Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn between two very different rifles 25/06 or the 7mmmag I'm hunting deer out to 200 yards I'm I'm going nuts help

·
Registered
459 Posts
They both kill deer well IF hit in the vitals with a good bullet. If deer was MY goal I would choose the 25-06 as recoil, price per round, rifle weight are all less with the 25-06.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
25/06 would be my choice all day long over a 7mm Magnum,or go with a 7mm-08.
Either one will be an excellent deer killing tool,without the recoil of the Magnum round.

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
Txhillbilly said:
25/06 would be my choice all day long over a 7mm Magnum,or go with a 7mm-08.
Either one will be an excellent deer killing tool,without the recoil of the Magnum round.
shon0331 said:
25-06 all day. once you fire it you'll love it.
Agree whole heartedly w both these. I'm a 7 mag man myself but my 7 mag gets used for elk also.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will have to agree with the 25-06. A lighter rifle makes for easier carrying on a hunt. At the distances you are going to be shooting it will be a very straight shooting round. The lighter round will aid in shoulder pain after a day of fun at the range. Also, if you start reloading you can save on ammo for any of your weapons.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
If you are sure your not going to hunt over 200 yards no lets say 300 yards you don't need a cartidge that can very easliy shoot to 400 yards and beyound. Why not pick a 257roberts, 260rem, 7-08, or 308. Shorter , lighter no need of the 24" barrel. Do it with a short action 18 to 20" barreled rifle will be plenty with these cartidges.

I love my 7mm rem mag but for knowing I will hunt short I will take my old 308 every time.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
I would be inclined to go with the old tried & true .308 Winchester myself...................

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Out to a whole whopping 200 yards eh? Hmmm...
How in the world did you get to the point of choosing between these two chamberings!?

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
HockaLouis said:
Out to a whole whopping 200 yards eh? Hmmm...
How in the world did you get to the point of choosing between these two chamberings!?
What's wrong w/ 200 yards? Most hunting, man or animal, happens right around that distance.

I would probably go w/ .308. Cheap and easy to find.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
What's wrong w/ 200 yards? Most hunting, man or animal, happens right around that distance.

I would probably go w/ .308. Cheap and easy to find.
That's sorta the point Mike. At that range which is the larger population: calibers that would or would not be useful?

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
Out of the 2 choices I would pick the 25-06. Why those 2 choices? I have to agree the 308 would be a better choice. Cheaper ammo, better bullet selection, easy on barrels and a short action.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts