Help with my choice

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by xdm11chad, Jan 25, 2012.

1. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

Originally wanted the stag model 2 tricked out with all the goods and a eotech 512...
    Or I can get the ruger SR-15 tricked out without a eotech yes my wife says one or the other!!! I'm kinda new so please what would you guys do

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Got links to the rifles in question? And what goodies are you thinking about?

3. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

I don't have links I'm on my iPhone and I just mean tricked out with laser lights coffee maker lol just kidding
    If I go with the stag I can have a eotech says my wife if I go for the ruger I cannot have the eotech
    Ruger is a piston gun and the stag is a gas gun

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Quentin is all about the stats. Give him details, and he'll give you good feedback.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well just speaking in generalities the Stag with EoTech is a better buy than the piston Ruger (SR-556?) without.

A DI AR is just fine but look at other brands than just Stag. The Ruger is heavy and overpriced. Not saying it's a bad gun but you can get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

6. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

Thanks bud, and my dealer keeps stag and dpms I honestly like the stag more than the dpms tho so just in general what would you do?
    Stag or dpms

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

um I'd take a Colt over a Stag anyday of the year, about the same price too.

I will say tho that Stag's no hassle customer service is very nice.

Look at Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defence, Spike's......

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Get a Daniel Defense with Eotech. A perfect marriage. ;)

9. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

They do go together rather well ;)

10. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

Went with stag model 3 my dealer here is a stag dealer so lifetime warranty all I do if I have a problem is go a few blocks down swap weapons I like stag also

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well where are the pictures!!! :D:D:D

12. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Ruger Sr556 is a solid AR15, dual stage piston, short stroke design:
    [​IMG]

Keeps the BCG very clean compared to DI guns, when it is maintenance time there is a lot less required cleaning of the BCG compared to DI. The piston is very easy to clean.

During shooting I feel the Ruger (SR556 and SR556C) two stage piston and short stroke results in a lot less felt recoil then either my Colt LE6920 carbine and even less than my Colt 6601 Match HBAR.

The only thing less felt recoil in 5.56mm is the FN SCAR 16S.

You get 3 PMAGS, Troy Back up iron sights (best out there in my opinion), Troy rail which has a very nice thin profile and offers plenty of rail space, hogue grip and storage bag (not really liking the bag but better than nothing). The trigger is kinda hard, I swapped out a CMC trigger.

I was so impressed with the SR556 I also picked up a SR556C:
    [​IMG]

They hold up just fine against the Colts (DIs) and other gas piston guns like the FN SCARS:
    [​IMG]

Just an opinion I'm expressing through my own personal experience through shooting them back to back. I have shot a Stag but did not care for it.

13. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Congrats! Pics please and I hope you enjoy your AR and it serves you well! :D:cool:

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Good choice, i love my Stag

15. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

I should be picking this up on Wednesday!!! I cant wait eotech 512 is what I picked out for my optics. I just think in a bad time AA batteries would be easier to find than a cr123 lol anyone have a opinion on the 512

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have the 512, ive had mine for about 6 years. I went with mine for the same reason that you mentioned.i have been very pleased with mine. The AA batteries last a long time

ForumRunner_20120129_001814.jpg

17. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

What would you say run time on yours is. Low setting in the day light of course

18. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

And before I forget what battery do you recommend I run?

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I dont shoot it everyday, but the batteries will normally last 2 months before needing to change

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I prefer duracell but here lately ive been using rayovac. Rayovac are a little cheaper than duracell and are just as good