Firearms Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ardesa spain 50.cal rifle and I was wondering if anyone has any idea what all id need to shoot it as far as what powder and how much and primers? Any help would be great thanks

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Don't know the arm. Pics? Anyway...

Rule of thumb is up to twice the cal in grains of black powder is a healthy load. At 50 Cal. most will tell u FFg. 100 grains would be more than sufficient. You can load a little more and always less. You can also load FFFg, particularly in a shorter gun, but I'd never go over 100 grains with that. .50 cal. 50-grain "pellets" of blackpowder or powder substitute are commonly available (mostly used by hunters).

Probably uses #11 Percussion Caps. .490 lead balls and some thin lubed patches would probably be useful.

Fun and safe shooting!

·
Administrator
26,938 Posts
STEP AWAY FROM THE RIFLE.

You have some reading to do. I am assuming that you have a traditional style side hammer caplock rifle. HERE IS THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

http://ardesa.com/en/uploaded/MANUALES-DESPIECES/MANUAL RIFLES.pdf

Print it and read it- ALL of it.

Two general rules for muzzleloaders-

First, NEVER shoot anything but real actual true marked that way on the can BLACK powder- or a product made as a black powder substitute, such as Pyrodex. Yes, pellets are fine.

Second- NEVER attempt to fire a muzzleloader when the bullet is not all the way down the barrel on top of the powder charge. Having a gap between powder and ball will destroy rifle, and not make you look too pretty, either.

Read the manual, then come back to us with questions.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I ran my 50 cal with 90 grains of Pyrodex, a .490 ball and .015 patches. I'm thinking that rifle has a drum breech like the CVA's so it probably won't work well with pellets.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
I agree with Hawg, thats what I use in my .50 cap & balls, you can get every thing you need at Wall-Mart, at least I can at mine here...............

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awsome. You have all be very helpful this guns been sitting in the closet for 5 years since I got it and I have no clue when it comes to blackpowder guns so this helps alot. Thanks

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
May I suggest that if u waited five years u should wait a coupla weeks more and get a copy of NRA's blackpowder basics paperback?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Call Mom, and ask them what there Baby takes. They may have the info you need on there web site. I bet if you called Hodgdon Powder Co. (1-913-362-9455) Tell them what you have they can tell you what you need. Don't guess! Bad things can happen. Go to YouTube, and watch a few how two's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts