help with marlin 60

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Kdub, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has some good pictures of an action on a marlin 60. Something is not quite right with mine but i cant tell what it is. I think it has something to do with my ejector spring. I have pics but dont know how to post them. Something isnt quite right with the orientation so im looking for some good pics to see how to put it together. After disassembling it I can't get it to go back together and function properly so im assuming I did something to the action.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Kdub, try out Numrich or Brownell's as they have some schematics of this rifle. maybe this will help you out. i tore mine down and had to refer to one to get it back together properly.

3. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Yeah I tried that, the problem was it was all exploded so I couldnt tellyhe finer points of assembly. I may have to try and track someone down locally who has one.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

5. m72law

m72law New Member

youtube..[ame]http://youtu.be/QrApJ2DAQ1I[/ame]

6. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Search for Arrowdodger Model 60 disassembly.

Its a total tear-down & reinstall with pics of each step.

7. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Think I got it with Big Shreks advice. You are a life saver.

8. Axxe55

:D
    Big Shrek is pretty savvy with those Marlin rimfires. :D

9. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Seriously! He is the end all be all go to Marlin master.

10. big shrek

Thanks Guys :)

After you get your first one-hole group at 50 yards for under $100, its hard to resist ending up with one Marlin of each type :)
    I started with a Marlin 25MN for $85, first day at the range I was outshooting guys with much more expensive .17HMR rigs :)

After getting the Marlin bug about 6 years ago and it turned into a hobby...so easy to fix, so cheap to find at pawn shops/yard sales...
    phenominal precision for low bucks...next thing ya know I've got 8-9 of 'em in the safe & one more on layaway...
    and fixing 'em for free at the local range when I spot someone having an issue (1/2 Remington ammo probs and 1/2 Ejector Wire alignment...LOL) ;)

The one thing that drove me nuts was the lack of info on the net...so between me and a couple other Marlin Nuts,
    we started really working hard to get the important stuff posted on a variety of sites so that anyone could fix 'em up
    and be happy as we are with 'em...so now there's LOTS of stuff posted where anyone can find it...
    and tons more to learn & share with each rifle I buy :)

11. Axxe55

the Marlin M60 is an excellent rimfire rifle and a pure joy to shoot. accurate and inexpensive. i wish i could find more of them to buy and fix up myself. i would like to find one of the nicer older ones with the walnut stock to refinish and shoot. best i can determine, mine was made prior to 1983 and i really enjoy it. cleaned it up, refinished the stock and metalwork, mounted a scope on it and now i just shoot the snot out of it!

12. big shrek

Okies, I just had a weird little issue with my 99-G (Marlin 60 varient)...
    bolt was sticking like Crazy...and I hadn't fired it in over a year!!
    Went to load & plug a snake, and ended up using a shovel because it jammed up...

So...fiddled with it a bit, bolt is catching about 1/2 way for some odd reason...hrm...
    First loosened the action/stock screws first to see if weather/other factors had caused a binding condition...nope, still sticking...
    Next, removed stock...still sticking, so the stock's ruled out.
    Next, removed the action...everything's still clean...hrm...
    Finally, pulled the bolt...check the recoil spring & guide....check the bolt...HEY, what's this on the bolt??

Find a glue-like substance on the lower half of the bolt, both sides...WTF? Where the heck did that come from??
    No freeking idea...maybe a combo of dirt & oil congealing over a year+ time??
    Cleaned the bolt, reaassembled...alrighty then, we're fine again!!

Check my notes to see what I cleaned it with last time...oh yeah, that was the Brake Cleaner test...
    so evidently, over time the stuff in the pores of the bolt leaked out and stuck between the bolt & receiver...
    maybe also pulling in dust particles as well...causing a Sticky Situation...at least that's my guess ;)

Back to Ye Olde Hoppe's #9!!
    That's what I get for using a Non-Gun cleaner in a gun...shame on me!!