Help with raising my red dotp scope

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dborns, Sep 13, 2011.

1. dborns

dborns New Member

When I posted my AR build, I had a few items that people pointed out that were incorrect. One was how my scope was mounted to low. I didn't notice it, but in this pic you can tell its pointing about halfway down the front sight.
    [​IMG]
    I took a look at it today, and the scope itself has no adjustments on it to raise it. Is there some sort of adapter that I need to get that goes in between the rail and the scope, or am I going to have to change the front sight? I do have some MBUIS coming in the mail, but would also like to still use this red dot. More pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Supposed to read "dot" in the title....

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. dborns

dborns New Member

I just noticed that I deleted the pics in photobucket, so they are gone here. Anyway, without the pics, can someone tell me if there is a way to raise a red dot scope? Mine is to low and pointing to the middle of the front sight. The bottom of the scope is not adjustable.

3. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

you probably need a new mount.

4. dborns

dborns New Member

Yeah, I know I need a different setup, but is there some sort of extension I can buy that is adjustable vertically so that this thing is correct? Here is a pic I found of the setup, and as you can see it doesn't have any adjustability. Something that connects to the top rail and the scope?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

6. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Exactly what JTJ said. Either but a riser, or a new mount that co-witnesses on ARs

7. NOVA

NOVA New Member

8. dborns

dborns New Member

I googled scope risers, and took a look at JTJ's link. I looked at a few different examples, and don't see a measurement on the height of these. Are their different sizes, or are all heights for the risers/ scopes/ front sights the same? As in, could different scopes, need different size risers to line up with the front sight? I could run home in the morning and get my AR and take it with me to the GS, but it would be easier not to do that as BPS is close to work.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

If the primary role is reddot scope ditch the front sight post go with a buis system and the dot setup you got now will work fine

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

As low as that thing is sitting it looks like a BUIS would get in the way as well.

There are ways to get the optic higher but they look stupid. I tried it a while back and ended up wasting money.

I would almost suggest going w/ a primary arms micro dot and mount or a H1 w/ ADM or Larue mount.

11. dborns

dborns New Member

I have a set of BUIS coming tomorrow. My plan was to use the rear BUIS, the current front sight, and buy a riser for the scope. Since I don't have any idea what I'm talking about, I maybe making more work for myself than necessary.
    Jon, if I go by what you are saying, I could use both BUIS, scope as it is, and ditch the current front sight. Would I want to replace the front sight with a mount for the BUIS, or does that go on the end of the upper? Two sights, and a scope seem like alot on the upper, but is that how most people do it?
    How hard is it to remove that front sight?
    Thanks!

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

as AR go its medium difficulty but doesnt take long. you would need a gas block with rail to mount a buis front sight. if you got lucky and accidently ordered a rear that co-witnesses with the reddot your in luck you can use both at the same time. you would just need a matching front.

brownells has vids on how to diy a gas block swap.

13. dborns

dborns New Member

Hey Jon- I was looking at Brownells site last night, and found the videos that you are talking about. There is a lot of good info, and changing the gas block looks pretty easy. He really recommends using the gas block tool, but I really don't want to spend $40 on a tool that I'll probably use once or twice. On the other hand, I don't want to damage the gun either, so I'll play with it today. I may run up to the GS today, and see if they have tools for sale. I need the wrench for the stock also.
    Thanks for the info.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Good luck!!