Help with problem with Savage model 25!!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lonyaeger, Oct 27, 2010.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I have a new Savage model 25 lightweight varmint chambered in .223.

After mounting the scope last night and swabbing out the bore getting it ready for the range, I routinely loaded one of my handloaded cartridges into the magazine to check for fit. It fit the magazine, but I couldn't close the bolt.

Tried a factory cartridge....same thing. Tried an empty case. Got it in, but with too much effort.

Called Savage and they asked about the scope base. I told them I used the ones that came with the rifle and used 15 inch-pounds of torque on the screws. They said to back out the screws, maybe they're seated too deep. I did that, and still can't close the bolt.

Now if I push on the back of the bolt with a cartridge seated as far as I can get it, I get a solid click and the bolt pushes a little forward and I am finally able to close the bolt.

Called Savage back and they said to either send them back the rifle or take it to a local smith and have him call them so they can authorize the repair.

Either of those options will take a long time, and there is no guarantee a smith can fix it if it's a headspace problem. That means now for sure I have to send it back to Savage and even more time out of my hands!

Anybody have any ideas? Do I have a right to be pissed?

2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Maybe an extractor problem?

If it's new, I would send it back and let the factory take care of it no matter how long it takes. But that's just me.

Are you feeding a single round into the chamber, or are you feeding the round from the magazine?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Once I get a cartridge seated and the bolt closed, it extracts fine...........?

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Send it back for their inspection and service Lon. It's a new rifle, do it right. In the interim, go shoot some of your other stuff to soothe the pain. ;)

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Oh, alright....(gratuitous snotkid photo).

[​IMG]

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Both.....!

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

WAIT

Take a cartridge and smoke it (NOT THAT WAY)(Light a match and let the soot build up on the bullet neck and shoulder. Now being careful load the round and get it to go as far as you can. Now extract it and see what the case bullet and shoulder look like.

If all the black is rubbed off the shoulder then you have a really tight chamber. If you see marks on the bullet then you need to seat the bullet deeper.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Reason for extractor question- if not slipping over the head to grip the groove on the cartridge, would prevent bolt from going into battery. Might want to check that extractor is free to move. Me- would send it back most ricky tick.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

So what is the fix for a really tight chamber?

The only thing about seating the bullet deeper is that it was the same problem with good ole' factory Hornady V-Max!

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Thanks, I already have it boxed up ready to go, so your extractor thought is going to be bugging the crap out of me the whole time the rifle is gone.

BUT....the extractor DID grab and extract every time I got a case or a cartridge fully chambered. If I was able to do that, wouldn't it indicate that the extractor is okay?

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

No it's possible the extractor is either malformed or it's not moving with enough travel to allow it to slip over the rim easily. Once it slips over the rim it extracts ok right? That click is the sound of the extractor popping over the rim. I agree with the others on sending it back. Savage needs to make it right.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Done. Thanks all.

13. c3shooter

When a round goes ALL the way in, the extractor would be in place- in the groove. If the extractor is sitting against the back of the cartridge, the bolt will not want to close.

As they say in Brooklyn- Gnome sane?

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Check the rims of the cartridges see if you see any marks on them.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Gnome sane.

16. c3shooter

Yep- as in "Hey! I'm just sane- her bruddah is wid one of da famblies- you dan wanna be messing wit her- Gnome sane? :p

17. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

You said you herd a click before the cartidge would seat or the bolt would close . I was thinking as someone else poited out it could be a sticky extractor, and the snap was the extractor slipping over the case rim.
    F.K.
    Sorry did not reads Bears responce before posting.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I think you're right, thanks. It just went out to Savage this morning, I'll post the outcome once I get it back. Some people (especially me) might learn something from it.