Help with gift for my brother!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by getem2011, Dec 4, 2012.

1. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I am getting my brother a semi auto shotgun for Xmas. He will be using it for skeet shooting and home defense. I would like to keep the price under $300 if possible. Please give me suggestions as I am new to long guns.

Thanks,
    getem

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

check out mossberg. they have a nice one.. and fairly affordable

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Mossberg 930 or 935 I think is what the model # is for the one jj mentioned

4. jjshooting

jjshooting New Member

Whats wrong with the Maverick 88? $200.00. I've put over 500 rounds in it and no issues. Bought it for my son, and I like it more than my Mossy. 95percent same gun.

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not a semi-auto.

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

one gun for hd and skeet is a oxymoran!!!

7. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Ok well then something that CAN do both.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Home defense barrels are to thin for shooting skeet. After he shoots 10 rounds the barrel will be so hot he will have problems loading the gun. A skeet barrel is long and heavy compared to a SD barrel. He really needs a 28" barrel for skeet shooting.

$300 is not an adequate budget to get a semi-auto shotgun. $300 isn't enough to get a pump combo with a 28" skeet barrel and a 18.5" SD barrel. Maybe you can get another family member to match your $300.

9. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

10. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Thank you for all your replies. I realize that a pump may be better because it will open up a larger group of choices. He is also a novice when it comes to shotguns so maybe it would be best if I get him something simple. What are some good, cool, and affordable pumps that are in my budget? PLEASE HELP time is wasting away as I approach Christmas.

For those of you who are familiar with armslist here is what what is around me.

http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?location=illinois&category=shotguns&sellertype=1

If you have time to kill please help me out. (New guns from sites are welcome too)

Thanks again everyone

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The above mentioned maverick 88 is good, mossberg 500, 535, 835 all are good. A used 870 remington would be good as well.

12. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Troll much lately? Buddy is just asking for advice not to be shat on. 300 ish WILL get you a pump with 28" and 18.5" barrel. Mossberg 500. I did that and it works great.

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Mossberg 500, 590 Maverick 88 or Remington 870 are all good reliable guns available in a variety of styles with a ton of aftermarket parts available for customizing. Mossberg, and probably Remington, makes a combo package with an 18" HD barrel as well as a longer 24" or more field barrel that would be suitable for skeet. Swapping the barrels takes all of 5 minutes and requires no special skills or tools, just twist of the magazine cap and pop off the barrel.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6Ng_Gie6c[/ame]

14. metal408

metal408 New Member

Picked up a maverick 88 earlier this year for just a little over $300 and I love it! Great quality, works like a charm with about 75 shells through her. You can definitely feel the quality in your hands, and I've never once regretted her wishing I had paid a little more for something else. Totally customizable for everything you would "need" in my opinion. She's the girl I've got next to the bed side and depend on for home protection.

Maverick 88 5+1 w/ 20" barrel

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

16. akers06

akers06 New Member

I would find somebody that knows a little about guns to go with you and hit the pawn shops you can find a lot of good deals at pawn shops

17. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I decided to go with the maverick 88 because it's his first shotgun. Thanks for your help everyone.

18. metal408

metal408 New Member

He wont be disappointed and if he wants the gun as a dual purpose firearm and intends to hunt with it I would buy the longer vent rib barrel with interchangable choke tubes, IF you wanna be nice lol