Henry Lever Carbine

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by AleksiR, Feb 15, 2012.

1. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I've been looking at the Henry lever-action .22's and might be getting the Carbine model in the Summer. Would be using it for small game hunting and plinking. I know these have been discussed in the past and read a couple of threads, but I still got couple of questions. First, are the Henrys comfortably sized for an adult to shoot? I mean, they look kind small and slim. How's the accuracy on these rifles? I'm not expecting them to be precision rifles, but I'm really used to my CZ shooting one ragged hole at 50yds :eek: And last, could someone take a few measurements of the muzzle as I might get it threaded for a supressor. It would be a 1/2" - 20UNF thread, if that helps.

2. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I am 6' 2" and 225lbs. I find the Henry quite comfortable to shoot. It is a lever action, but still very accurate. It's not a CZ bolt gun....but I can hit beer cans at 40 yards with mine. BTW, mine has iron sights. I don't like scopes on lever guns.

3. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Good to hear, that's plenty accurate for my use. Not going to put a scope on it, but some may find the supressor a bit unorthodox on a lever gun :p

Would still like someone to measure the OD of the barrel to know if it's thick enough to be threaded. It should be atleast 1/2" to accommodate the thread.

4. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I just got a normal 22lr and the od of the barrel is 5/8 but I think the magazine tube is gona get in the way.

5. PX15

PX15 New Member

Hi Alek:

I mentioned on another thread that I just bought my first Henry.. I went to the gun store intending to buy the HT001, but saw the HT001Y (youth/ or trapper) model and liked it better so that's the one I bought. (My wife bought another w/consecutive serial number).

I'm only 5'9" (and getting shorter by the day, I'm 69), but the youth model fit me perfectly.. You might prefer the standard HT001, it's a bit longer..

Our Henry's shot perfectly right out of the box once we made windage adjustments to the rear sight (simply to do).. Action, extremely smooth, and more accuracy than I can take advantage of.

I'm a dedicated Marlin 39 lover, but I must admit this Henry (at about 1/2 the price) is a lot of gun for the money, and I love shooting it.

It's funny, but I kept reading where the "Henry's actions were smoother" than those of my beloved Marlin 39A's, and I assumed that was b/s from Henry owners..

Not so... The Henry is light years "smoother" than any of my 5 Marlin 39A's.

I didn't expect that.. :eek:

Get a Henry, I think you'll be more than pleased with it.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

6. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Yeah, I noticed that too looking at pictures of Henrys. I'll see if it's possible to cut down the magazine tube when I get the gun.

Thank you for the information Jesse. I was looking at the Marlin 39A also, but I think the price is simply too steep for what it is(they actually cost more than a basic Marlin 45-70 in Finland). From what I've seen and read so far, the Henry should be just the perfect gun for what I'm looking for.

7. PX15

PX15 New Member

8. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

You might also consider the H001L model Carbine, which has the same short barrel as the Youth model, along with the full-length stock of the standard model. It also has the large loop lever suitable for large hands, gloved hands, or general snazzy looks.

Youth 16.125" barrel.....13" LOP.....33" OAL.....4.5 lbs
    Carbine 16.125" barrel.....14" LOP.....34" OAL.....4.5 lbs
    Standard 18.25 Barrel.....14" LOP.....36.5 OAL.....5.25 lbs
    Octagon 20" Barrel.....14" LOP.....38.5 OAL.....6.25 lbs

9. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

That is the exact model I've been looking at, not the youth model. :)