Help with ID'ing a flintlock Remington

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by jswalker4, Nov 28, 2009.

1. jswalker4

jswalker4 New Member

Hello,
    I am a handgun collector but along with inheriting them from my father, I also have this Remington's 1858 manufactured in Ilion NY. I see some info on the web but nothing definitive to help me id it. I have included pics and was wondering if someone would have the time to look and possibly id this one. I tried to take pics of the markings. barrel shows 1857 and NJ and the buttplate has US on it.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Jeff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

JS:

Post some additional photos of the overall rifle.

JS, this is not a flintlock. I cannot identify it, but then again I am no expert.

For the "real" experts out there, is that a "tape" priming system on the side-lock?

3. jswalker4

jswalker4 New Member

TX:
    Thanks for taking the time to look! I told you I had no idea what i was talking about when it comes to longarms... :eek:
    I am only able to post 4 pics so I need to figure out how to add these additional four. Regards, Jeff

4. jswalker4

jswalker4 New Member

Deleted two pics and added two different ones

TX: Since I can only post 4 total pics, I added these two that hopefully show the gun better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jswalker4

jswalker4 New Member

I have embedded images as well as links to additional photos which I think allows me to post more than four?, submitted, waiting for the moderators to post. Thanks! Jeff

6. Hawg

Hawg New Member

It's an 1861 Springfield rifle musket contracted by Remington with a Maynard tape priming system.

7. jswalker4

jswalker4 New Member

Musket ID

Thanks Hawg! I really appreciate you taking the time to ID the musket pics I posted. It gives me a great start in looking up more info around the history and what if any value the gun holds!
    Jeff

8. Coinsmith

Coinsmith New Member

RemingtonMaynard conversion

JSWalker, hi.

I was watching your auction on this firearm on Gunbroker but missed out on a chance to bid. Will you be relisting it? I am interested in it if you are. Please email me at coinsmith@coinsmith.com. My name is Chuck, and I'm a collector for over 40 years.