Help!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by suprmnfrk, Jan 13, 2012.

1. suprmnfrk

suprmnfrk New Member

Have a k98 8mm Mauser I bought and installed it into a new ATI stock and when I went to fire it today it didn't. I tried with 3 sufferer bullets out of the same box. Same thing. The firing pin seems to hit the primer but it's not hitting it hard enough or the bullets are bad. I'm gonna pick up a new box of bullets tomorrow cause this box has been in my truck for 6 months but what else might it be? I took the bolt apart and cleaned it but looked good. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't know much about the mauser, but on the mosin the firing pin protrusion is adjustable. You might check into that since you took the bolt apart.

3. suprmnfrk

suprmnfrk New Member

I'll have to research how to check/adjust that. Thanks for the info.

4. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Pictures of Ctg's would help

what does the firing pin impression look like?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Your Rifle is revolting! It hates the ATI stock and wants its' wood back!;)
    Seriously, when you screw the collar in, do you screw it is all the way?
    Next is when you took the pin out, did you use a soft surface such as a piece of pine? I've been shooting Mausers for many years. Ammo in a truck should not be an issue. Mausers are very simple.

6. jpattersonnh

Wrong Caliber!!;)
    BTW, Never chamber a round like the one on the right!
    [​IMG]

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Yep... its tellin, you something.... :p (Really I dont know anything about Mausers..... Yet... )

8. suprmnfrk

suprmnfrk New Member

First pic second round.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Light strike, firing pin protrusion (lack of it) or worn out pin. Look and see if it has any sharp edges where it may have broken off and make sure none of the primers are ruptured. If your good on both of those, I'd place money on protrusion.

10. jpattersonnh

A few questions. Is the Shroud, collar screwed all the way in. If you are 1 turn off it will give light strikes. Is the pin installed correctly?

Here is a walk through for K98's
    K98k Mauser Page

11. suprmnfrk

suprmnfrk New Member

ok here are some pictures i took of the bolt and bullet.

Attached Files:

12. suprmnfrk

suprmnfrk New Member

See anything wrong from my pictures.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's a light strike for sure, and the pin looks fine to me. Its likely not protruding enough.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Definitely looks like a light strike to me.

15. suprmnfrk

suprmnfrk New Member

also noticed that it wont allow me to put the safty all the way to the right. allows me to put it up to take it apart, but not to the right. what would cause that?
    thanks

16. jpattersonnh

Since you can't move the safety to the right, you need to remove the pin from the sleeve and take it apart, removing the safety. Then re-assemble. Sometimes when people try to modify a bolt (since yours is jeweled, that was done) they replace parts or re-assemble incorrectly. Try breaking it down and putting it back together. If that fails, this would be a simple solution. Get the correct bolt and have no questions.
    M98 Mauser Bolt complete turndown handle

If you have calipers, measure the pin and post how long it is.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  17. suprmnfrk

suprmnfrk New Member

ah crap. ok its the bolt. more of the bolt handle. i just noticed that the handle is hitting the stock and not allowing the bolt to rotate all the way. they make a handle kit for the ones that are wrong. i cause ill get that ordered.
    Thanks for the help guys!

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Just inlet the stock a little. Use something round about the same diameter as the handle, wrap it in sand paper, chew it down a little at a time until the bolt handle goes down all the way.

But before doing that, make sure it's installed into the stock correctly.

19. suprmnfrk

suprmnfrk New Member

the wall where the bolt handle meets the stock is really thin as it is, so i was thinking bout shaving some of the back side of the bolt handle off. think that will work?

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Shave wood. It's much easier to replace if you screw it up.