Help with the right kind of rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by msjacks13, Nov 7, 2010.

1. msjacks13

msjacks13 New Member

Heya i am having a little trouble with finding what i want. What i am looking for is something for both target practice (to get back used to shooting), and hunting. I live in south Texas and will be hunting deer, hogs, turkey & maybe some elk (i got some family that live in Washington St. that want me to come up and hunt with them). I have a few years of past experience with rifles but not a lot so i want something cheap to relearn with. I was looking at something i dont have to reload after every shot fired and something with really good accuracy from 600-900 meters out and not whole lot of kick back. afew of my friends have recomended 30/06 or a 308 any suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Jay

Jay New Member

Welcome to the forum....

At the ranges you specified, the 30-06, and .308 are both good choices.

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Can't go wrong with a 30-06 especially a hand loaded one.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

When you say "reload" do you mean cycle the bolt or load a round into the rifle? Not sure if you are talking about a Semi auto or what. 600..900 Meters is a long way for hunting!! 900 meters is about 984 yards. In that case there is no hunting rifle that will have light recoil to meet your criteria. If you want a hunting rig that can reach 600 meters(664 yards) for target, your second issue is a scope that will work for close up hunting and long range target. A hunting scope that only shows a blob of fur at 100 yards is pretty useless. Seems you want it all in one rifle. Not very practical. A good Heavy barrel .308 or .30-06 will shoot well for targets at 700+ yards, but is heavy to be humping around while hunting. Likewise a good hunting rifle in the same calibers will be easier to carry, but not great at real long distance. My hunting Rifles weigh an average of 7 to 9 pounds, with optics. My distance guns, 12+ pounds.
    You will be spending some big money, so cheap is out!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Seem to remember an old bit of advice from down on the border-

"There's not many problems
    that a man can't fix-
    With seven hundred dollars
    and a thrity ought six."

The Ultra long range target rifle and the hunting rifle are rarely the same gun. A Browning BAR is 300 Win Mag, 30-06, or .308 would make a good hunting semi auto, with enough authority for elk- but I really feel that ethical big game hunting stops at about 300 yards. I do predator and varmint shooting at longer ranges- but that is really not hunting. In the field, you will probably not have a shooting bench to work from.

If you are looking for a good bolt action, above calibers, and add .270 and 7mm mag in there. And Savage is making a VERY nice bolt gun for the price. But you can ask 6 folks here, and get at least 7 answers!

Nice thing about the .308/ 30-06 round- I can walk into just about anyplace that sells ammo is the US, and grab a box. Same is not true of the .333 Hickenlooper Squirrel Thrasher. Even if it IS a better cartridge.

PS- all other things being equal, a semi has less recoil than a bolt gun, and Limbsaver makes GREAT recoil pads. Spend more on the scope than you think you should. You can thank me later.

6. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

It appears that you want:

1. Inexpensive. What's that to you? $500? $5000? Total or just the rifle?
    2. Semi Auto? Or will a bolt action do? Lots more choices in bolt guns.
    3. Light enough to carry hunting.
    4. Enough power for Elk.
    5. "Really good accuracy from 600m-900m" Define really good?
    6. Low recoil.

Not sure that rifle exists. A good compromise would be a bolt action
    308 or 30-06 with a 2-7 variable scope. Might go a bit higher magnification,
    but you mentioned hogs and they are frequently close range. You also mentioned turkey---can you legally shoot them with a centerfire rifle?

Go for a total package in the 9-10 lb range. Light enough to pack for a while,
    heavy enough to mitigate some of the recoil. A good recoil pad and maybe
    a muzzle brake will also help with the recoil.

7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Oh man gots to gets me one of them.:D

8. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

msjacks13, your criteria for a rifle is interesting to say the least. Get a Browning Bar in 30-06 and then an assortment of various grain bullets to suit what you are hunting.