Henry Lever action jamming

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by redscho, Jan 2, 2012.

1. redscho

redscho New Member

Has anyone had a problem with the Henry lever action Model H001 jamming if the lever is not worked fast enought. The nose of the round seems to pop up above the entrance to the barrel. Seems to happen with any brand of 22 LR standard Fedeeral to CCI Stingers, shorts on the otherhand feed normally.

Attached Files:

2. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Never had that issue with my Henry, no matter how fast I cycle it. Henry's have a ridiculously simple action, which is why they're usually so reliable. The cartridge is lifted by the lift gate only high enough for the the bolt to pick it up coming forward. And when operating properly, the cartridge should be laying flat in the action until the bolt pushes it forward into the feed ramp and then up into the breach. My first guess, and it's just that, a guess, is that their may be a catch or nick in the feed ramp. It's really soft metal and easily damaged. Or possibly some dirt, metal filing, etc. Some sort of obstruction that prevents the bullet from riding smoothly up the ramp and into the breach. If there is some sort of obstruction, the bullet could catch on it, causing the nose to pop up and stub against the top of the breach, as you are seeing. The only other thing I can think of is that something is obstructing the lifter as it rises. It's spring loaded and if it caught on something and then came free it would snap up rather than rising smoothly, which again could cause the bullet to pop up like that. Make sure the feed tube plunger isn't coming too far back into the action and catching the front of the lifter. It should stick out about a 1/4 of an inch into the action, but should stop short of the lifter. Again, all just guesses. Not much to go wrong with those things.

3. redscho

redscho New Member

Thanks, I think you nailed the problem. I have made arrangements to return it to Henry for fixing the problem. Still love that little rifle. I noted that in two of my friends Henrys that they don't have the problem.

4. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Never had a problem with my Golden Boy either, no matter how fast or slow you go with it.

5. redscho

redscho New Member

Good to know it is not a common problem. I'm sure Henry people will fix it. I really like this little rifle otherwise.

6. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Henry's customer service is awesome. They will make it right, and turn around will be quick. They are a lot of fun to shoot.

7. od green

od green New Member

I have 2 questions, Is the gun new and also if you short stroke the lever it could cause the problem. If it's new and you haven't shot it much it maybe needs more time to break in, with both mine the Hoo1 and Hoo1M we started out working the lever with a little more authority and things really smoothed out after a few hundred rounds. But if you have to send it back Henry will make it right, best customer svc in the biz. Hope this helped. Also check the tube plunger to make sure it's color is orange, I've heard of very rare occurrences but has happened you might have gotten one for the H0901M.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  8. redscho

redscho New Member

It bought it just before Thanksgiving, has no more than 50 rounds fired through it. Tube plunger is orange. Lever was not short stroked ever. If you don't operate the lever briskly that is when the trouble occurs. Stange that it loads 22 shorts without a problem. I have every confidence that Henry will make it right. They are sending me a prepaid UPS shipping label. Can't ask for better service than that.

9. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I would have waited until I'd passed the 500-round mark...lots of things need a little time to "wear-in"...
    much like car/motorcycle engines need the first few thousand miles to get working right.

Of course, for me, that's One Day at the range...I can crack thru 500-1000 rounds pretty easily :D

10. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

I bet, especially with that Calico in your pic. Saw one at a gun show the other day and wanted it so bad, but they wanted too much for it.

Henry lever action 22's shouldn't need a break in though. That action is just too simple and so reliable that if its not working, something is wrong.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy New Member

I am a henry collector I have all the goldenboys and big boys in boxes plus a few others that I shoot. Anthony will answer any questions and they stand behind their all AMERICAN guns. Never had to have a break in time on a gun. Send it back

12. redscho

redscho New Member

Sent it back on the 9th of January, they returned it on the 23rd of January. That is darn fast turnaround. The only problem is that they replaced the bolt and it still jams. After further examination and study by friends with Henrys we have come to the conclusion that the Carrier (part 08/09) and or the Carrier feed lever (part 11) are causing the problem. Have a note to Henry awaiting return authorization and UPS shipping label. I'm sure they can fix it, just a PITA having to return it the second time. You would have thought the service tech would at least have tried it operating the action slowly to see if problem was corrected. Stay tuned. :)

13. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Wow, I'm surprised. Henry is usually better than that.

14. redscho

redscho New Member

I havn't lost faith in them yet. I suspect that the tech either didn't get the full story or was in a hurry to complete the job and never checked by slowly operating the action to see if it functioned properly. Awaiting their reply.

Received reply this morning 1/24/12. It can't get any faster than that. They are sending UPS shipping lable and assure me problem will be fixed. They are living up to their reputation.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  15. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

January is probably the worst time to send a gun in for repairs. Most companies are scrambling to get key staff to the SHOT show, and they may blow through the backlog of repairs quicker than normal.

16. redscho

redscho New Member

I notified Henry on the 24th that the problem had not been resolved. I received a UPS Next Day Air shipping label from them this afternoon, the 26th. The rifle is now on the way back. They seem to be bending over backwards to take care of my problem. :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  17. redscho

redscho New Member

This morning I received a brand new Henry H001 to replace the one I thought was having loading problems. After some dialog with Henry Customer Service I may have been at least partly to blame for the problem. It only occurs when the action was operated very slowly. The replacement is far better in that regard but I can make it jam occasionally.

I would like to ask other Henry owners to see if they can duplicate what I found. With the Henry laying on its left side, very slowly operate the action - very slowly, and watch the round being entered into the breech. Sometimes the round seems to pop up and jam at the top. Note this doesn't happen every time and never happens if the action is operated normally.

Just an old engineer's curiosity.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  18. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

Why not just operate the rifle properly instead of conducting experiments designed to make it jam?

19. redscho

redscho New Member

Simply because I want to know all the limitations of any firearm I have before I have to find them out the hard way.

20. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I agree. Lever guns are not designed to be operated this way. A new rifle needs to wear in all its moving parts. Could just be that yours is new. I would run a brick through it, clean it, then check it. To really clean the action you'll need to remove the butt stock and receiver cover. Then you can really get to the bolt, etc.