a box.

16. Martyg

Martyg New Member

Scope for henry survival rifle

Looking to purchase scope for henry survival rifle, anyone have a suggestion?

17. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Can't comment on the survival rifle but I can say from experience that the Henry rifles are very well built. And if you have any problems, the president of the company is just as likely to be who you speak to.

18. Missileman

Missileman New Member

This gun was used by George C Scott in the movie "Rage" in 1972, so it's been around at least that long (of course that was before Henry started making them). It became popular for awhile after that movie came out. If you haven't seen it, try and get a copy...

19. Joe

Joe New Member

Charter Arms version

I bought the Charter Arms version at JCPenneys in the late 70's for $75. Thats how long they been around. The problem I had with mind was the magizine would not stay seated in place causing misfeeds. Only kept it a year.

20. quez641

quez641 New Member

ar7"s

I have had one for over 30yr"s never had any trouble take care of your guns they will take care of you!!:D