Help with the Wife!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dub1686, Jul 17, 2010.

1. dub1686

dub1686 New Member

Can you guys help me convince the wife into letting me buy a new shotgun for home defense? I have a Sig by the bed and a couple of hunting long guns. She thinks this is good enough and I do not need a short barreled shotgun. Do you guys have any articles/ youtube videos/ good argument for buying more guns. With this one I need black and white proof, not my opinion. I know some of you guys have a arsenal packed into your house. How do you get the wife on the same page? Thanks!

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You can google home defense guns all day long and see articles where a shotgun makes good sense. Many point to the idea that they don't go through walls as easy as many pistol rounds and most rifle rounds can. And the shorter barrel makes perfect sense for trying to navigate tihgter spaces where a rifle or hunting shotgun can cause a lack of mobility.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Have kids? Explain to her that shot gun pellets will not go through the walls like a handgun or rifle round can. Hunting rifles are not good HD guns (except as a last resort). Barrel is usually too long for moving through the house and a 2000+ fps round in your house is not a good thing, even when shooting at a bad guy.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

True that!!

I have seen a 9mm round go through two apartments walls before it stopped. And they are not near a hunting rifle's speed.

5. dub1686

dub1686 New Member

I have no kids yet. This is good stuff! Keep it coming. How do you guys justify buying guns to your spouses?

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

My wife used to have this thing about me only having two hands so why did I need more than two guns. But that was more to bust my hump than anything. I take her shooting sometimes and she likes it pretty well. She's a heck of a shot too. Though she point shoots and don't like using sights or optics. It works for her though so I guess if it aint broke...

Have you tried a little range time with the Mrs? It's worked with many a wife that didn't fully support a guys firearm addiction.:)

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Be careful with that strategy, Scubie and Shihan have both lost guns to the Mrs. :eek:

8. dub1686

dub1686 New Member

Thats a good idea. I still have not been to the range with her.

What do you mean lost?

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

As in...oh I really like this, I'm keeping this gun for myself.

10. dub1686

dub1686 New Member

Only if I can buy another!

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

HAHAHHAAAAA!!

Yeah, I have a couple here that are not mine anymore. :(

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

First, a shotgun is best for the first line of home defense for all the reasons stated here. Another reason is the price. You can get a good pump shotty for alot less than any Sig or highpowered rifle. I am confident you have not taken her shooting much, but if you have and she does not like it she is either lying or she just does not like it. If he latter is true, you are screwed unless you take the line of protection of her. You love her so much, you want to make sure you have the best opportunity for you and her to take down a bad guy in the house should you ever be in that situation. You even care enough about your neighbors and staying out of jail so you can be there for her.

Wait, how short of barrel are you talking?

13. dub1686

dub1686 New Member

18in barrel/ 27ish total. 870 Remington.

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You might want to talk to local LEO and see if there are any restrictions when it comes to barrel length. Just because you can get a barrel does not mean it's OK to have it in your area. And it be really crappy to get into a boat load of trouble over an inch or two.

15. dub1686

dub1686 New Member

Copy. If they sell it in the gun shop, will it most likely be local legal?

16. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Convince her.:eek: Are you not the King of your Castle, the Master of your Domain, just buy it and tell her to get in the kitchen and cook your dinner.
    What is wrong with all these submissive men? If you want a shotty, go and get it. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.:D

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well it should be. But if it was me I'd make sure before I bought it. A quick stop by a local police station or a fast phone call would do wonders to keep my mind at ease.

18. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Amen, brother. My wife asked me for a new watch. I told her the stove already had a clock on it.

19. dub1686

dub1686 New Member

I am trying to stay married!

20. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Dub,

Don’t worry about staying married... if she says anything just do what I do and tell her that if you wanted her opinion you would tell her what it was. :cool:

Honestly, take her to the range and get one of the instructors to give her an intro lesson. I say to get an instructor as I have seen husbands and wives get in arguments on the range as most husbands aren’t instructors and lose patience with the wife and that’s the last thing you want to do. If she ask why you can’t teach her be honest and tell her you want her to learn the right and safe way to make it fun and not stressful. Believe me when you emphasize that you want to keep her safe and taught right she will be much more willing and acceptable that shooting is something you both can do and not just something you are doing and your just “showing it” to her. Remember to give positive reinforcement like “great shot honey” or “you have a great stance” she will appreciate that also that your paying attention to her.

I’m lucky as my wife is a cop so she is pretty much into guns (a lot of them were mine at one time) and loves to shoot. She also loves to buy me new guns of my own.

AND NO she doesn’t have a sister that is available and YES we have a strong marriage. :D