Firearms Talk banner

Henry Big Boy

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Rex in OTZ 
#1 ·
I could use some input regarding the Henry Big Boy levers. I'm buying one in blue, .41 magnum. There's a choice of standard lever or a JW style lever. I was leaning towards the standard, seemed like a shorter throw. Any advantage to the larger loop? I won't be wearing gloves anytime soon. Just aesthetics?

#3 ·
Well, I can only speak about my particular experience a few years ago.
I was deciding on the Henry or the Marlin in 44 Mag.
I chose the Henry; it was nicer looking. But it wouldn't feed more than 2 or 3 rounds before jamming. I shipped it back to Henry for warranty repair. When I got it back, it was worse than before. Not only would it not feed, live rounds became jammed halfway between the magazine & chamber. It wasn't fun disassembling the rifle to get them out. Then the rear sight starting moving on its own. Henry shipped a replacement rifle to my FFL but by then, I'd had enough. I let the dealer keep the replacement rifle & bought a Marlin, which never gave me any problems.

#5 ·
I have a Big Boy 44mag and love it. If Im not mistaken Henry makes a lever that is bigger than the regular one but not as big as the one the Duke had. Not sure though. Im a big guy and havent had any issues with the regular lever. The only reason I would get the big one would be for looks. Mine is reliable and functions 100% and surprisingly very accurate. Ive let people at the range shoot it and it blows their minds that the recoil is so light. When I first shot it I thought the recoil would be more than it was too. Might take it deer hunting this season.

#11 ·
I am really glad to hear you have had a great experience with your Henry 44 Mag. I am going to purchase a Henry real soon. I am leaning toward the 44 Mag. What cartridge would you recommend for Deer and Pigs. I am reading certain 44 Mag. rounds do not fire well through the Henry rifle. I wish to avoid that issue.

#8 ·
Took the Henry .41mag to the range yesterday. What a sweet shootin’ rifle! Right out of the box with buckhorns, shooting very good groups at 50yrds. Not crazy about the loading tube, but very satisfied with capabilities. As far as the lever loop, my sausages are a tight fit, so I’ll go ahead and buy the bigger loop.

#14 ·
I think the ones people are having issues with are rounds loaded with heavy bullets. I think anything over 275gr is pushing it with a 1/38 twist. Ive shot 180gr 200gr 225gr and 240gr bullets without issue. I think any quality bullet in those bullet weights would do nicely to hunt with. I settled on Hornady Leverevolution 225gr as my hunting bullet. Didnt get to shoot a deer with it this year but there is always next year.
The .44 mag Henry bucks hard with 220s/225s wear padding for the shoulder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.