Help with identification

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by shortybozz, Dec 17, 2011.

1. shortybozz

shortybozz New Member

A friend of a friend gave me a large box of opened ammo. This stuff looks old. I am looking for help to identify these two rounds. First is the .45 round, it looks like lead but when pressed in the vice it looks like FMJ with a gray color? You ca see the crack where the jacket broke and it has a copper color, and the lead tried to squeeze out the bottom. They mic at .450. The markings on the head are REM-UMC 18. Most of them were in a 3 round moon clip looking thing
    The second one is a rifle round. There are 180 of these and I would like to know what they are before I melt the lead down. The head stamp is FA 37 and written on the boxes is 2225. These rounds are lead with gas checks.

Attached Files:

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Cool. 45 ACP ammunition made in 1918. The three rounds in a clip is for the Colt or Smith and Wesson revolver--model of 1917. Having all that ammo in clips is a perfect reason to buy a gun to fit it. Probably corrosive primers,
    if you do decide to see if it will still go bang, clean well accordingly.

WWI ended 11/11/18, so your ammo was most likely made during the war.

REM-UMC is the manufacturer. Still in business. "Remington-Union Metallic
    Cartridge" IIRC.

Rifle round. Guessing 30-06. Frankford Arsenal? 1937.

Suspect they are reloads---I've never seen a lead bullet/gascheck
    military round. Not saying they couldn't exist--there's LOTS of stuff I've
    never seen.:)

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A military re-enactor of WW 1 would love to have that. That is jacketed ammo, made during WW 1. If not corrosive primed, is is mercuric primed. Would not shoot, but check some of the re-enactor forums. You might get trampled.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The .45 ACP is cupro-nickle jacketed. Commonly seen now in European ammo. A small amount of nickle is alloyed into the copper for the jacket. They will be slightly attracted to a magnet