help with info about old .22 revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Craleb, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Craleb

Craleb New Member

Hello I am hoping someone can help me figure out more info on my revolver.
    I know its german made and has "fabico mod 4" on it
    Its. 22 caliber 8 shot double action revolver.

There is absolutely nothing on the internet about it that I can find. Closest thing I found was a short story about a mod 3.. but not mod 4.

Is the barrel removable? There is a little give like it is screwed in..

Does anyone know how old it is?

There are a few little symbols on it but I can't tell what they are except one is. Like a sheipd with "62" in it. Any info or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance

Also hope I'm posting in the correct place as this is my first post.

2. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

how about a picture? sounds like your describing a 22 revolver...need a bit more info. oh, and welcome to the forum from Wisconsin

3. Craleb

Craleb New Member

Here are some pics. I should have posted these in the first place. Sorry.

Attached Files:

4. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I checked it out and found that Fabico was an importer located in Jacksonville Fla. That revolver is German made and is similar in quality to the RG. It's worth approx. $100 in exc. condition. In the shape this one is in you'd have to pay someone to take it. Stick it with the loose barrel into a crusher so no one will get hurt trying to shoot it. Sorry I had to tell you it's a POS.

5. Craleb

Craleb New Member

Thanks for the info. Thats a bummer :-( I havent fired it in a while thankfully never got hurt. The barrel on turns about 1 to 2 mm like a screw not up down left or right so I felt like the bullet hole was still aligned. But... Better safe than horribly maimed I suppose.

6. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Before you do something extreme, take it to a gunsmith for a once over. It may be perfectly safe to shoot. Get the facts before you trash it. good luck

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I agree. For one thing, it looks like it has a very nice handle.

Don't laugh, good ones can be very hard to find, at any price.

8. Craleb

Craleb New Member

Thanks I will go to a gunsmith today and see what they think

9. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

They don't call them suicide guns or Saturday night specials for nothing. A gunsmith will charge you, unless he's a friend, or family member more than what it's worth to check it, let alone repair it. That movement in the barrel can cause too wide a gap between the barrel and cylinder. Don't let anyone you like stand beside you while firing, cause there's a good chance it'll be spitting some lead out from the side and you should also wear eye protection as well. It's your revolver, so do whatever you feel you must.

10. Craleb

Craleb New Member

Well damn the closest gunsmith is 60 miles away -_- .... I just don't know. Ill look into just getting a new one for the mean time

Thanks again everyone

11. IDVague

IDVague New Member

I have several old guns, some in pretty bad condition. Most I would not shoot unless it was a situation where death was imminent. However, I have had these guns for years, even decades, and they have never done me or anyone else any harm. As long as you are a responsible owner, neither will yours. I'll never understand the mentality of those who will tell you to rush out and destroy a weapon simply because it is neither new or pristine in condition. If you don't need to shoot the gun, or need to have it repaired, please don't think it mandatory that you do anything with it. Put a lock on it, attach a note to it warning anyone that it is unsafe to fire, or sell it to someone who wants a display piece. Just don't overreact.

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Why would my words be taken literally? When someone tells another to jump in a lake is that meant to be taken literally? This gun is a piece of crap and anyone who knows anything about guns wouldn't be too quick to fire it unless like you said death was imminent. It does belong in a crusher, but like I said it's up to the owner to do as he wishes with it. He can even take it to be repaired, refinished and even engraved if he has mind to. Why someone would want to even own it unless it had a sentimental value, such as belonging to dear old grandpa, is beyond me?

Hopefully one would have a gun of higher quality so as to never having to resort to using it if death were imminent. I too question the mentality of others from time to time, as well.

13. HankStone

HankStone New Member

If you do decide to shoot it,use standard velocity 22s subsonic,not hi-velocity!!

14. Craleb

Craleb New Member

Well I went to the range and shot it about 50 times with no problem and its pretty accurate at 25 meters, don't get mad at me for not listening I was advised by a gun expert that it was safe. So all be keeping it. Thanks again guys!

15. BVAL

BVAL New Member

One last thought, if you decide to not shoot it anymore or just junk it. Before I cut it in half with a bandsaw, and throw it in the garbage, I would not talk to my local gun shops first. I would get on line and check out gun part sites to see if by chance they have parts for that manufacture. Maybe it won't be much, but they might want to buy it from you for their parts inventory. There is always somebody out in gun land looking for hard to find parts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,give it a shot !