Help with staying concealed!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by sparky80, Dec 30, 2012.

1. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Hi guys. I have a few carry guns and usually carry IWB. I am around 6'2" and 180lbs. I have a long torso and constantly when standing up and getting out of the car or truck my shirt gets caught on the handle of my gun and sometimes shows. Also sometimes when knealing down. I buy my t shirts in talls when available and that helps some but, anyone have any other tips for me? Thanks in advance.

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'm in same boat. 6'1" and 175lb, I can't carry tucked in waist, I don't understand how people do it. It never stays, always wants to pop out. I do pocket carry.

3. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I sometimes pocket carry a LCP but, I don't care for pocket carry for multiple reasons. And also prefer to carry 9mm and up.

4. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

What do you pocket carry?

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Star Firestar M43:

- Overall length ~ 6.5"
    - Barrel length ~ 3.4"
    - Overall height ~ 4.61"
    - Maximum width ~ 1.1"
    - Unloaded weight ~ 30oz

Is a big boy. Looking to downsize to a Sig P938 tax return time.

I might try waist again with this smaller Sig. Probably not tho, way too uncomfortable a place to put anything larger than a pocket Knife.

6. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I guess that my shortness helps me out. I am 5'9" 230lbs and I mostly carry IWB. I carry a Sig Scorpion 1911 and normally do not have that issue. A good IWB holster may help you out.

7. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Thats pretty big for pocket carry.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not a large man by any standards, and I have no trouble keeping my 1911 concealed at 3:30 in a good IWB leather holster, wearing a one size too large tee shirt. Dark shirts work better than light colored shirts.

I have tried using a small patch of velcro to tack shirt to the pants, but the velcro lints up too bad in the laundry. I have gotten in the habit of, when leaving the car, checking my cover, while I am concealed by the open door. So far I have managed to avoid raising eyebrows.

Even when I walked 25 feet into Walmart with my shirt on top of the butt of the gun, I don't think anyone noticed, and I live where open carry is not permitted. That was a YIKES moment, and a learning experience. :)

9. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Which holster are you using? I've been looking for a good one for my Scorpion.

Thanks!

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Op

I would suggest trying a belly band holster for there "tuckability", buy longer tee shirts, and tuck them in over the gun. This prevents the but from getting exposed and created a "balloon effect" at the waistline which obscures the gun.

I've personally been carrying a gun every day for 17 years and discovered the BB 5 hears ago. I'm not large, 70" and 190, and this method combined with my Kahr PM 9 provides complete concealment and quick access under the lightest of shirts.

They allow limitless flexibility for "gun location" because it's strapped around your hips...not to your pants. Just stap the whole rig around your hip on to of your skivvies, pull up pants, tuck your shirt, belt up your drawers are your good to go. A quick rip at your **** tail and your gun is right where you left it...works tucked or untucked as well.

...oh, and it also eliminates the need to handle your gun in public rest rooms should nature call for a class 2 download...just tug the whole rig up a bit and take care of business while your EDC stays securely strapped to you. No more wondering where to balance your gun to keep it from skidding across the tile floor. :)

15 to 20 bucks to boot. Good luck

Tack

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Depends on the pockets. My one pair of Ralph Lauren Polo signature jeans, yes it is, my several pair of Levi 505s, nope, fits easy, draws smooth, and because of the straight leg fit and high quality stitching there's more than enough support for it.

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

Bigrock44 is right, a quality IWB makes a world of difference! I carry a G19 IWB strong side at about 4:00. I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special II holster. It's reinforced at the top so it won't close when you draw, rough leather on the outside so it doesn't shift, and has two one way snaps to secure it to your belt. I can get away with shorts and a tee using this rig. Downsides- they are really expensive($150 range) and hard to get. Milt only has 5 employees and doesn't produce much product. What he does produce is top notch. I've also heard good things about Galco and Crossbreed.

13. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

My IWB leather holster is very comfortable and holds the weapon great. I'm carrying a full size Beretta .40 S&W.

I'm also tall, 6 1/2 feet tall, tippin in at about 225lbs. This year I asked for shirts from the big/tall store, because after about a year of normal wear and trips through the washing machine, XL t-shirts begin to look like belly shirts on me, if I raise my arms to shoulder level or above, suddenly my belly button is showing!

I can conceal ok as long as I keep my arms down, but my mobility is severely limited or I risk showing.

with the shirts I got for Christmas, they hang down a solid 8" below my belt line on my pants. PERFECT! they fit my shoulders without looking like I'm wearing a Mu-mu, and they have the length to not show my belly all the time. My holster allows me to tuck, and I was wearing tucked in yesterday, the shirt was long enough that I could "blouse" the shirt out some, and it was still tucked in. by pulling some of the shirt out, it allowed it to hang down over my belt line a little, and completely hid the clips that were holding my holster to my belt. 100% concealability!

Try looking into longer shirts and a real holster

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I buy my shirts at the big and tall store. I am a little over 6' 2" and 220 lbs. I carry mostly outside the waiseband. But inside once in a while inside. Dont buy shirts at Walmart. They are shorter. I bought a camo t shirt from cabelas for hunting. I saw one later that day at walmart. Same brand, same size. Half the price. I almost bought it at walmart to return the one from cabelas. But then I held it up to myself and saw that it was shorter...a lot shorter. Again, same size and same brand.

15. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

Whenever I'm doing an action that might cause my shirt to ride up I make a conscious effort to avoid that action or just make sure I pull my shirt down. When getting out of the driver side of a vehicle keep ur side out of sight while u tug ur shirt back down. Passenger aide, turn and face the rear of the vehicle, repeat process. Looks natural. If u want to sell the acting job scratch ur balls too and hitch ur pants up.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not as big as some of you but I have found a 4 o'clock carry with the butt forward does not print nearly as bad especially when you bend over. Also easier to draw in a car. Takes some training for the draw so you dont cross your body but works better than the normal draw once you get used to it. I use a left hand IWB with no cant on my right side. Buy a cheap Uncle Mike's holster to try it then get a good one if you like it. Practice the draw unloaded until you can do it automatically without crossing your body. In any draw keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

An earlier poster is sold on the belly band. I liked the idea and I tried one, and it just plain doesn't work for a large frame automatic for me. One issue I have is the difficulty of reholstering. The good thing about the belly band is that they are inexpensive enough to try it without breaking the bank.

I have carried the full size 1911 in a Winthrop IWB, for the last five years, it is a fine holster at a reasonable price. One key item in carrying IWB is that you need a GOOD belt. "Good" being stiff, and as wide as your clothing willl allow. You can not find a good belt at a department store or a Walmart. I was able to find what I needed at at police supply store at a reasonable price.

You can get well outfitted for IWB for as little as $120.00, including a belt, if you shop hard. Good rigs last a long time, and the comfort and safety is worth the money.

18. 1911love

1911love New Member

Good point about the belt Chain. Country western/boot stores are a good place to find good belts too.

19. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I have a few great holsters I use, it's more the clothing hanging up on the grip of my gun. Anyone tuck in a under shirt to help hide it?

20. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

The label on the Walmart shirt said it was the same brand and size. But remember where they get almost everything from (hint: China). The factory that makes all those labels is also in China. They can put any label they want to on any product they want to, Walmart could care less.:mad::mad::mad: