Help

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Lupo, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Lupo

Lupo New Member

I have a Hawken rifle. Like the one from Jerimiah Johnson. The barrel was rusted. So i stripped the rust off and the barrel is now shiny. I bought some birchwood casey plum brown to put on it, to restore it to its originally beauty. To do this though, the barrel needs to be heated to 275 degrees. A torch would leave residue, and my oven is not big enough. Any other suggestions on how to heat this barrel up?

Thank you

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

You wouldn't by any chance have a friend or neighbor with a bigger oven would you? That could lead to a very interesting and humorous conversation "hey, can I put my gun in your oven?"

You can try building one out of brick and mortar, like a backyard barbeque.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

dig a pit and line it with coals!

4. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

You might see if there is a powder coat business close by...just a suggestion.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A propane torch should not leave any residue. Or if you have a gas range use the top burners to heat the barrel(have to keep the barrel moving to get it fairly even temp). Use your gas BBQ to heat it. If your secret location is Arizona, in the summer you could just set it in the sun;) I have used that in the past and I doubt if I had the metal a perfect 275 degrees.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Get a length of iron pipe that will fit the barrel inside the pipe. Use a heat gun, direct heat into one end of the pipe and out the other. Monitor temp and turn off heat gun when it gets too hot.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Lupo,

Use caution not to overheat it! It will take the temper out of the barrel which could cause it to rupture when fired. I am sure you will get some good response out of your thread. You might also post it in the Gunsmith section of the Forum in case one of the smiths did not see your request on the regular forums. Sorry but I did not pay attention to the section you initially posted the thread in. You may have posted it in the Gunsmith section but did not want to re-due this message.