Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my great grandfathers Type 38 he brought back from World War II, I know it’s a Type 38 because of the type of stock and receiver it has. However the bolt is not designed like a regular Type 38 should be. The regular bolt has a really long extractor on the right side that runs along the whole length of the ejection port, but this ones bolt is designed similarly to a Mauser’s bolt with a sold piece on the right to act as a locking lug but the lug does not run along the whole side of the receiver when the bolt is closed and leaves a little bit of space between the receiver and the lug.

Essentially what I’d like to know is why this rifle is designed this way? And is it safe to shoot?

Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Gun accessory Shotgun

Brown Wood Trunk Floor Flooring

Wood Font Tints and shades Cylinder Metal
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Finger Wood

Hand Eyebrow Human body Wood Finger

Hand Wood Finger Thumb Flooring

Hand Stonemason's hammer Hand tool Finger Tool

Hand Wood Revolver Hand tool Tool

Hand Gesture Automotive tire Finger Thumb
Hand Finger Reflex camera Nail Digital camera

·
Administrator
26,666 Posts
Make NO claim of expertise on the Japanese rifles- but one think I note that is different- where is the Mum?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My type 38 is very similar to this one except the extractor is very different and there are two straight slits going down the barrel to act as rifling. It’s also pretty heavy, much heavier than the one in this video. Do you think mine will be safe to shoot since it actually has some type of rifling and the bolt is different?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
My type 38 is very similar to this one except the extractor is very different and there are two straight slits going down the barrel to act as rifling. It’s also pretty heavy, much heavier than the one in this video. Do you think mine will be safe to shoot since it actually has some type of rifling and the bolt is different?

Pics?

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
You need to post some pics of it. Especially all on side of receiver and on top of receiver before anyone can comment on it.

Now, about those slits!!! That is not at all normal. Barrels should be rifled! Possibly slits were put there to deactivate that rifle or render it useless. Some thing not right about it in my mind.

I doubt either is safe to ever fire.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can get some more pics soon. However I was talking to my uncle and he said that he put about 5 rounds through it with no problems but he said that the bullet tumbled through the air

·
Administrator
26,666 Posts
The Arisaka was reportedly the STRONGEST action of any bolt action ever made- which allowed people to do really dumb things and live. Like fire the wrong caliber cartridge. Does not mean you can do it forever without consequences.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe he put the right cartridge through the rifle, since it’s a 38 it should be chambered in 6.5 Jap which I know he shot through it.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
I can get some more pics soon. However I was talking to my uncle and he said that he put about 5 rounds through it with no problems but he said that the bullet tumbled through the air
You are talking now about your rifle with the slits inside the barrel I will guess. If so, yes, those bullets will never stabilize. I would never assume it is safe either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok and was this rifle intended to shoot blanks then? It seems odd that a rifle may not be safe and can chamber full sized cartridges

·
Administrator
26,666 Posts
As the good folks here have said- STOP. I just went and dug out the type 38 I have at the very back of the safe, waiting for restoration. The type 38 has 2 locking lugs at the very front of the bolt, that cam into the lug recesses at the back of the chamber. Yours has no lugs, no recesses. Bolt is held ONLY by that single rib riding against the shoulder of the action.

Blow up the picture, take a HARD look at the bolt. Yours SHOULD look like that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that sucks that it might not be safe to fire, because this thing is in great condition and I was really looking forward to shooting it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts