Help with hunting rifle purchase

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Nyuu, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

I want to get a hunting rifle in the next month or two, and I'm not sure *exactly* where to start. I've read about 20 or so full threads to get a feel for the forums and to get an idea, but I'd like a little more personal help.

I've been shooting all types of guns for many many years now but never purchased one. I've shot .22s all my life so I want to stay away from .22s. I'm looking for something I can hunt deer with and enjoy at the outdoor shooting range I go to very often.

I've read the stickies and such, so I'm fairly certain that I'm looking for either a .308 or a 30-06. I kind of understand the scope range I want, I believe it's like 3x9 or 4x16 for those calibers (I also understand the 3rd number will determine low light condition handling and that I'll probably decide that when I'm actually purchasing it).

My price range is anywhere up to around 800-900 dollars. I'm picky when it comes to my weapons, which is why I've never bought one. I want something that'll look as great as it shoots. I'm accurate myself, so I want a gun that'll be accurate with me. I'm not looking for someone to do all the work for me. I'm just looking to get suggestions, experiences, links to reviews, and whatnot.

Again, I'm very new to gun buying, ammo buying, scope buying, etc. I've shot them all my life but it's always been with family, and friends more recently. So any and all help will do me good, and sorry if I've not been detailed enough or I've mixed anything up; or broken any of the forum rules.

Edit: I'd like to add that I will be researching as much as I can on the forums as well, so I'll add more to my thread if I learn anything new. :)

Edit2: PS - I tend to talk a lot when I type... sorry for the novels you'll have to read (for future reference)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, first off welcome out of the shadows. ;)

There is nothing wrong with either caliber, but the .30-06 really is God's own cartridge. With that gun you can load for animals from small to big and it will take down everything that currently is roaming North America of the two and four legged variety. :p

Now, the .30-06 is a much more punishing round than the .308, but that is where custom loading from a reloading bench can help. The .30-06 is a long action or magnum actioned rifle, so it's got a bigger opening where the shell goes in. This makes the action more susceptible to flexing, but not so much that you would notice in a standard hunting rifle.

The .308 is a small action round, which means the rifle action is smaller and more sturdy in most applications.

Once again, you probably are not going to notice a difference in a hunting type rifle with either action.

For a good place to start on a stock rifle, I would suggest looking at a Howa 1500 in either round.

Howa is made in Japan in a CNC machined factory, so it's very sturdy. It's not American made, but it is well imported and supported. I really like the action and have one of my own. It is a very good platform to begin with.

They can be had pretty cheap, around $450 or so dollars without optics, and they are common enough that you don't need some high dollar scope rings to mount up the glass you end up getting for it.

Speaking of glass, you probably don't need much more than 3x9 for standard hunting applications. With a scope dialed into "9" your field of view is going to be so small, it will be about worthless for scanning for animals. With it opened up on "3", you will have a better field of view and then can dial in for a more precise shot.

We have a ton of hunters and shooters here, so I imagine some more folks will be along shortly to help you out.

JD

3. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

Wow awesome post, thank you for the extremely quick reply and the welcoming. Yea I think I'm going to go for the 30-06, it's been suggested to me by my father as well so I'm definitely leaning towards it now. It shouldn't make a difference but I forgot to add earlier that I live in central Texas.

So far I love the forums, I've learned a lot of helpful stuff. I'm relatively new to the "gun world" despite having been shooting them for around 12 years. I've grown up around family members with guns, friends with guns, and games with guns; never owned one though. So I may question some of the lingo in the future, just a heads up, haha. (I'm 20, so I'm still young.)

Edit: Whoops, completely forgot to mention that I will definitely start researching the Howa 1500. Thanks, lol

4. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I will give you the standard recomendation I give everyone for a great first hunting rifle. Remington 700 SPS Stainless and top it off with a Lepold VX-II in 3-9x40. It is as classic an all around hunting gun as you can get in the USA. I would go for .308 because I'm a big short action fan but my favorite caliber for this gun is 7mm-08. Ammo is plentiful and cheap and you get all the perferomance of a .308 with a hair less recoil.

It'll take care of anything that needs putting down in Texas.

The beauty of the 700 is that aftermarket parts are all over the place. Later on if you feel like customizing your gun a little and aftermarket stock and trigger will give you a world class gun that's a little more unique to you.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I would also recommend a .308. I'm partial to the Howa. I've had mine for years. I put a Sightron SII 3-12x42mmAO on her a few years ago, it is the Big Sky model now. I can honestly say I have not found any ammo it does not shoot well. I use 150, 165 gr SP for hunting and 168gr match for long range target. Howa rifles are pillar bedded and rock solid.

6. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I'll add another vote for the Howa, but in 7mm-08 as Wambli mentioned. Easier on the shoulder, better ballistics, and plenty enough for anything in Texas.

7. opaww

opaww New Member

I am a big Howa fan, and would not trade mine for all the money in the world. I am also a big fan of the .308.

8. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Another vote for .308

From what I've read, Howa is great but I bought a similar gun which is Weatherby Vanguard in .308 for $395 from Buds

9. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

Awesome thank you everyone, I'll look into a .308 instead and I'll also look at the Remington 700 SPS.

If yall don't mind, what's gonna be the major differences between the .308 and the 30-06? From Dillinger I got that it's a smaller round, but maybe I just misinterpreted what small action means.

10. jpattersonnh

The cartridge is shorter. 51mm for .308, 63mm for .30-06. Both use .308 bullets. The 700 is similar to the Howa, but has a round receiver, not a flat bottom and would have to be pillar bedded as the Howa is. The 1500 uses 700 scope bases. The Vangaurd is a 1500.

11. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I'd agree with Dillinger on the 30.06. Very versatile round.

There are a lot of used rifles out there in the price range you are looking at.

I've never shot a Howa, but if Opaww says he wouldnt tade his for all the money in the world that is saying a lot!

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

13. jpattersonnh

I shoot Savage rifles, but that thing is Butt Ugly. They should have called it the Hillary or Nancy!!!!

14. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

I was at my local wally world this morning and they had one in 308 and one in 223(5.56), they didnt look that bad and they price was right would make a good back up rifle.

15. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone, they're very helpful. I'm surprised I've gotten so many tbh, again thank you all.

I've been reading some more, and took into consideration the 7mm suggestion. What would that affect. I'm a numbers person, so don't worry about giving me too much information number-wise. I've shot a 7 mag before (know idea what brand or anything, we always just called it "the 7 Mag"), and I loved it. But what exactly does it mean? Is it faster, more powerful, or whatnot. I found a Remington 700 CDL in all 3 calibers suggested in this thread, and the 7mm was the most expensive pricing but only 50$ more, so if it's a better caliber, I'm willing to pay the extra 50$ for sure.

Also, aside from the caliber size, what should I know about the Remington 700 CDL. Is it as good as what has been suggested here? Better? Worse? It kinda stood out to me when I was doing some research, and I found a place very near to me that sells them.

16. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Make sure that you factor in ammo cost and availability. .308 and 30-06 ammo is almost sold everywhere and in various "flavors". If cost is of no issue, go ahead and look at the more exotic calibers.

If the rifle is purely for hunting and not for hobby target shooting the cost might not factor in as much. If you reload (or plan to) then that will also change things a bit too.

Recoil is probably the biggest downside of the more powerful magnum caliber rifles. If you are just going to shoot deer and at short distances, why pay for more (ammo wise) and punish yourself? It all boils down to what you will use it for and the exact reason why I chose .308 over .270 and 30-06.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

my only complaint with the 308 is case capacity on loading. its got a few more compressed loads or loads near max capacity of the case than i care for. particles of powder tend to hop out of my progressive press meaning i gotta stop and clean it more often.

7mm mag is way harder to find and way more pricey ammo wise. if your biggest game is gonna be white tail 7mm mag is a lot. but hey i been tipping over whitetail since the mid 80's with a 458winmag ;)

18. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

Yea I'm probably gonna stick with 30-06 then. I'm ok with bullet price being higher for the 7mm mag, but if it's more of a pain to find then it's not worth the trouble. I'll check the local stores first before making a descision. My friend also uses a website (i think it's like ammunitiontogo.com or something), so I'll check that site out in a sec. Just talked to him about it. But I want to start hunting bigger game eventually, so it wouldn't hurt to have a 7mm mag for the future.

Well, now that I've got an idea on caliber. Anything else I should know? What scope brands are reliable, and what is the "average" objective lens size? And is it easy to find a 3-9x with an objective lens higher than 40mm? Or is it even worth it to buy one bigger than that? I do want to hunt in low light conditions as well.

Also, my friends dad reloads every bullet he shoots religiously. I've never done it or looked into it, but that is for sure an option; if I have to use his equipment at the very least or let him do it for me. So that'll cut my ammo costs quite a bit from what I've heard.

19. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

The Savage Edge is a lot of bang for the buck but probably not as flhshy as you want. It has now changed it's name to Savage Axis. Accurate,Lite and made in U.S.A. I have one in .308, its a sleeper, in the vernacular of a Hot Rodder. Doesn't look like much but will surprise you.

20. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

I love Savage guns, and although the entry level model (Edge/Axis) is not too beautiful, they do have nicer models that are still a great value. I shoot a "Hunter" Model 11, and I consider it a nice looking weapon. For deer, any of the mentioned calibers will be fine, mine is a 7mm08. All of the brands/models mentioned in this thread are quality, and I consider personal preference to be the most important factor. Good luck with your decision and hunting!