Help

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by apowers1214, Feb 26, 2012.

1. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

Have a taurus .38 super I just got. I think I want to convert it to a 9mm version thoughts or ideas?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Why? .38 Super is readily available, is more potent than the 9mm, holds just as many rounds.

If this is the one you bought with gold on it, and you are making changes already, then why did you buy it?

3. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

It was a gift to me. My super will only really be used for competitions. Maybe it just needs more rounds through it.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Lemme see-
    Barrel
    Bushing
    Extractor & ejector (I think - These two mite work for both)
    I know the double stack Para mags were 9mm/38 super but dont know about others, wondered myself -

5. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

Thanks Hossfly!

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No problem-
    I've entertained the idea of gathering the parts to change my 9mm to 38 super :cool:
    Love the 38 Super--

7. danf_fl

I just happen to have a .38 Super slide fitted with a 9mm barrel and bushing.
    It is an "old school" slide with the S&W adjustable rear sight.

Haven't had the time to try it on my RIA .38Super.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Dang, getting more interested in the 38 super thing now :eek:
    I've got a RIA Tactical 9mm & well--- I gets bored :rolleyes:
    Be like having a new gun :D

9. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

After shooting it again today I have decided I am a jackass. I love this freaking this just needs to be broken in. A gunsmith here in Ohio locally told me it is gonna be expensive to do the conversion. Looks like I am buying the dyes for the .38 super reload.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Good choice BUT your gunsmith is wrong-----

11. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

I knew I would need new mags potentially and new spring possible ejector and barrel and bushing. He mentioned having to machine fit it to my slide which he said isn't cheap.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, hes not WRONG so to speak - The barrel fitting thing IS a possibity -
    I've been thinking the two calibers are close enuff it wud be close to a "drop in" as far as barrel & bushing is concerned - Of course we ARE talking about a 1911 :rolleyes: :D

13. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

This is one of those times when taking it to someone who is Qualified and has a stellar reputation is a must. Because if you send it to a goonsmith and I say goonsmith you could end up with more problems then when you started.

14. danf_fl

The .38 Super slide and the 9mm slide use the same breech face, ejector, extractor. The mags for the .38 Super will work with the 9mm (but the correct ones are better).
    There are "drop in" barrels, but don't expect great accuracy.'

Shoot the snot out of it and see how things go with the .38 Super. With reloading, bullet weights and power factors can be adjusted to the "sweet" spot.

15. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

Thanks Dan. I have decided to just love my new pistol and work through my worries that I feel are all in my head.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I held off weighing in on this thread fearing another backlash like my Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak thread generated.

apowers1214, I'm glad I did hold off and I must tell you your decision is exactly what I wanted you to do when your thread first appeared!

What I wanted to post was;
    "For Christ's sake it's a gift! Don't embarrass yourself and insult the giver by changing it before the gun gets it's first copper deposit. Shoot the snot out of it. Hell you may even find out you like the gun as the engineers designed it."

You guy's done good talking the jumper down. It's great to associate with like-mind people.

I love this forum! [​IMG]

17. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

Canebrake I really appreciate everyone's help. I know I seemed like a new ahole. But I really wanted a .38 super and just thought it would be different. After much research with more rounds I found out I really love this gift. It is fun and helps me work on things I need to change. I first thought people were crushing me because my inexperience, but now see the guidance I needed came through. Thank you all. Hossfly and Canebrake if we ever meet first round is on me.